• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America's Top Prospects

John Smith

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 

According to Baseball America, 9 of top 10 prospects in #Angels farm system are pitchers. 2B Alex Yarbrough (8) only pos. player in top 10.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna

Top #Angels P prospects: 1. Sean Newcomb, 2. Ricardo Sanchez, 3. Cam Bedrosian, 4. Chris Ellis, 5. Joe Gatto, 6. Victor Alcantara, 7. Jairo Diaz, 9. Nick Tropeano, 10. Kyle McGowin.

Bedrosian ahead of Ellis? Eh.

I'm anxious to see Newcomb and Ellis pitch in San Bernardino next year.

Ellis is my personal favorite. 92-96 MPH fastball that he sinks and cuts, plus change-up and power curve that has the makings of a legit out pitch. If he can throw his curve more consistently, improve his command and pick up some velocity like scouts are saying he the potential to do, he has a chance to be a top of the rotation arm.

Edited by SoWhat

Now that the pitching depth has been built pretty much back to where it should be, will we see a return to drafting the best players available with maybe a little more of an eye towards position players.

I generally agree with your statement but I still think the Angels will continue to emphasize pitching more than position players. In particular left-handed pitching because they are not easy to find and carry a lot of value. I'd expect that the Angels would, when appropriate, draft more power, preferentially because that is also a rarer commodity in today's environment.

In fact this is really an interesting subject to me in terms of "player currency". Dipoto has been quoted about his feeling regarding pitching being "like gold" in terms of market currency. Also this year (and last year) right-handed power has carried a premium. It's fascinating to see how the market shifts due to scarcity (growing shortage of 3B for instance) and durability (pitchers blowing their arms out).

Drafting is heavily influenced not only by taking the best player available but also by long term needs and what the market will deem as a more valuable currency in 2-3 years time (power being one right now). Lots of factors involved.

• 1 month later...

2015 Revised Top 10 Prospects

1. Andrew Heaney, lhp

2. Sean Newcomb, lhp

3. Cam Bedrosian, rhp

4. Chris Ellis, rhp

5. Joe Gatto, rhp

6. Victor Alcantara, rhp

7. Kyle Kubitza, 3b

8. Roberto Baldoquin, ss

9. Alex Yarbrough, 2b

10. Nick Tropeano, rhp