• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mystery team in on Lester

KevinJ14

I would like to think that the Angels are the mystery team.  No draft choice compensation attached to the player, the team philosophy is that they would go over the cap for the right player, and we could still move a piece or two off of the roster to stay relatively close to the cap. 

Plus, I think we need another top shelf arm to team with Weaver until Richards comes back.

I am assuming that the previous lymphoma will not have any long term effect on his arm down the road?

It would seem to not be the case, having been some 8 years since he battled it. 

He seems to be VERY durable (at least 31 starts in each of the past 7 seasons).

Although he has pitched 1,680 MLB innings, regular and post seasons combined, which is quite a bit already. 

At most, I would be comfortable with 6 years/$150 million, basically Grienke money although Lester is the better pitcher and more durable. 

But Lester is also 36 in what would be year 6 of a new contract, and by the close of 2020 would have some 3,000 MLB innings under his belt.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Signing Lester makes a lot of sense for the Angels. No loss of their pick, shores up the rotation until Richards comes back, makes the rotation line up well for the post season with a healthy GRich, Lester's a lefty who has a shot at aging well, etc. All it takes is Arte being willing to go over the luxury cap.

My bet is they make a huge push for him. Doesn't mean they sign him, but I'd think less of Arte if money prevents him from at least trying to make a move that makes this much sense.

Signing Lester makes a lot of sense for the Angels. No loss of their pick, shores up the rotation until Richards comes back, makes the rotation line up well for the post season with a healthy GRich, Lester's a lefty who has a shot at aging well, etc. All it takes is Arte being willing to go over the luxury cap.

My bet is they make a huge push for him. Doesn't mean they sign him, but I'd think less of Arte if money prevents him from at least trying to make a move that makes this much sense.

Agree. 

A starting 4 of Richards, Lester, Weaver and Shoemaker is VERY GOOD! 

CJ as our 5th starter ain't too shabby and if he fails, we can insert Rasmus, Santiago, Trop or Sum Yung Gui in the 5th spot. 

Not sure about that. Isnt Wilson coming off the books soon. It could be like swapping Lester for Wilson after this year.

This season or next is his last I believe

3 team race according to this article for lester

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/03/jon-lester-is-ready-to-make-a-decision-red-sox-giants-or-cubs/

Edited by nando714

Not sure about that. Isnt Wilson coming off the books soon. It could be like swapping Lester for Wilson after this year.

Two more years, same with Weaver.

After 2016, the Angels have a lot of salary commitments that will be off the book (Weaver, Wilson, Aybar, Kendrick, Ianetta, Street, Smith). Although they will need to resign or otherwise replace some of those guys, they could sign Lester without it creating a problem for payroll by 2017.

After 2016, the Angels have a lot of salary commitments that will be off the book (Weaver, Wilson, Aybar, Kendrick, Ianetta, Street, Smith). Although they will need to resign or otherwise replace some of those guys, they could sign Lester without it creating a problem for payroll by 2017.

It's possible (maybe even probable) that replacements for many of these guys are already in the system.

I could see them re-signing Weaver and Aybar though to short term deals, as they will be 34 and 33 respectively in 2017.

Still, the others would clear some $45 million/season in payroll by after 2016.