• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Google Fiber gigabit service in Austin priced at $70 per month, basic Internet service free

gotbeer

I wish they offered a middle tear level. The throttling is what effects me the most. 

Don't get me wrong, the gigabit $70 plan will be totally worth it. 

Especially as data becomes bigger and bigger. 

Streaming a 1080p 3D movie from Netflix at the moment eats around 4 to 5 GB per hour, a total that could jump to closer to 20 to 30 GB per hour with 4K video. Similarly, Sony is cooking up a 4K video download service that could involve downloads as high as 100 GB per title.

Edited by Poozy

How does this appeal to someone paying $35 a month that has no hiccups or issues with service?

because maybe you'll realize that you can be getting and doing so much more.

Innovations that don't exist now because of the current limitations.

Like I said, data is only going to continue to get larger and more intensive.

Edited by Poozy

because maybe you'll realize that you can be getting and doing so much more.

Innovations that don't exist now because of the current limitations.

Like I said, data is only going to continue to get larger and more intensive.

How will I realize or care to do more if all I care to do is surf the web, play video games, and stream a movie every now and then?

Sounds cool but I'm with Brandon.  I browse the web, check sports scores, post on message boards and occasionally use netflix ($7.99 version, no interest in 3D movies) with no issues for less than half of what Google is going to charge.  I'm guessing I'm not their target demographic though which is tech geeks with a wired house, families with multiple people streaming and using devices, hardcore gamers or the type of person who has to have the newest everything whether it's an iphone or the fastest internet. 

Sounds cool but I'm with Brandon.  I browse the web, check sports scores, post on message boards and occasionally use netflix ($7.99 version, no interest in 3D movies) with no issues for less than half of what Google is going to charge.  I'm guessing I'm not their target demographic though which is tech geeks with a wired house, families with multiple people streaming and using devices, hardcore gamers or the type of person who has to have the newest everything whether it's an iphone or the fastest internet. 

For those that are saying that they use very little.  How much do you think you use?  Because free at 5 mb might be all you need.

I would love it if fiber came to town. Right now my only options are ATT and TWC. The Google free service is equivalent to what I am currently paying for. I won't be holding holding my breath while I wait for Google fiber.

For those that are saying that they use very little. How much do you think you use? Because free at 5 mb might be all you need.

It's like Cat wrote the same post as me. I'd have to look, but anticipate being a heavy user. My phone is always on wifi and computer screen is almost always up or open for work....and I have a bad habit of always surfing the web while at home watching tv.

So I bet I go over 5mb, but have 0 issues or hiccups for half the price. I'm sure at some point current stuff will be obsolete and fiber will be the norm, but I don't get "can't wait!!" type posts unless someone is in a terrible provider area and stuck with shitty service.

Paying about double for marginally better speeds/service doesn't equate to me.

It's like Cat wrote the same post as me. I'd have to look, but anticipate being a heavy user. My phone is always on wifi and computer screen is almost always up or open for work....and I have a bad habit of always surfing the web while at home watching tv.

So I bet I go over 5mb, but have 0 issues or hiccups for half the price. I'm sure at some point current stuff will be obsolete and fiber will be the norm, but I don't get "can't wait!!" type posts unless someone is in a terrible provider area and stuck with shitty service.

Paying about double for marginally better speeds/service doesn't equate to me.

Disagree with the notion of it only being marginally better.

But yea google fiber is still a long ways away from being available nationwide. I'm sure pricing options and speeds will change a lot.

The other big companies know they have a lot of time to screw over the customers. They will adjust once google enters enough markets. That's what competition does.

4k resolution is most likely going to be the next big step from 1080p, but the only way it can work is if people have much better connections with no restrictions.

downloading a 4k movie would be over 100gb. Can't even imagine how large a full game would be. Streaming live tv is also coming.

So I agree that most people don't really have a need for google fiber right now, but I think that will change in 2-4 years.

Edited by Poozy

Sounds cool but I'm with Brandon. I browse the web, check sports scores, post on message boards and occasionally use netflix ($7.99 version, no interest in 3D movies) with no issues for less than half of what Google is going to charge. I'm guessing I'm not their target demographic though which is tech geeks with a wired house, families with multiple people streaming and using devices, hardcore gamers or the type of person who has to have the newest everything whether it's an iphone or the fastest internet.

Who watches 3D movies on TV? That technology was a total bust.

My wife and I have been binging Game of Thrones and other series on HBO OD. Our shitty 5 Mbps internet connection works fine for this purpose.

Edited by Jay