• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Random Thoughts Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I was on an email chain that was discussing a new contestant card for, are you ready for this?

Senior Citizen Bachelors and Bachelorettes.

Yup, coming this fall is going to be a more mature Bachelor looking for love in all of the geriatic places. I can hardly wait for the date where the contestant falls and breaks their hip. Or at the rose cerimony someone heart attacks out and we have to spend the next group date at the crematorium. 

The funny part is this show has been on so long the first Bachelor may just qualify age wise to do a repeat. 

On 4/20/2019 at 9:51 PM, Taylor said:

Pouring a bowl of cereal and then realizing you have no milk.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:27 PM, Taylor said:

It's like pouring a bowl of your favorite cereal, only to find you don't have any milk. 

Will somebody please buy Taylor some milk?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, calscuf said:

A lot of public notices you see by politicians these days have someone doing sign language translations.  I don’t know much about sign language but why are they all so animated?  Does sign language include exaggerated facial and body expressions by the person doing it?  Not trying to be a dick, I’m genuinely wondering.

Some of them are really animated.

Is it the same for all languages?  I had to look it up. It's not.

American Sign Language | NIDCD

There is no universal sign language. Different sign languages are used in different countries or regions. For example, British Sign Language (BSL) is a different language from ASL, and Americans who know ASL may not understand BSL

2 hours ago, Redondo said:

Some of them are really animated.

Is it the same for all languages?  I had to look it up. It's not.

American Sign Language | NIDCD

There is no universal sign language. Different sign languages are used in different countries or regions. For example, British Sign Language (BSL) is a different language from ASL, and Americans who know ASL may not understand BSL

That was one of the conversations at Camp this weekend.  Whether say Americans and British people who sign could talk to each other.  I understand that when they spell out words, it could be different depending on the language.  But you would think that the sign for a tree would be the same across all sign languages.

And BTW, this only came up because the bucket list of one of the guys at camp is to have sex with a deaf person.  And it's because he wants to hear what kind of sounds she makes when she can't hear what kind of sounds she makes.

11 hours ago, calscuf said:

A lot of public notices you see by politicians these days have someone doing sign language translations.  I don’t know much about sign language but why are they all so animated?  Does sign language include exaggerated facial and body expressions by the person doing it?  Not trying to be a dick, I’m genuinely wondering.

We’ve been wondering the same thing. It’s pretty entertaining to watch them. 
We’re also curious why they do some kind of tag team after a few minutes of signing and have a reliever come in to finish.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:47 PM, calscuf said:

When I was managing a Shipping Department I had a guy named Joe that worked as a Packer, he was Deaf.  El Camino College had an ASL Interpreter program, so I started taking Sign Language classes at night.  Yes, the "animation" is part of the communication process.  Sometimes you will see the Interpreter puff out their cheeks, it is to give emphasis to what they are signing with their hands.  So puffing your cheeks and signing "hard" with your hands, would mean really hard.  The facial expressions give nuance to what they are signing. 

As a side note, my interaction with Joe completely changed.  We started "talking" about sports, politics and all sorts of things that we had never done prior to my learning ASL.  I found out that he was an avid bowler, and that time I was into bowling as well.  He was in a deaf league, and I went a few times and subbed on his team.  It was really cool to be able to "talk" with the other people at the lanes.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:27 AM, Tank said:

We’ve been wondering the same thing. It’s pretty entertaining to watch them. 
We’re also curious why they do some kind of tag team after a few minutes of signing and have a reliever come in to finish.

As I recall professional interpreters switch off to help minimize repetitive motion injuries.