• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meet the latest Cuban sensation who could change the game

gotbeer

Meet the latest Cuban sensation who could change the game

Under baseball’s current collective-bargaining agreement, international free agents under 23 years old with fewer than five years’ experience in a professional league fall under the purview of MLB’s international bonus pool. Meaning for every dollar a team goes beyond its allotted budget to sign international amateurs – the highest this season is Houston with $4.94 million – it must pay a 100 percent tax. On top of that, if a team goes 15 percent beyond its pool, it cannot spend more than $300,000 on an international amateur for the next two signing periods.

So far, the closest any team has come to shattering its pool with one player is the Los Angeles Angels, who signed 20-year-old infielder Roberto Baldoquin for $8 million last week. Moncada is considered a far superior prospect, and with the Angels, New York Yankees and Boston Red Soxamong the teams that have exceeded their 2014 pools by 15 percent, the incentive exists to go strong on Moncada. 

If Moncada reaches free agency before June 15, 2015, the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels are eligible to sign him. If not, because of the penalties that will restrict who they can sign in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 periods, the max they would be able to offer is $300,000.

Moncada sounds like such a talent that the bidding is going to blow everything else away. But to be honest, I kind of hope that Arte wants him so badly that he gets involved and tells Dipoto "Whatever it takes," kind of like he did with Pujols.

I'm glad about Baldoquin, but I'm also wondering if it was a bit of a "drunk purchase." Otherwise it seems that Dipoto sees something in him that others didn't, or simply was willing to overpay for someone who sounds like a good-but-not-great prospect.

And so the intrigue is just starting. Teams see Moncada as the best amateur player available, better than any draft-eligible high school or college player, better potentially even than Yasmany Tomas, the Cuban slugger who could fetch $100 million as a free agent.

per the link above...

I don't pretend to know much about these international rules, but if we are talking $100M, wouldn't the tax be astronomical for all teams?  At $100M, everyone would blow by the 15% threshold so everyone would be taxed at 100%.  My point being, I'd be surprised if anyone gave him $100M before the tax.

But again, I'm a numbskull with this stuff.

@JeffFletcherOCR: #Angels were not at Moncada workout today but they have seen him. Not likely to get involved.

Other than some 2nd tier type pitchers (don't like Scherzer or Lester) I just want Moncada. Like mentioned, it makes sense and this team needs more youth.

Edited by CanadianHalo

Also, isn't there a tax cap? Since they've already gone over the allotted amount, they can now spend as much as they want as they've already incurred the max penalty? Or are they being taxed 100% for every dollar they spend now? If it's the latter, then this team just blew their chances at making a decent signing in the next two years international drafts for a guy literally nobody knows about.

Also, isn't there a tax cap? Since they've already gone over the allotted amount, they can now spend as much as they want as they've already incurred the max penalty? Or are they being taxed 100% for every dollar they spend now? If it's the latter, then this team just blew their chances at making a decent signing in the next two years international drafts for a guy literally nobody knows about.

yes, it's dollar for dollar this year, and yes they can't sign anybody else from the international market worth a shit for the next couple years.

yes, it's dollar for dollar this year, and yes they can't sign anybody else from the international market worth a shit for the next couple years.

That's the thing with this franchise.   For the success they have had, there are times where they seem to want to stymie it themselves. 

I hope Baldoquin is worth it.