• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB umpire comes out

way too many people

the way you phrased the rest of your post shows there's a long ways to go still

no, it doesn't, unless you want to project onto me things that arent real to support your own bullshit.  You read into my post negative things because thats what you are used to seeing, but youre reading it wrong in this case.

i fully support gay rights, one of my 2 best friends from school is gay, it changed nothing after he came out.

What i find irritating is that everytime someone comes out its this big thing like the rest of us have any right or care in the matter.  I dont beleive its anyones business to know who, how, when, why, or if anyone is sleeping with anyone else.

Finding someone you care about and to care about you in this screwed up world really is hard enough.. i would deny that to noone.  I just dont get why this matters so deeply to some people that its newsworthy.

I always file this in the attention whore category. Unless he really wants gay kids to feel comfortable about pursuing an umpire career in a male sport... I don't know. Seems like he is a decent business man too because he'll be asked to give speeches around the country now and perhaps he'll even write a book or something for extra income... eh whatever, good for his hustle.

I always file this in the attention whore category. Unless he really wants gay kids to feel comfortable about pursuing an umpire career in a male sport... I don't know. Seems like he is a decent business man too because he'll be asked to give speeches around the country now and perhaps he'll even write a book or something for extra income... eh whatever, good for his hustle.

i'd like to add one last thing. everyone in baseball has known that he was gay for 29 years. his husband has an mlb id card. 29 years and he never brought it up publicly. they wanted personal life photos for the story and he thought, should i intentionally omit the most significant person in my life?

my questions are, wouldn't that hurt your feelings if you were his husband of 29 years? and does a guy that has lived openly gay in his work and personal life for 29 years sound like an attention whore?

Edited by ukyah

i'd like to add one last thing. everyone in baseball has known that he was gay for 29 years. his husband has an mlb id card. 29 years and he never brought it up publicly. they wanted personal life photos for the story and he thought, should i intentionally omit the most significant person in my life?

my questions are, wouldn't that hurt your feelings if you were his husband of 29 years? and does a guy that has lived openly gay in his work and personal life for 29 years sound like an attention whore?

Didn't they have to have another article to point out an article he came out in that noone cared about?

Agree with Chuck. For me, it is wrong but I am not the judge. I do get tired of ESPN, NFL, and now MLB praising these guys all the time. I want sports news not political points of view. Reality is that a player would catch a lot more grief for being outspoken in his faith. The media would crucify any athlete who strongly called it immoral. That would take courage. Does not take courage when the whole world kisses your ass for coming out. Did anyone think he would be ridiculed? M Sam and Collins twin showed how things would be reported.

Agree with Chuck. For me, it is wrong but I am not the judge. I do get tired of ESPN, NFL, and now MLB praising these guys all the time. I want sports news not political points of view. Reality is that a player would catch a lot more grief for being outspoken in his faith. The media would crucify any athlete who strongly called it immoral. That would take courage. Does not take courage when the whole world kisses your ass for coming out. Did anyone think he would be ridiculed? M Sam and Collins twin showed how things would be reported.

Are you not judging by saying it is wrong?

Being gay or not being gay is not a political point of view. Expressing your views on whether you approve or don't IS a political point of view. This wasn't in a sports magazine. This was in an LGBT magazine, so it's not sports media praising him.

By the way, for those in any profession to come out is still a courageous act. There are a lot of people who still think that one can and should be fired for being gay. There are a lot of states where there is no protection whatsoever from being discriminated against.

If your religion or your moral outlook discourages (or outlaws) homosexuality, that's fine. That's between you and your God or Supreme Being or Giant Bowl of Spaghetti.

Mark68,

What I am saying is they are free to chose their lifestyle and I am free to chose my beliefs. Both of us should have right to express our beliefs without hating or insulting each other. The issue was all over MLB network today and ESPN. I prefer to here trade rumors over umpires bedroom behaviors. Can you name states and specific cases where gay people are currently being fired? I contend more people are losing their privately owned wedding companies for not participating in gay weddings. You could have simply stated you thought my religion was wrong but you chose to compare my God to a bowl of Spaghetti. I could have compared homosexual behavior to many other sexual immoral acts but didn't because I am not judge. Tolerance has become give up your beliefs and accept popular opinion or risk being labeled a bigot.

Edited by angelinkc

Are you not judging by saying it is wrong?

Being gay or not being gay is not a political point of view. Expressing your views on whether you approve or don't IS a political point of view. This wasn't in a sports magazine. This was in an LGBT magazine, so it's not sports media praising him.

