• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Halos taking patient approach with prospect Cowart

AngelsWin.com

I trust Servais.  They obviously see something there that would make them hopeful that Cowart could still be productive.  He'll be 24 in AA this year so it's not like he'd be overly old for his level.  Apparently, he's also a very good defender.  He can also take a walk and steal a bag.  

And how much value does he have as a reliever going forward.  Certainly not near the value he'd have as even a mediocre bat at 3b.  

I trust Servais.  They obviously see something there that would make them hopeful that Cowart could still be productive.  He'll be 24 in AA this year so it's not like he'd be overly old for his level.  Apparently, he's also a very good defender.  He can also take a walk and steal a bag.  

And how much value does he have as a reliever going forward.  Certainly not near the value he'd have as even a mediocre bat at 3b.  

But as a mediocre (actually bad) bat at 3B, he has NO value. Even with his D.

So many on here bitched and moaned about Callaspo. I can just see how much bitching and moaning posters about Cowart will be if he ever spends much time in the Show at 3B.

There is zero chance he makes it as a third baseman. Just put him on the mound already and give yourself a year to determine whether he should hold a spot on the 40-man.

part of why so many people were irritated with giving up Rondon

The weird thing is that his numbers are almost the same in both years in AA. He made no improvement whatsoever, nor did he decline.

I hate to say it but Cowart has entered the ranks of busted 1st round position player prospects, along with Chevy Clarke and Ryan Bolden.

What a terrible draft 2010 was. The weird thing is that it came a year after the amazing 2009 draft that saw Grichuk, Trout, Skaggs, Richards, and Corbin drafted with 5 of the first 6 picks.

Start him at AAA. I know the pitching in AAA is more advanced, but the promotion could be good for his confidence. I don't know why he'd just magically start hitting in the PCL even with the extreme hitters parks but stranger things have happened. Not much stranger than if he magically started hitting in the Texas league after 900 at bats.

The weird thing is that his numbers are almost the same in both years in AA. He made no improvement whatsoever, nor did he decline.

I hate to say it but Cowart has entered the ranks of busted 1st round position player prospects, along with Chevy Clarke and Ryan Bolden.

What a terrible draft 2010 was. The weird thing is that it came a year after the amazing 2009 draft that saw Grichuk, Trout, Skaggs, Richards, and Corbin drafted with 5 of the first 6 picks.

The Angels had five first round draft picks in 2010. The best player to come out of those five was Cam Bedrosian.

The Angels had five first round draft picks in 2010. The best player to come out of those five was Cam Bedrosian.

I've never understood why people had a problem with the Bane firing when you look at the 2010 draft. We'd have been more succesful if we'd blindfolded ourselves in front of a list of draft-eligible players, thrown darts and drafted whoever we hit.

Check out how awful the 2010 draft class was: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2010/drafttracker.jsp

The Angels weren't the only team to draft poorly. That whole class was very poor near the top. 

Bryce Harper(1), Manny Machado(3), Matt Harvey(7), Chris Sale(12), Andrelton Simmons(70) are the only guys in the top 100 from that draft to produce higher than 3 WAR in any season in the majors. 

The other notable names are Jameson Tailon, Noah Syndergaard and Nick Castellanos. 2 of them are pitching prospects(You know how hit or miss they can be). Castellanso played everyday for the Tigers and produced -0.5 WAR. 

As much as we like to hate on the 2010 draft for the Angels, it was a pretty awful draft all around. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

I think it's pretty clear what they see.  Excellent build, plus athleticism, potentially plus power with a patient approach at the plate.  Gold glove level defense and young. 

The Angels coaches, to their credit have done everything they can to refine his approach.  He's walking more often, he's striking out a little less and he's worked his butt off.  Added 20+ lbs of muscle last offseason alone and has shown tremendous leg strength.  Heck, he even swiped 26 bags this past season. 

The problem is 3-fold. 

1. Between the ears.  Kaleb's been trying to do everything the coaches have told him but he just doesn't look comfortable at the plate at all. (Brandon Wood)

2. He doesn't have hitting instincts.  Guys like Mike Trout go up to the plate with an idea of how the pitcher is going to attack them, so they key on one pitch often and pick that pitch to drive.  Kaleb just doesn't have that.  His reactions are plenty quick but he just isn't squaring up pitches. 

3. The fact is, he was over-hyped.  The Angels bought into everything their Georgia scout from the 2010 draft was selling them (Cowart, Chevy Clarke, Ryan Bolden, Cam Bedrosian).  Cowart crushed inferior pitching and was the Gatorade Player of the Year.  Once he actually started facing kids from of West or the Latin American pitchers, he was in over his head. 

I don't know what the answer is, and nether does anyone else really.  A move back to the mound has been discussed but as I understand, Cowart views that as an absolute last resort.  He signed with the Angels because they told him he can play 3B.  If they wanted him to pitch he would've gone to Florida State. 

Check out how awful the 2010 draft class was: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2010/drafttracker.jsp

The Angels weren't the only team to draft poorly. That whole class was very poor near the top. 

Bryce Harper(1), Manny Machado(3), Matt Harvey(7), Chris Sale(12), Andrelton Simmons(70) are the only guys in the top 100 from that draft to produce higher than 3 WAR in any season in the majors. 

The other notable names are Jameson Tailon, Noah Syndergaard and Nick Castellanos. 2 of them are pitching prospects(You know how hit or miss they can be). Castellanso played everyday for the Tigers and produced -0.5 WAR. 

As much as we like to hate on the 2010 draft for the Angels, it was a pretty awful draft all around. 

There's plenty of people on that list who still have the potential to become solid to good (and even a few very good) baseball players. Yeah, it wasn't a great draft class but it's also not like it's one long list of Chevy Clarkes.

I wonder what would happen if Cowart went up to AAA...

Look at what Mike Schmidt did after hitting .211 in AA and then moving up to AAA

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=schmid002mic

Not that this is an indicator of what Cowart would do.... but it's interesting.

Edited by True Grich