• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Apparently, owners never learn, Stanton might get a 300 million dollar deal

beatlesrule

I am so glad that Trout did not get a ridiculous contract like Stanton is about to.  I have no idea why owners are still okay with paying so much to one player. If this was football, I would understand but it's not and guaranteeing a 25 year old 300 million for 12 years or so is behind my comprehension.  I guess Arod, Pujols, Howard, Cabrera, Votto etc aren't enough to prove huge contracts are not a good idea.  Thank goodness Dipoto didn't give Trout this much.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/stanton-marlins-discussing-300mm-contract.html

Edited by beatlesrule

I am so glad that Trout did not get a ridiculous contract like Stanton is about to.  I have no idea why owners are still okay with paying so much to one player. If this was football, I would understand but it's not and guaranteeing a 25 year old 300 million for 12 years or so is behind my comprehension.  I guess Arod, Pujols, Howard, Cabrera, Votto etc aren't enough to prove huge contracts are not a good idea.  Thank goodness Dipoto didn't give Trout this much.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/stanton-marlins-discussing-300mm-contract.html

mike trout would have gotten that if he had the leverage for that kind of deal, but he didn't due to team control for 4 more years at the time. these contracts know no limits.

Players should make as much as someone is willing to pay them. Do you want someone to tell you that you can only earn so much because a rule dictates it?

My point is that these contracts have never worked out.  If something doesn't work out, logic dictates you stop trying out whatever that is.  Again, the NFL has the best contracts in all of sports.

Players should make as much as someone is willing to pay them. Do you want someone to tell you that you can only earn so much because a rule dictates it?

Yeah, reading the headline the first thing that came into my head was, "Damn, how much are these owners really making to drop that coin on one player?"

The reason these players get paid so much is to stop them from flocking to the big glamorous more attractive cities and markets.  Obviously these guys are all high paid millionaires and can live anywhere they want.  And I doubt anyone wants to willingly live in a city like Detroit.  Thats why these ridiculous contracts are constantly handed out.  It happens in the NBA too, where teams overpay to get players.  Why would a player take a little bit more money to go to a crappy city.  It only makes sense for them if the team overpays by a huge amount.  

In this case Miami isnt that bad so I dont get the 300 million dollar deal.  But I highly doubt it reaches that number. 

for $300 mil, you can put up with a lot of things. but if it's me, i want to be in a situation where i can win and have a legit shot at a championship most years. i have a hard time understanding guys who are content with finishing 12 games below .500 every year as long as they get paid. 

$300 million is the cost of ensuring Stanton plays in Miami for 12 years.

For other cities, it would be around $260.

Call the extra $40 million a "Shitty Organization Tax".

No income tax in Florida. 300m is 300m (still have Fed, etc.)

260m for say the Angels is a lot less with the tax rates here.

for $300 mil, you can put up with a lot of things. but if it's me, i want to be in a situation where i can win and have a legit shot at a championship most years. i have a hard time understanding guys who are content with finishing 12 games below .500 every year as long as they get paid. 

It's just a job. Same as any other high level exec. that makes x amount of million per year.

The Marlins will trade him in two years.

"While there will be plenty of cynics that point to the Marlins’ history of fire sales, Miami GM Dan Jennings  indicated earlier this week that the Fish would potentially be open to breaking club policy and including a no-trade clause if it meant locking up the game’s premier power hitter."

$300 million is the cost of ensuring Stanton plays in Miami for 12 years.

For other cities, it would be around $260.

Call the extra $40 million a "Shitty Organization Tax".

Another issue is the Marlins have a strict rule of never offering no-trade policies. They were reported to have offered more moeny for Pujols than the Angels did but Albert went with the Angels because of the no-trade being included.

Miggy' ls last contract worked out really well.

Considering Giancarlo's age a 10/$300 deal that starts after his last arb year is most likely considerably below market value.

He has generational power and talent. If he were a FA he would land far more dough that that.

This is true. Cabrera got ~10/$300 despite being a couple years away from becoming a free agent in his 30s.

No income tax in Florida. 300m is 300m (still have Fed, etc.)

260m for say the Angels is a lot less with the tax rates here.

I wasn't talking about the (lack of) income tax in Florida.

I was talking about how the Marlins have to offer an extra $40 million because...they're the Marlins.

I wasn't talking about the (lack of) income tax in Florida.

I was talking about how the Marlins have to offer an extra $40 million because...they're the Marlins.

Eh, Miami is an awesome place to be. They have good young arms too. It's easy to make bank, live in a great area, and have a good quality of life and put up with a rebuilding effort.