By the way, for those in any profession to come out is still a courageous act. There are a lot of people who still think that one can and should be fired for being gay. There are a lot of states where there is no protection whatsoever from being discriminated against.

If your religion or your moral outlook discourages (or outlaws) homosexuality, that's fine. That's between you and your God or Supreme Being or Giant Bowl of Spaghetti.

No he is not judging to say he feels something is morally wrong, he is giving his opinion. That's not any different than someone saying it's morally right or neutral. Judging would be him proclaiming it is unequivocally wrong and assigning some sort of punishment to it. 

wouldn't that hurt your feelings if you were his husband of 29 years?

They only recently got married but his "partner" of many years was not hidden away by any means. I read the article earlier.

his not being hidden was partially my point. the semantic of "husband" means nothing to me. they've been together for 29 years. those dudes are married.

"Scott, a veteran of 29 seasons in the majors and a crew chief for 12, said his colleagues and Major League Baseball officials have known of his sexual orientation for years, but he revealed it to the rest of the world in a story that appeared Tuesday in Outsports.com.

Actually, Scott had dropped a major hint in October when he supplied a photo showing him and his longtime partner and now husband, Michael Rausch, toReferee magazine, a trade journal that profiled him but did not address his homosexuality.

When Outsports.com followed up with an interview request, Scott asked that the piece be delayed until after the baseball playoffs to avoid becoming a distraction."

"Scott opted to do it because he wanted Rausch, his companion for the last 28 years, acknowledged in the Referee article."

Mark68,

What I am saying is they are free to chose their lifestyle and I am free to chose my beliefs. Both of us should have right to express our beliefs without hating or insulting each other. The issue was all over MLB network today and ESPN. I prefer to here trade rumors over umpires bedroom behaviors. Can you name states and specific cases where gay people are currently being fired? I contend more people are losing their privately owned wedding companies for not participating in gay weddings. You could have simply stated you thought my religion was wrong but you chose to compare my God to a bowl of Spaghetti. I could have compared homosexual behavior to many other sexual immoral acts but didn't because I am not judge. Tolerance has become give up your beliefs and accept popular opinion or risk being labeled a bigot.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/sexual-orientation-discrimination-rights-29541.html

"There is more hope at the state level. Almost half the states and the District of Columbia have laws that currently prohibit sexual orientation discrimination in both public and private jobs: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

In addition, a few states have laws prohibiting sexual orientation discrimination in public workplaces only."

This means that more than half the states allow discrimination in non-public workplaces, and a significant minority still allow it in public workplaces. As for specific cases, here's one:

http://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/work-and-health-41/occupational-health-news-507/workplace-discrimination-sexual-orientation-646404.html

As for those losing their privately owned wedding companies because they refuse to provide services for gay weddings, that is their choice to not provide those services, and the market speaks with regard to their losing their business. That is not the government telling them they can't discriminate against gay couples, that is the consumers using the power of the pocketbook.

As for the Bowl of Spaghetti, it was in reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Basically, I was saying that no matter what belief system you belong to, whatever your personal deity, you can choose what you want to believe, but your beliefs do not give you or anyone else the right to deny the rights of others.

I, for instance, cannot deny you housing or employment just because I don't happen to think your religious beliefs are valid.

And by saying that a behavior or lifestyle is wrong, you are judging it.

Edited by Mark68

Okay, so being gay is not a choice or a lifestyle. It's an orientation that people are born with. I have a gay relative. Everyone knew he was gay from the time he was six years old - I can't explain why, but everyone just knew. And lo and behold, even though nobody said a word to him about it, he came out when he was a teenager. Point being, he didn't choose it; it was who he was.

I think that some of the comments in this thread are a good example of why people are still publicly coming out. In a perfect world it would never be newsworthy because people would feel free to be themselves without worrying. But in 29 states you can still be fired for being gay (someone wanted a link for that? Here you go:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/fired-for-being-gay_n_6076492.html).

There isn't a single player who is openly gay. Not one. I'm sure there are those whose orientation is an open secret, and their teammates know, but there isn't a single player who is comfortably publicly appearing with his husband or boyfriend. And yes, there would be support if a player came out, but there would also be a lot of backlash. There would be parents who would refuse to let their kids wear his jersey number. There might even be other players who would hassle him.

So when this umpire is coming out publicly, I think he's helping to create a safe space where players and others - managers, coaches, players, whoever - will also feel safe being open about their sexuality.

Sports figures from different areas and games coming out will be news for awhile. i read the article and file it in my memory and let it prioritize itself in there and for me that won't be very high on my list.  By the time the season starts I'll probably have forgotten which ump it was who came out.