• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire OF Dan Robertson

nando714

Doesn't seem like a big deal but it actually is. Great discipline, good speed, gap power, plus athleticism and plays all three OF spots. Cowgill better watch his back.

I agree it's just supporting Dipoto's plan of depth, depth, depth, depth, with a little more depth sprinkled in. This guy isn't exactly a push over (I've had the chance to see him, I live about 20 minutes away from the Ballpark in Arling- err...Globe Life Park). I think he's great as a 5th outfielder. Think about it this way too, he has options and he's replacing Alfredo Marte. There isn't a ton of outfield depth on the team, this reeeeeally helps. It wouldn't surprise me to see him crack the roster. It's just a matter of singling out the weaklings and improving by replacement. Right now, I think guys that are on the bubble include Beckham, LeBlanc (although I think he'll stick around), Herrera, Jepsen or Salas could get traded, and O'Malley (again, I think he's safe). This is starting to become a very solid 40-man roster. Now add a young start you can stash in AAA, a lefty relief prospect, and a utility infielder. The team just got better in a very subtle way tonight. Cheers, Jerry. 

Posted a 132 wRC+ against lefties in 2014 and can play decent defense at all 3 OF positions. 

Not a bad depth move at all. In fact, you could see him battle it out with Cowgill for the 4th OF spot. Cowgill and Robertson share a pretty similar skill set. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

That would be absolutely idiotic.

Why?  Just a year ago he was pitching in Indy Ball, and while his numbers in AA are good, they're partially a product of pitching in an extreme pitching friendly environment, as evidenced by his road ERA.  He ran out of gas toward the end of the year and in terms of "stuff" he really doesn't grade out as more than a swing-man or 5th starter.  I do like that he's a competitor and is a smart pitcher though, that has to lead to at least some marginal success.  Of course there's always a chance he turns in a year like Shoemaker did last year.  But you have to give up quality to get quality. 

He's also sitting probably 9th on the depth chart for the Angels.  That number doesn't figure to improve as guys like Nate Smith, Tyler DeLoach and Sean Newcomb climb the ladder and certainly could take a hit once Skaggs returns from surgery.  And that's assuming the Angels don't sign any pitcher. 

Robertson is a good OF, and will definitely provide a high quality of play from the bench and could open some eyes in extended playing time as he did with the Rangers. 

I think we do disagree on that pitching depth.  I think the Angels have a ton of #4-5 starters, going back 10-deep.  But they only have a few mid-front of the rotation types in Richards, Weav and Shoe.  Rasmus has the stuff but is a long way from joining that group, Santiago does too but lacks the consistency so far.  Newcomb looks like a lock to join that group but he'll likely arrive at the same time as Weaver is leaving.  Sanchez looks good too, but gain, that's still another 3 years off. Skaggs, who knows. 

Why?  Just a year ago he was pitching in Indy Ball, and while his numbers in AA are good, they're partially a product of pitching in an extreme pitching friendly environment, as evidenced by his road ERA.  He ran out of gas toward the end of the year and in terms of "stuff" he really doesn't grade out as more than a swing-man or 5th starter.  I do like that he's a competitor and is a smart pitcher though, that has to lead to at least some marginal success.  Of course there's always a chance he turns in a year like Shoemaker did last year.  But you have to give up quality to get quality. 

He's also sitting probably 9th on the depth chart for the Angels.  That number doesn't figure to improve as guys like Nate Smith, Tyler DeLoach and Sean Newcomb climb the ladder and certainly could take a hit once Skaggs returns from surgery.  And that's assuming the Angels don't sign any pitcher. 

Robertson is a good OF, and will definitely provide a high quality of play from the bench and could open some eyes in extended playing time as he did with the Rangers. 

I'll take a swingman or 5th starter on this team are you kidding?