• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sean Rodriguez DFA'd

Second Base

Does every baseball player named Rodriguez get called by a nickname ending in "-Rod" ?   The name is only three syllables.  Not nearly as painful to say as Saltalamacchia.

In Salty's case, I sometimes use an even longer version of his name: Saltalamacchiato. The wife (Red Sox fan) and I used to joke about it when he was with the Sox.

Beckham for $5 million or Rodriquez as a non-roster guy?

Hmm.

can we non-tender Beckham at this point ?  I don't think I'd play the arbitration game with him unless we want to pay him $5 or $6 million to be a platoon / bench depth depth guy for 2015.

but then -- hard to say this -- but $5 million for an MLB vet bench depth guy who can step in and start when needed, well $5 million for that is chicken feed for MLB these days.

Beckham for $5 million or Rodriquez as a non-roster guy?

Hmm.

can we non-tender Beckham at this point ?  I don't think I'd play the arbitration game with him unless we want to pay him $5 or $6 million to be a platoon / bench depth depth guy for 2015.

but then -- hard to say this -- but $5 million for an MLB vet bench depth guy who can step in and start when needed, well $5 million for that is chicken feed for MLB these days.

I believe Beckham can be non-tendered. But I wouldn't do it, as Rodriguez wouldn't be much of an improvement (if at all).

If it's a wash then we should do it. We would be saving money by letting Beckham go and signing Rodriguez.

Ehh...six one way, half dozen the other.

Difference in projected salary would be about $3M, career OPS+ 86 (Rodriguez) vs 84 (Beckham). I guess if the $3 million can be parlayed into something useful, sure.

If not then stick with Beckham, who did prove useful down the stretch for us.

Ehh...six one way, half dozen the other.

Difference in projected salary would be about $3M, career OPS+ 86 (Rodriguez) vs 84 (Beckham). I guess if the $3 million can be parlayed into something useful, sure.

If not then stick with Beckham, who did prove useful down the stretch for us.

I don't understand what you are arguing. Rodriguez is marginally better than Beckham, can seemingly play better defense (at more positions) and will be 3 million cheaper. So if he's 3 million cheaper, that leaves the Angels with about 12 million to work with in salary. Trade Howie, and they now have 21.5 million to work with. James Shields? Or keep Howie and use the 12 million to sign someone like Liriano.

It's a win/win situation.

Would have been nice but no big deal. I don't like Beckham and he's too expensive for what he provides. They need someone who can really field well and play multiple positions. I thought Aybar and Kendrick were a bit overused last year(both up over 155 games played). Would be nice to be able to give them a day off every once in a while to keep them fresh for the playoffs. Hopefully we can get an actual good utility player this year, not someone as terrible as John Macdonald was last year. He had no value and needs to retire

Edited by Butcher'd