• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves send Heyward to Cardinals for Miller

HaloCory22

Braves must really believe in Miller's ERA. His 4.54 FIP in 2014 says he isn't going to be anything more than a #4/5 guy going forward. Jenkins is an interesting piece. Heyward was their best position player last season. They might as well trade Upton and Gattis now and receive some future bats in return since they're moving towards a retool/rebuild. Getting some club controlled starters back is nice but I don't think those guys are more than 4/5 guys. 

This makes sense from the Cards side. Neshek is gone so you plug Walden in for him. Heyward immediately becomes their best OF and they'll get him for just a year. Heyward's offense hasn't developed but he's an otherworldly defender. He's about a 4-5 WAR type of guy. 

It's a really intriguing trade. The Cardinals clearly win in the short term. The Braves should win in the long term but I'm not sure what type of pitcher Miller is going forward. 

I'm also in the camp that thinks the Braves didn't do too badly here. They got back two pitchers with huge upside for a guy they were going to lose in a year. Heyward is very good, but they got a hell of a lot more for Heyward than they would have if they had looked to deal him halfway through next season.

Heyward is the class over/underrated player. Over-rated by sabernerds who overvalue defensive metrics, underrated by saberhaters and traditionalists who only see Triple Crown numbers. Heyward is a very good player, even an excellent one, but he's more of a borderline star in my view than a bonafide star. If he gets his HR back up to 20+, then he'll be a true star - .270ish/.360ish/.450ish with Gold Glove defense is a great player. But his offense has been disappointing.

I like this trade for the Cardinals, but it isn't quite highway robbery some are claiming. Jenkins is is unproven but intriguing, but I don't have a good feeling about Miller going forward. Seems like higher risk, higher potential reward for the Braves.

I think miller is damaged goods, and apparently so do the cards if they're willing to give up so much club control for a player that's soon to hit FA.

heyward is a very solid player that has suffered from "kendrickitis", meaning he was very overhyped as a prospect and hasnt quite lived up to what was expected. However, he still is above average with the bat, has good speed, and he's one of the best right fielders in the game.

also because he doesn't have great power or isn't a juggernaut at the plate, the cardinals might be able to sign him to a club friendly-ish deal and make him the cornerstone of their outfield.

Atlanta was in a tough spot with Heyward. He's getting more expensive but his production is not what you expected at this stage. He's moving closer to free agency and would probably get overpaid by someone. 

It isn't like they can go out and get a huge bat to take them to the next level. Probably in rebuild mode. Start with young pitching. 

I was watching MLB Network last night and one of the topics of speculation was whether the Braves are going into full rebuild mode. This deal would seem to indicate that they are.

I was watching MLB Network last night and one of the topics of speculation was whether the Braves are going into full rebuild mode. This deal would seem to indicate that they are.

It makes sense. They were probably 2 bats away from competing offensively. Their rotation included Erv and Harang, both of whom you'd expect to be gone. I imagine they'll make a similar deal for Justin Upton.