• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Apparently, owners never learn, Stanton might get a 300 million dollar deal

beatlesrule

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-giancarlo-stanton-contracts-would-have-gone/

Stanton's contract is heavily backloaded(no surprise). If Stanton absolutely dominates the next 5-6 years, the Marlins aren't competitive and Stanton can still get a big deal elsewhere, I can see Stanton leaving. Realistically, Stanton won't be able to get more than 7 years 218 million dollars(which is what he'll earn the last 7 years of the deal) when he hits age 30 because things tend to not happen in the most opportunistic way.

I would guess that Stanton stays with the Marlins for a majority of the contract.

If Stanton continues to mash the Dodgers or Yankees will offer him far more than 7/$218 at age 30.

the marlins are going to wait in the weeds until some of their arms develop and right before staton's option comes up they are going to go all in.  They might do it sooner if some of their arms develop more quickly.  Plus, yelich and ozuna are really nice players to complement Stanton.  Their infield blows, but they have the scratch and farm to change that at any time if things start to go the right way.  They're a team that could add a guy like Tulo when the time is right and just go for it.  I'm guessing 2017

Sure it's $325 million, but it's still only $25 million a year. The Angels have three of those guys plus two more at $15 million plus. Every team can afford one or two of these guys, this contract won't break an owner.

while i totally agree, one ripple effect is the bump in their payroll...which to this point has been low enough for them to profit pretty massively from revenue sharing. No idea how much this contract affects that, but im sure it would have to a little. And that ownership is pretty greedy...they might cry broke over it after a little time.

Sure it's $325 million, but it's still only $25 million a year. The Angels have three of those guys plus two more at $15 million plus. Every team can afford one or two of these guys, this contract won't break an owner.

while i totally agree, one ripple effect is the bump in their payroll...which to this point has been low enough for them to profit pretty massively from revenue sharing. No idea how much this contract affects that, but im sure it would have to a little. And that ownership is pretty greedy...they might cry broke over it after a little time.