• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout has already started training...

T.G.

I would prefer he repeat his rookie season, the Angels offensive would benefit more from that than another 185 strikeouts trying to hit home runs.

The reason we haven't seen a repeat of Trout's 2012 style stats is because Scioscia, probably at the explicit insistence of Arte Moreno, has permanently assigned Albert Pujols to bat behind Trout. It's not a coincidence that most of Trouts steals in 2013 happened after Pujols went on the DL. Alberta approach results on lots of foul balls, not a lot of takes or sniffs.

Angels offense would be greatly improved by somehow attaining a Figgins-quality prototypical leadoff hitter, followed by moving Calhoun to batting third then Pujols at cleanup

The reason we haven't seen a repeat of Trout's 2012 style stats is because Scioscia, probably at the explicit insistence of Arte Moreno, has permanently assigned Albert Pujols to bat behind Trout. It's not a coincidence that most of Trouts steals in 2013 happened after Pujols went on the DL. Alberta approach results on lots of foul balls, not a lot of takes or sniffs.

Angels offense would be greatly improved by somehow attaining a Figgins-quality prototypical leadoff hitter, followed by moving Calhoun to batting third then Pujols at cleanup

This is not a good post, basically because it's in accurate. Scioscia has always been an aggressive manager, so I doubt he was the reason Trout stop stealing bases. Trout stopped stealing bases because he stopped walking a ton or hitting singles. He also didn't attempt nearly as many.

This is not a good post, basically because it's in accurate. Scioscia has always been an aggressive manager, so I doubt he was the reason Trout stop stealing bases. Trout stopped stealing bases because he stopped walking a ton or hitting singles. He also didn't attempt nearly as many.

This

Still though, his on base % for 2014 (.377) did not take a big dip from 2012 (.399).

There were still plenty of walks and singles to work with.

In fact, he had 184 combined singles/walks in 2012, and that only dropped to 172 in 2014.

Yet, he tried 36 less steals in 2014 (16 for 18) vs 2012 (49 for 54).

Edited by Angel Oracle

AO he looks to be MUCH bigger in 2014, and he has dealt with hamstring tightness a bit in the last couple seasons. If him running less or only running in key situations keeps him on the field then I am perfectly fine with him stealing less. It's not like he went first to third less or second to home less.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, the only things I see in "accurate" are cur, rat, rate, at and ate.

I didn't claim Scoscia was giving Trout red lights or  directly preventing him from stealing. Just that having Trout and Pujols back to back indirectly results in fewer stolen bases for Trout because of Pujols' hitting approach (lots of foul balls/high contact rate). Trout was stealing at a greater rate during the 2013 season with Hamilton behind him than he was with Pujols behind him even though his weight didn't significantly change mid-season.

I didn't claim Scoscia was giving Trout red lights or  directly preventing him from stealing. Just that having Trout and Pujols back to back indirectly results in fewer stolen bases for Trout because of Pujols' hitting approach (lots of foul balls/high contact rate). Trout was stealing at a greater rate during the 2013 season with Hamilton behind him than he was with Pujols behind him even though his weight didn't significantly change mid-season.

didn't Trout move to the 2nd spot in the middle of 2013 season?

didn't Trout move to the 2nd spot in the middle of 2013 season?

He started the season at the 2nd spot in the lineup (with Pujols 3rd). After Pujols was shut down for the year with Plantar Fasciitis Trout moved to batting third.