• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Cuban Pitcher Yoan Lopez

JAHV76

If his repertoire matches what they describe and that he can even pump it up to 100 at age 21, yeah, I'd say the Angels are interested (though this article says nothing of the sort).

I know this, part of Servais' plain for rebuilding the minor leagues is to make the Angels one of the marquee international presences in baseball.  It's how he did it in Texas.  New facilities in the Dominican Republic, more big money signings, bring in scouts they can be trusted and have a reputation out there, etc. 

This kid could match exactly what the Angels are striving for.  Cuba's become a gold mine of talent and the Angels need capitalize.  Same goes with the Asian market.  I know Dipoto likes to go see the Asian pitchers himself given his familiarity with scouting out there from his days with the Rockies. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

If we can get one or both of these top Cuban prospects, we need to do it. I know about the penalties, but, our farm is truly in need of some top tied D talent and we need to start building for a future team around Trout. If we are going to be a perennially contending team, that means that we will always be drafting near the bottom of the pack and will have one of th lowest spending amounts. With such restrictions, it makes far more sense to binge every few years and get some waves of talent to rise up to the parent club so that we can may tain our winning ways. For the cost of one Hamilton, we could have one Baldoquin, one Moncada, and, one Lopez, with money to spare. It's a better risk, and depending how these deals are structured, they might not have the same impact on the luxury tax that signing of Hamilton will have.

Count me in for signing these two guys (Moncada and Lopez).

The international signing rules are severely flawed. One international signing and you are done for three years.

Every international player should be part of a draft with slot money and a pool. But they could do it so a team could use their slot to select any player taken ahead of them and they join the bidding. You have the chance to join the bidding until the team that originally chose him picks again. The winning bidder gives the team that selected the player originally a pick from the round they selected the player from in the following draft

Ex, let's say the rangers took Tomas with the first pick. Then 9 other teams used their first round pick to bid on him as well. Let's say Boston is one of those teams and sign him. The rangers get Boston's first rounder and slot money the next year or boston loses it's first rounder the next year and the rangers get a supplemental. If you don't win the player otherwise, you lose the pick.

Doc, that's something that'll likely happen after 2017 when we have a new CBA.  But yeah, until then the Angels need to do what Dave said, go all out on these premier talents right now while they can.  It doesn't count against the luxury tax. 

I don't see it happening with Cuban players until the US ends its stupid policy of not having anything to do with Cuba.

The international signing rules are severely flawed. One international signing and you are done for three years.

Every international player should be part of a draft with slot money and a pool. But they could do it so a team could use their slot to select any player taken ahead of them and they join the bidding. You have the chance to join the bidding until the team that originally chose him picks again. The winning bidder gives the team that selected the player originally a pick from the round they selected the player from in the following draft

Ex, let's say the rangers took Tomas with the first pick. Then 9 other teams used their first round pick to bid on him as well. Let's say Boston is one of those teams and sign him. The rangers get Boston's first rounder and slot money the next year or boston loses it's first rounder the next year and the rangers get a supplemental. If you don't win the player otherwise, you lose the pick.

That is sort of how the first FA took place after 1976, without the penalty suggested. Multiple team drafted players, and then all negotiated with that player. The Halos signed Baylor, Rudi, and Grich, but had also drafted Reggie Jackson who of course signed with the Evil Empire.

And yes, there was a limit on how many teams drafted each FA, of which I don't recall that number.

One of my LB buds has for years advocated some sort of International draft.

Edited by Angel Oracle