• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Giants 3B / Dodgers MINF

Hubs

So with the Red Sox throwing money at two top free agent targets, their former teams now have holes in their lineups.

Giants need a 3B who isn't Marco Scutaro, and also isn't expensive. They just won the World Series, but as the Wild Card. To get back to the top of the division, they need offense to do so. The Panda wasn't as dominant an offensive piece in the regular season as he was in the post season. As there really aren't any top 3B available in Free Agency to replace him, they might look to add a bat via trade. They also could add a guy like Yasmani Tomas, Nelson Cruz, or Colby Rasmus in the OF and then trade for a 3B. 

If The Angels could swing a deal with the Giants to give them Beckham or Freese (Freese fits better), then they maybe could get back the trade package they used to get him or equivalent? He had a down first two months here in Anaheim, but Freese did rebound nicely in the later months of the season. What could they expect back? SS Matt Duffy, their 17th rated prospect certainly had good numbers in AA Eastern League, and is probably very close to contributing in the majors. He's a former CSLB SS. Add him to any of their AA Pitching prospects Mejia, Blach, Blackburn, Stratton or Okert, and I think they could make a deal. In the majors, I don't know if they'd be willing to part with anything that fits the Angels needs.

The Angels could also turn to the crosstown Dodgers and offer them Middle Infield help in the form of Howie Kendrick, Beckham, or Grant Green help to replace Hanley. Also in need of offense, the Dodgers need to ship out an OF, but the Angels OF is quite full as well. So maybe prospects from their vaunted group would help work out a deal. The Angels I'm sure would take one of their OF if the Dodgers paid a good portion of their salary, but as a DH, their value drops. If the Angels traded them a 2B, then they could shift Gordon back to SS, where he would likely be an improvement over Ramirez defensively.

Kendrick could command a package of Zach Lee or Chris Reed, two of their minor league starters as well as a guy like Scott Schleber an OF in AA. The Angels would likely have to include an Arm, say like Reliever Kevin Jepsen.

The Dodgers do have unproved Alexander Guerrero, signed last season, but they have their doubts about him I'm sure. Their top prospect isn't ready at SS yet, but may be ready in 2016 to play SS or 3B, meaning that whomever they sign now either blocks him or has to be on a short term deal. Kendrick fits this, but there are some free agents who do as well, like Asdrubal Cabrera or Jed Lowrie. 

Today's Signings by the Red Sox offer two unique trading opportunities to help the Angels farm system immensely. I'd rather trade Freese than Kendrick, but it depends on the return. 

Why does everyone want to trade Freese? Who else is going to play 3rd? I certainly dont want beckham there every game

Beckham would actually be a pretty significant upgrade defensively. The offense would take a hit but I don't think it would be that significant.

Not saying the Angels should trade Freese, but Beckham would be a decent replacement.

I'm hoping the Angels actually stick it out one more year with Freese.  I want to see what he can do across an entire year having adjusted and being healthy.  More than anything, Freese gives the angels as an organization another  year to figure out what direction they're going for 3B.  They can either sign him to an extension, or somehow Beckham relearns how to hit, or Green develops far enough to be an option or Roberto Baldoquin is the answer, or perhaps one of their prospects like Cowart, Cal Towey, Sherman Johnson or Zach Houchins takes a huge step forward developmentally and becomes that guy. 

Dodgers don't need MINF imo. Uribe will hold down 3B next year and Corey Seager will most likely be ready by 2016. They have the two Cuban INFs that can play SS. Gordon can go back there and move Turner full time to 2B. 

Freese to the Giants makes much more sense. Would be interesting if we can work a deal with them for an arm.

Dodgers won't trade Lee for Howie. They already nixed that one. Howie won't help fill their SS/3B void.

Lee sucked last year. 

As far as what the Dodgers/Giants do, I'm guessing one of those teams signs Chase Headley to a 3/40 type of deal. Headley isn't all that much worse than Sandoval and he'll come at a way cheaper price. 

I just daydream of the day the Halos actually have a true 3B who can field well and hit decently to solidly.

TEN years now since Glaus left!

I think Freese has a shot at fitting your description this next year. He showed what he can do in the second half. He'll be fully adjusted, fully healthy and in a contract year. I think there's a reasonable chance Freese duplicates his 2012 numbers and has a career year for the Angels next season.

As for his defense, he was better than advertised last year. Reports indicated he was passable at best at the hot corner. Last year, he wasn't just passable but even average or slightly above. It's what happens when your back heals I guess.

I just daydream of the day the Halos actually have a true 3B who can field well and hit decently to solidly.

TEN years now since Glaus left!

I mentioned this in the Primer too. I'd love it if the Angels managed to trade for Jake Lamb of the Diamondbacks. Arizona has Brandon Drury a year behind Lamb so he might be available, although the price may be out of reach for us. Other alternatives might be Cecchini (who is almost definitely available now that the Red Sox have Sandoval) or Kubitza (Braves).

Would love to see a young, controllable 3B who can play average or better defense and can hit. Hard in this market though.