• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Apparently, owners never learn, Stanton might get a 300 million dollar deal

beatlesrule

What blows my mind is that they are giving him $325m *and* an opt out clause. It seems like if you are guaranteeing that kind of money, you shouldn't have to give an opt out (which is never beneficial to a team).

The good news is that if he opts out, they won't pay him $325 million.

Yeah. If he keeps it up he opts out like A-Rod did and gets more money from either the Marlins or another team. If he is still a boss they re-up him, if not they let him walk....although if he slips he likely won't opt out.

I don't normally mind these kind of deals except for the luxury tax or faux salary cap.

Marlins and Stanton have a freed tonterms for a 13yr 325 million contract extension with a no trade clause and an opt out for Stanton.

I'm pretty surprised by this. I assumed the $325M was so high because that was the premium they had to pay to avoid no-trade and opt-out clauses. There's basically no upside to this. Most 8+ year contracts turn into boat anchors before they are over. One possible exception would have been A-Rod's original 10-year deal if not for the opt out clause.

this is a way better deal than the one Cabrera just inked.  

This takes stanton thru his age 37 season.  

And don't be fooled, the marlins have plenty of money.  This is much less of a hit than Arod's deal with texas.  The marlins had 8mil committed for 2016.  That's it.  

If we could lock up Trout for an additional 6yrs/200mil, I would do that in a heartbeat.  

this is obscene -- OK hitters, tee it up -- won't be much to spend on pitching (rotation or pen) down in Miami.......

AAA batting practice time.

Doc posted above they only have 8m committed to 2015 so far, before this deal. Plenty of money to spend and a bunch of good young arms already.

Not sure if you're being serious or making stuff up.

Stanton is one of the few players in baseball worth this type of deal.  The dude is elite.

The Marlins have some solid young talent and will be a competitive soon.  They were a .500 team and were in the run for the Wild Card until Stanton got hurt and that was without their best pitcher all year!

If the Marlins are willing to pay that kind of contract. It makes me wonder just how much money the owners are really making.

Exactly. The owners have tons and tons of money. They make it seem like they are squeezing by, and the fans get mad at the players for moving to teams for more money, but the reality is its the owners who set the market

stanton, upon waking up tomorrow morning: "sweet moses, i'm going to be stuck here for 13 more years. ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!"

Then he'll come to his senses and realize that he's getting $325 million for being stuck there for 13 more years. That should ease the pain. A little.

Doc posted above they only have 8m committed to 2015 so far, before this deal. Plenty of money to spend and a bunch of good young arms already.

Not sure if you're being serious or making stuff up.

It's been mentioned (I've seen it on MLBTR & BP) that the Marlins didn't think they'd be able to extend both Stanton & Fernandez. They had to pick one. They probably made the right choice, but only time will tell.

Get ready for Trout to get 12 years, $400 million when he becomes a FA after 2020. 

I doubt the Cable TV racket will be providing sports team owners anywhere close to present-day revenues for 5+ years from now. MLB salaries will start to drop precipitously by then, I suspect. Unfortuantley when it comes to sports salaries, I don't think theres' any way I put out any future calls on my bold predictions  :( 

Edited by ScottLux

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-giancarlo-stanton-contracts-would-have-gone/

Stanton's contract is heavily backloaded(no surprise). If Stanton absolutely dominates the next 5-6 years, the Marlins aren't competitive and Stanton can still get a big deal elsewhere, I can see Stanton leaving. Realistically, Stanton won't be able to get more than 7 years 218 million dollars(which is what he'll earn the last 7 years of the deal) when he hits age 30 because things tend to not happen in the most opportunistic way. 

I would guess that Stanton stays with the Marlins for a majority of the contract. 

I think the success of the KC Royals and the SF Giants (even the St. Louis Cardinals) illustrate how these mega player deals are NOT the way to go.

Sure the Dodgers bought their way into the playoffs and have the best pitcher in baseball -- but I'd take the approach of those other teams any day.

Sounds if Marlins are already in the position of letting Fernandez go because of lack of payroll flexibility issues........

oh well. at least Stanton will be there for a dozen more years plus -- (expect a DL stint soon -- isn't that usually the next stop for guys with huge contracts?).