• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout, unanimous MVP.

Kenny

Altuve was the worst defensive 2B in baseball by many metrics. That was the only thing stopping him from a top 5 finish IMO. 

Altuve's DWar was -0.1

Trout's DWar was -0.5

Apparently leading your league in hits (by 25), batting average (.341) and steals (by 17) just isn't worth much anymore.

>using dWAR

>comparing 2nd base to centerfield

Comparing 2nd base to center field is an interesting question as to which player is involved more in the teams run suppression. On the one hand you have Trout with his speed to get to a lot of fly balls but how many times is that speed utilized over simply routine plays? The same with Altuve, are all of his fielding chances simply routine or does he have a fair share of less than impossible plays that he is involved in. Just how many of those plays change the outcome of the game over just a simple out. I'm sure some guy can prowl Fangraphs and come up with the answer but I'm going to simplify.

Trout had 1440 innings and 390 chances for a put out and and converted 383 of them including 4 assists and 3 errors.

Altuve had 1362 innings and 737 chances for a put out and converted 268 but also had 459 assists for a total of 727 and 10 errors.

The time a second baseman has to react to a hit is practically half that of an outfielder simply because of distance to the batter. So while Trout may get good jumps on a ball and uses his speed to run them down, Altuve has to react instantly and his first step must be exactly where the ball is headed, he has no time to reroute or use speed to accommodate an error in his initial move.

He also has to react to a ball in play for a double play whether he is the primary fielder or the relay along with covering for a stolen base, both scenarios affect players reaching scoring position. In short his job responsibilities in terms of how much the game comes to him over that of Trout is considerable, by a factor of 2.

Which position is the most valuable defensively for run suppression? I'm sure there are better arguments but if you are splitting hairs between which player you would get more value out of if only one was above average, I would stick with keeping that player in the infield.

Edited by notti

Comparing 2nd base to center field is an interesting question as to which player is involved more in the teams run suppression. On the one hand you have Trout with his speed to get to a lot of fly balls but how many times is that speed utilized over simply routine plays? The same with Altuve, are all of his fielding chances simply routine or does he have a fair share of less than impossible plays that he is involved in. Just how many of those plays change the outcome of the game over just a simple out. I'm sure some guy can prowl Fangraphs and come up with the answer but I'm going to simplify.

Trout had 1440 innings and 390 chances for a put out and and converted 383 of them including 4 assists and 3 errors.

Altuve had 1362 innings and 737 chances for a put out and converted 268 but also had 459 assists for a total of 727 and 10 errors.

The time a second baseman has to react to a hit is practically half that of an outfielder simply because of distance to the batter. So while Trout may get good jumps on a ball and uses his speed to run them down, Altuve has to react instantly and his first step must be exactly where the ball is headed, he has no time to reroute or use speed to accommodate an error in his initial move.

He also has to react to a ball in play for a double play whether he is the primary fielder or the relay along with covering for a stolen base, both scenarios affect players reaching scoring position. In short his job responsibilities in terms of how much the game comes to him over that of Trout is considerable, by a factor of 2.

Which position is the most valuable defensively for run suppression? I'm sure there are better arguments but if you are splitting hairs between which player you would get more value out of if only one was above average, I would stick with keeping that player in the infield.

You might be interested. Here is the fielding data from Inside Edge (from Fangraphs).

Trout:

Season Team Pos Inn Impossible (0%) Remote (1-10%) Unlikely (10-40%) Even (40-60%) Likely (60-90%) Routine (90-100%)

2014 Angels OF 1314.0 0.0%    (42) 0.0%    (11) 66.7%      (3) 100.0%     (5) 94.1%    (17) 99.2%  (362)

Altuve

Season Team Pos Inn Impossible (0%) Remote (1-10%) Unlikely (10-40%) Even (40-60%) Likely (60-90%) Routine (90-100%)

2014 Astros 2B 1362.1 0.0%    (15) 0.0%    (31) 29.4%    (17) 45.5%    (22) 73.5%    (34) 98.4%  (438)

Hopefully that renders ok when I post it (I'm skeptical)

Essentially 98% of Altuve's chances were routine, 99% for Trout. The infielder has more chances, but in general the value of plays made in the outfield is greater, if only because of the types of hits balls hit to the outfield turn into.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

Altuve's DWar was -0.1

Trout's DWar was -0.5

Apparently leading your league in hits (by 25), batting average (.341) and steals (by 17) just isn't worth much anymore.

I had Altuve as the 9/10 guy for MVP so I'm not hating on the guy. I just didn't see him worth a top 5 spot or anything. 

His 135 wRC+ was very good but not great. He had 7.6 BsR, which is worth less than 1 WAR,  so his baserunning was being overrated. And like I said above, his defense sucked. 

Trout's defense wasn't good but he was a top 3 hitter in baseball. Altuve wasn't.