• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in James Shields

KevinJ14

The last thing we need is another overpaid, well past his prime DH like Ibanez, Matsui, etc.....we need starting pitching depth much more....

We dont need another CJ Wilson either.  And who said anything about an overpaid past his prime DH?  If were going to make a smart signing id rather it be a bat.  We have enough guys that put up awful at bats in the playoffs or against good pitching.  Watching Cron in that spot for a full season is unbearable. 

Lester and Scherzer are looking at the 6+ year, 140+ mil range...Shields is clearly the tier under that, most likely 4-5 year deal, 60+ mil.  It's funny to think that if Shields pitched 3 or 4 games better at the end of the year, he may be looking in that upper tier threshold.  A team (ahem, D'Backs) may get desperate and offer him #1/2 money (5, 100), but he's probably looking at 4/60-5/80 or something around there b/c of age and playoff performance.  If it's true that he may want to play in So Cal, perhaps a 4/60 would entice him and maybe the Angels play there.  But if he's getting closer or over 100 mil, I doubt the Angels do that, and at that point if they are interested, they are probably looking at Lester or Scherzer too then.

Most likely none of them. 

Edited by KevinStockerIsGod

Some of you folks are seriously underrating Shields. He's pretty much the definition of a #2, and a #2 on a good pitching staff. I'm not a huge fan of WAR for pitchers, but over the last four years he's 10th in the majors with 16.5. With the more traditional RA9-WAR, which is based upon runs allowed and closer to ERA, he's even better - 20.2, 6th in the majors. He's also started more games and pitched more innings than anyone else during that span, so he's quite consistent and durable.

The big concern is his age. He'll be 33 next year, so a 4-year contract would be 33-36, 5-year 33-37. My guess is that he wants and gets five years.

But to call him a #3 is under-valuing him. He's a #2, and a good #2.

So you'd be paying someone in 2018 and 2019 for work he did in 2011.

How many times are the Angels going to make the same mistake?

Honestly, signing Shields for same money as Wilson, then trading Wilson for prospects sounds like a good deal to me.

who's going to give you prospects for CJ Wilson at this point? You'd have to eat all or most of his salary in any trade, so they'd still be adding a ton of payroll.

I'm not so sure Stradling. Philly needs to be competitive in order to appease their fickle fans. If they were in firesale mode I would agree.

As for Boston, they need pitching badly and when they come up empty on Scherzer and Lester, 2 years of CJ could be just what they need. It's not like a team is taking on 5 more years of contract. Yes the number is big the next 2 seasons. But it's only 2 seasons.

Wilson is the perfect "change of scenery/new pitching coach" example this offseason.

Edited by xboom28x

I'm not so sure Stradling. Philly needs to be competitive in order to appease their fickle fans. If they were in firesale mode I would agree.

As for Boston, they need pitching badly and when they come up empty on Scherzer and Lester, 2 years of CJ could be just what they need. It's not like a team is taking on 5 more years of contract. Yes the number is big the next 2 seasons. But it's only 2 seasons.

Wilson is the perfect "change of scenery/new pitching coach" example this offseason.

I agree that it's not a huge risk to take on CJ at this point since it is only two years. However, the argument is that they would give up prospects to do it. That's harder to swallow.

xboom, I think you need to look at CJ's numbers from last year again. He was Blanton-esque. No team is going to be willing to take on a significant portion of his salary on the faith that all he needs is a change of scenery. He basically has no value at this point as a trade piece.

So you'd be paying someone in 2018 and 2019 for work he did in 2011.

How many times are the Angels going to make the same mistake?

This was the exact point I was making earlier in the thread. I realize that Shields is a good 2/3 guy right now and could be that in 2015. The issue is he'll be 33 and has a ton of mileage on his arm. Signing him for 4/75 or 5/90 is not a wise investment for a team with the Pujols and Hamilton contracts.