• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The All 'What Could Have Been' Team.

Docwaukee

I have a cousin who broke several of Frank Thomas' single season school offensive records while an All American first baseman at Auburn. He was selected in the sixth round by the Mets after his junior year, but he decided to return to Auburn to try to improve his draft stock. He broke his wrist during his senior year, didn't approach his numbers from the year before, and fell to the 12th round where he was drafted by the Yankees. Part of one season at Staten Island and he was out of the game. He never found his stroke again.

I sometimes wonder what this current Angels team would look like if just a few different moves had been made the last few years. Namely, if we had signed Beltre and kept Napoli, signed Greinke instead of Hamilton. 20/20, of course.

Keeping Napoli beyond his FA years wouldn't have been that wise. It's a lot of money to be paying a mid to upper level 1B (of course, still better than the Pujols contract). But yeah, had we signed Beltre instead of trading for Wells and spent the Hamilton money on just about anything else this team would be infinitely better. Still, every team can say that about their own mistakes.

There's so much this team could've done different. Hindsight is always 20/20, but there are certain deals where the fan base knows right away what a colossal mistake it was.

Off the top of my head, the Wells trade, the Blanton signing and both the Pujols and Hamilton signings. Then again, there are some that take people by surprise.

I thought the Walden-Hanson trade was smart at the time. While I never liked the GMJ signing, I thought he wasn't as bad as most fans thought. I hated the Greinke trade, but realize upside doesn't always translate (Hellweg, Pena). I loved the Callaspo trade, but he never hit like I thought he would and Will Smith ended up being the RP this team needed.

The Pujols signing was for too much, but at least he has put up an +.800 OPS here.

The Nibs signing was meh, and only has two years to go. At least he was good in 2013 and for half of 2012 and two months in 2014.

Hackilton has only been good for 1.5 months in 2013 and 1.5 weeks in 2014. That is the signing that ultimately affected the franchise the most, especially the rotten middle two months and closing week in 2012. Why do the signing with that known?

Hackilton, Wells (up and way down road numbers, hitting happy Rogers Centre), and GMJHGH (ONE productive season before signing) were the true head scratchers.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I sometimes wonder what this current Angels team would look like if just a few different moves had been made the last few years. Namely, if we had signed Beltre and kept Napoli, signed Greinke instead of Hamilton. 20/20, of course.

Would the Angels have won the 2004 WS if Garret Anderson doesn't get arthritis?  Or even the 2006 WS.

Let's add DMAC in that equation as well.

I'm with Wopphil on Beltre. Man, seemed to me then and seems to me now that if you're ever going to overpay, that was the time. The black hole that existed at 3B from Glaus on just made that move imperative. And with Beltre living in Beverly Hills and open to the idea, the Angels needed to step up. Plus, the unwise decisions of the domino effect of that swing and miss could be taught as a college course.