• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels add two to 40-man roster, but not former No. 1 pick Cowart

AngelsWin.com

Bandy's hard not to like. Great athlete, power, patience, great pitch caller, intelligent, great glove and excellent arm. Oh and a great name. Just about the only thing to not like about him is the fact that he'll probably hit .220 in the majors.

But as a backup catcher, he should prove more useful than Hank was.

Bandy could be one of those pleasant surprises for the org.  The defense is clearly there.  Throwing out 40% of base stealers at AA is legit.  

Also, his platoon splits were pretty severe until 2014 where they were about even.  Considering the park he played in, he had a very solid offensive season.  

Dude is also a beast.  6'4" 235lb.  

With Jackson Williams out you're looking at a two man race between Bandy and the kid they got from TB. I think Bandy has the inside track because Scioscia's very particular of his catchers and this kid has been brought up in the system, knows the pitchers, knows the philosophies, knows the coaches and is everything Scioscia looks for in a catcher. That being smart, communicative and athletic.

And in terms of Cowart being a pitcher, a big part if that transition rests in his willingness to switch positions. From whom I've spoken with, Cowart has never been on board with pitching and still isn't, he wants to play 3B. That's the whole reason he signed with the Angels in the first place because they promised him he was here only to play 3B and not pitch.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

With Jackson Williams out you're looking at a two man race between Bandy and the kid they got from TB. I think Bandy has the inside track because Scioscia's very particular of his catchers and this kid has been brought up in the system, knows the pitchers, knows the philosophies, knows the coaches and is everything Scioscia looks for in a catcher. That being smart, communicative and athletic.

And in terms of Cowart being a pitcher, a big part if that transition rests in his willingness to switch positions. From whom I've spoken with, Cowart has never been on board with pitching and still isn't, he wants to play 3B. That's the whole reason he signed with the Angels in the first place because they promised him he was here only to play 3B and not pitch.

The team could come back to Cowart and tell him that they've tried it his way and it hasn't worked out. They could ask him if he'd rather play third base or make the Show.

Don't think much of Carlos Perez?

Does Bandy at least have .300 OBP/.700 OPS potential at the MLB.

With the defense he seems to supply, that would be plenty.

Could we see Bandy and Perez take over all the catching duties by 2017?

That would necessitate offering arb to Iannetta to stay an extra season in 2016.

Edited by Angel Oracle

http://minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=542908&type=batter&split=2014

something may have clicked for him at the plate last year.  In particular toward the second half.  He's was 13th in the texas league in wOBA so I am not sure his bat is going to be as much of a liability as people think.  It appears to have some potential to develop considering his power and patience.  

I see him being a slightly lesser version of Ianetta at the plate. Chris isn't expected to hit over .250, but will have a solid OBP and 10-15 HR. Iannetta also good with a staff and is good at blocking pitches in the dirt, just not much of an arm is all.

Bandy, I think will probably hit .220 with a respectable OBP and the same power Iannetta has. Defensively, he's plus in every part of the game. Athletic, very good arm, smart, great with pitchers.

I see him being around the same value as Chris, in that he won't be an all-star but he should be solid as a platoon regular.