• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A's trade 3B Josh Donaldson to Blue Jays for Brett Lawrie, other pieces

bloodbrother

Food for thought: 2015 Steamer projections for wRC+ from Fangraphs

Lawrie: 115

Donaldson: 126

A little optimistic for Lawrie IMO, but all things considered the drop off in offensive production might not be all that big. Considering everything they got back in the deal beyond Lawrie this would seem a small price to pay.

This is literally what you said.

I didn't realize what you ACTUALLY meant was "You cant be a threat if your team cant have a high road OPS". Talk about cherry picking stats.

Cherry picking? Your whole argument was the Giants were 12 in runs, and that I was wrong when I said they were actually a top 10 offensive team in baseball.

And yet ive repeated myself three times that they play in a pitchers park. Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.

Edited by QuinlansMinion

Again, you keep bringing up they were 12th in the majors.  Just because they were 12th doesnt mean they werent a top 10 team offensively.  You are cherry picking one statistic.  They play in a pitchers park, did you factor that into your argument?  

The Royals werent a bad offensive team either.  Which I showed you in the statistics I gave you.  

I find it funny you are going by runs scored over the whole season to make your argument for you.  You havent been watching baseball very long.  

Kansas City was 17th in OPS last year. 14th in runs. Would you really be surprised if the A's were an average offensive club next year? I agree they won't be good, but I don't see why they can't be in the 15-20 range in OPS like the Royals were this year. So yeah, you can contend with a mediocre offense. Pitching is more important anyway in the playoffs

Kansas City was 17th in OPS last year. 14th in runs. Would you really be surprised if the A's were an average offensive club next year? I agree they won't be good, but I don't see why they can't be in the 15-20 range in OPS like the Royals were this year. So yeah, you can contend with a mediocre offense. Pitching is more important anyway in the playoffs

See my post on the last page about park factors. Im tired of repeating myself.

Cherry picking? Your whole argument was the Giants were 12 in runs, and that I was wrong when I said they were actually a top 10 offensive team in baseball.

And yet ive repeated myself three times that they play in a pitchers park. Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.

No see, my argument was that they were 12th in runs because your entire original argument was that TEAMS THAT CAN'T SCORE RUNS CAN'T BE A THREAT. I literally just quoted your post saying that. You mentioned nothing about road OPS or park factors. Your statement was blunt. RUNS.

It isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp.

And you are wrong in saying that they are a top 10 offensive team in baseball. They were tied for 11th in OPS+ at 99. League average was 97 in what was a down year for offense. OPS+ takes park factor into account. So yeah, not a top 10 offense.

What other stats do you want to randomly pick out to suggest they were a top 10 offense in baseball?

Edited by tdawg87

No see, my argument was that they were 12th in runs because your entire argument was that TEAMS THAT CAN'T SCORE RUNS CAN'T BE A THREAT. I literally just quoted your post saying that. You mentioned nothing about road OPS or park factors. Your statement was blunt. RUNS.

It isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp.

And you are wrong in saying that they are a top 10 offensive team in baseball. They were tied for 11th in OPS+ at 99. League average was 97. OPS+ takes park factor into account. So yeah, not a top 10 offense.

What other stats do you want to randomly pick out to suggest they were a top 10 offense in baseball?

Sorry I didnt think anybody was stupid enough to pull out the runs scored stat and use it as their whole argument.

Food for thought: 2015 Steamer projections for wRC+ from Fangraphs

Lawrie: 115

Donaldson: 126

A little optimistic for Lawrie IMO, but all things considered the drop off in offensive production might not be all that big. Considering everything they got back in the deal beyond Lawrie this would seem a small price to pay.

I think that ops is very optimistic for lawrie.

I also think Donaldson's projection is very pessimistic. He's joining a good lineup in a hitters paradise

I think that ops is very optimistic for lawrie.

I also think Donaldson's projection is very pessimistic. He's joining a good lineup in a hitters paradise

Yeah, that lineup looks like a murderers' row. Joey Bats, Encarnacion, Donaldson, Melky (if they re-sign him). Nuts.

Again, you keep bringing up they were 12th in the majors.  Just because they were 12th doesnt mean they werent a top 10 team offensively.  You are cherry picking one statistic.  They play in a pitchers park, did you factor that into your argument?  

The Royals werent a bad offensive team either.  Which I showed you in the statistics I gave you.  

I find it funny you are going by runs scored over the whole season to make your argument for you.  You havent been watching baseball very long.  

Hate to cut your laughter short but... the Giants had a collective OPS+ of 99.  The Royals had a team OPS+ of 91, dead last in the AL.   Maybe I haven't been watching baseball very long but being dead last in a park adjusted setting screams bad offensive team.  The Giants weren't overly impressive on the mound either -- their ERA+ was 100.    KC's ERA+ was 114.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm still mystified by the trade, unless the prospects coming to the A'ths prove to be rock solid.

Lawrie has exceeded 107 games played ONCE in the past 3 years.   He's not exactly Cal Ripkin Jr. 

He also has usually been in the low .700s in OPS, while playing half of the time in a hitting haven.

Now he goes to a pitching themed park, and also has crappy plate discipline (1 BB per every 14 at bats) which makes the A'ths acquiring him a total mystery.

There's an article in yahoo sports baseball section that the push behind the trade was a verbal altercation that Billy and Josh had in the middle of the season. Josh was tired after playing several days in a row so he asked Melvin if could have a day or two to have a rest. Melvin initially accepted but Beane got angry when he didn't see Josh's name in the line-up and told him if he needed a rest he should go on the DL. It escalated from there with Josh apparently dirisively calling Beane "Billy Boy". Who knows if thus is actually true...but if it did happen, my opinion of Josh actually moved the needle for once.

Edited by mulwin444