• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Report: Yankees Have Called Angels About Howie Kendrick

NJHalo

Another offseason and more Kendrick rumors - you know we don't have to trade him - how bout we keep the solid good homegrown player unless it's a really good deal . I fear he will get traded for crap just because for some reason we are supposed to trade him

why are we supposed to trade him?

If I were the GM, I wouldn't unless it was clearly a good deal. Like a good SS or OF prospect with speed and power that doesn't come with giant deficiencies in his approach.

Like Kole Calhoun. Doesn't have to be hyped, just good and young and it'd put the Angels a very comfortable 19 million under the cap. It'd open up a spot for Green or Yarbrough and offer flexibility.

But I don't think teams will be offering that, so I'd likely end up keeping him and offering compensation next year to gain draft picks.

Dipoto said Kendrick isn't going to be traded this winter.

And he shouldn't. Tons of cash coming off the books next year, and especially the year after that. If anything I'd see if Howie could get locked up in a deal similar to his last extension, if not, offer him the QO and get a draft pick. 

I'm not even sure why you'd want to keep Beckham.  He's a good defensive 2B and 3B but the Angels could get that for the league minimum.  Why offer him 5 million to be a bench player when you're tight for cash?  While he was solid in his time with the Angels, the rest of his career indicates he's not a starter and at best is a platoon bat.  If you like him for the sole purpose that he can also play a passable SS I don't buy it because Grant Green can also play a passable shortstop. 

I like Beckham and all,seems like a good teammate but I'd see if the Angels could get anything in a trade for him and if not, release him.  They got him for free, it's not like they'll be taking a loss on anything. 

I wouldn't count on Kendrick bringing back the kind of starter we would likely want in any deal.

Agreed. It might be different story if we had a viable defensive second baseman to take his place. Green or Beckham isn't going to cut it. Making such a move would be making the team worse in the short term (*especially* in the playoffs, where defensive second basemen play ever game and 4th-5th starters might never even appear), in exchange for saving some money or improving the team long term. Consider the Angels are in a window of opportunity to win now, this isn't the kind of move we should be making.

I know Dipoto told Sherman he won't be trading Kendrick but I just don't buy it.

1. He said the same thing about Trumbo last offseason.

2. That's the sort of thing you say when you're driving up the price of a player.

3. His value is high, meaning it's a prime time to sell.

4. They acquired Grant Green in exchange for a reliable albeit unspectacular everyday 3B for a reason, he'd be their future everyday 2B/3B/SS or wherever he fits.

5. They've aggressively promoted Alex Yarbrough for a reason.

I think this will go down somewhat similarly to Trumbo last winter. Im guessing a deal gets done at the meetings in early December. Remember that report about 10 or something teams interested in Trumbo last year? I also don't buy Dipoto saying he's our starting 2B for sure. If an attractive offer comes at the meetings, you trade him. As previously mentioned in this thread, there are some decent internal options to fill in the spot at second until this Cuban prospect we just signed or someone else is ready. 

I believe Dipoto at this point has seen enough of the market for Kendrick that he's not planning to trade him.

Which is exactly how he felt about Trumbo one year ago before he let it slip (oops) that 10 teams had "talked about him" and, oh wow, the offers improved.

That being said, Kendick's trade value is much less than Trumbo's a year ago and the Angels need for controllable young pitching is also less.