• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB umpire comes out

I'm a guy who happens to be gay. I'm not femme, and I don't hang around with them.  Just not my thing.  

I'm around guys a lot I'm not out with, and I think they're pretty normal dudes.  I work with a lot of them.  Small talk oftentimes leads to conversations about wives/girlfriends/etc or just women in general that aren't explicitly sexual. That's fine.  It's a perfectly normal place for just about any conversation between adults to go.  I always have to wonder what would happen if I join in and start talking about guys, even in a non-sexually explicit way, or about my husband or boyfriend or fling or whatever.  Will I offend them?  Will they talk about it to my co-workers?  How will it reflect on me personally?  Will it end up making my job (which I love) more difficult?  The answer to those question in many cases is yes.  They're real concerns for me, and many, many others. Those are questions that straight people never have to worry about with mundane conversation, so they just take it for granted. 

It's magnified times 100 in the sports world, I'm sure.  I'm amazed by the courage of the pro athletes who do come out.  It's incredible, really.

Over time, maybe people truly won't care anymore.  When that day comes, and if it comes in my lifetime, I'll be so happy I can't even explain it.  Long way to go. 

This pro umpire coming out effects exactly no reasonable, educated adult in a negative manner in any way, shape, or form.  And it might just be helpful to people who haven't taken that step themselves yet, pro athletes or otherwise.  If it truly doesn't matter to you, then great.  Here's to the day when everybody is just like you.  (no :cheers: emoticon?)

Eh, maybe it depends on the region. The President of the company I'm with is gay and some what of an Aunt to me (so we are close), along with gay friends or other gay family members it's not an issue when they share their domestic issues like any other couple. If people know you're gay, simply jumping in a convo about what everyone did over the weekend and saying you and your dude went to a fair or movie is nothing to alarm others about.

You see it with others and athletes that come out where there is an abundance of support. I think it's mainly gays being scared of the 2% or whatever that disagree with being gay, and I get it. The same way they don't want to hear about gays I find it equally offensive when they preach their religion or beliefs.

I don't think we are as far off as many think, but I think it's both sides and not just something where society needs to come around....I think most of Americans have already.

I don't have a problem with him coming out to friends, family, even colleagues. I have a problem of it hyped in the news. I ddon't know the guy, his orientation should not effect how he does his job, and it does not the game. So please keep your personal life personal.

hell i dont advertise every time i have sex with a woman.

quote name="cezero" post="505270" timestamp="1417550207"]

someday we'll live in a world where it doesn't matter. we're a long way from that day, unfortunately. but it gets better every year.

it's terrifying to come out for most of us, but incredibly liberating once it's done. if this guy doing it helps even one person go one less day without that w, then it's a good thing.

if him coming out publicly is bothersome for you personally...i just don't know what to say.

someday we'll live in a world where it doesn't matter.  we're a long way from that day, unfortunately.  but it gets better every year.  

it's terrifying to come out for most of us, but incredibly liberating once it's done.  if this guy doing it helps even one person go one less day without that w, then it's a good thing.  

if him coming out publicly is bothersome for you personally...i just don't know what to say.  

While I will never understand what makes one like someone of the same sex in an intimate way, I've always treated others as I would want to be treated and over the years developed many good friendships with gay men and women. The way I see it, it's not my place to judge this type of behavior that is unnatural to me, that is against what I was taught growing up. I do however have a responsibility to love my neighbor as I love myself.