• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone watch the World Series of Poker Final Table the past two days?

Brandon

One of the best FT's I've seen. Not the bad beats and wild hands that the casual fan might enjoy, but from a poker stand point just really good poker.

I'll try to not talk poker strat in the thread since 1) I'm probably wrong and 2) It's just lol here and like talking poker in NVG on 2+2, but maybe can help some watching that have questions.

It was really solid.

I watched as much as I could. Being in the CST I missed the ending. It was a bit of a surprise to see Van Hoof lose his edge tonight. He really looked stressed, as if he was getting physically ill or coming down with the flu.

I feel bad for Newhouse. I hope he is mentally strong enough to handle finishing 9th again.

It was interesting to see Daniel and Phil sitting side by side. I guess ESPN had enough pull to get them to the same table. Phil couldn't have been too happy about the reviews of his tweets segments. LOL

caught just a little bit of this last night. was intrigued by the douchy-looking euro without a hat that felt the need to stare down the other euro. i realize there's a good deal of gamesmanship involved in events like this, but i don't think i'd handle very well some dude staring me down.

I watched as much as I could. Being in the CST I missed the ending. It was a bit of a surprise to see Van Hoof lose his edge tonight. He really looked stressed, as if he was getting physically ill or coming down with the flu.

I feel bad for Newhouse. I hope he is mentally strong enough to handle finishing 9th again.

It was interesting to see Daniel and Phil sitting side by side. I guess ESPN had enough pull to get them to the same table. Phil couldn't have been too happy about the reviews of his tweets segments. LOL

That hand where Stephenson jammed the river with middle pair was nuts, but then so was Van Hoof calling off with bottom pair. I was surprised JVH couldn't find a fold. Most people are still talking about the Newhouse bust out hand, but i think this one was so huge. You didn't miss much and this was actually one of the quickest three handed plays I've seen in recent years.....it finished by 10 pst. Jacobson just chipped up and grinder down Stephenson when they were heads up.

Jacobson played damn near flawlessly......with a little bit of luck as he came in short stacked and had to pretty much play push/fold, and every time he open jammed no one happened to have hand and he was only a sleigh dog on one of them, Q3dd > Ax if I'm remembering it correctly versus Pappas.

But I probably more surprised Van Hoof ended in 3rd than Jacobson winning it.

People were still cracking Newhouse suicide jokes today. Back to back 9th place finishes is one of the sickest things ever and also one of the most brutal.

Edited by Brandon

Brandon, do you know what percentage of the final table was sold to backers?

No and there wasn't really much talk about it because all top three are solid high stakes pros.....I know Jacobson even places high roller events. I could see some swaps for variance, but haven't come across anything outside of the lone amateur Billy Pappas is said to have been put in by a buddy and they simply chopped up the winnings 50/50.

Instead of who had pieces the main chatter was whether the final three chopped behind closed doors. The WSOP doesn't allow chops, but it happens and the fact they made it a 10m guarantee for first opposed to a normal percentage means the pay scale was too top heavy....heck, the 5m gap between 1st and 2nd is nuts. Flipping heads up for 5m is pretty crazy. Many speculate the three chopped because the chip/skill level difference was pretty close for where the pay level jumps were. It makes sense, but doubt we ever really find out because the WSOP doesn't advocate or allow open discussions about chops.

With a really solid final table and all having good results live or online I'd imagine all but the amateur had really large pieces if not all of themselves.

Edited by Brandon

caught just a little bit of this last night. was intrigued by the douchy-looking euro without a hat that felt the need to stare down the other euro. i realize there's a good deal of gamesmanship involved in events like this, but i don't think i'd handle very well some dude staring me down.

Yeah, that's the point of why he does it. The telecast made too much of a deal about it and the intimidation factor. Plus, it's a special circumstance where the event is live on a 30 minute delay, so everyone playing has people in the stands watching the telecast because they can report back to the players about what the other players had 30 minutes previously.

I don't like it myself, but there was a lot of talk about some of the players having tells....which may be accurate the way some pots were won. Tells are things players give off that tell everyone what kind of hand the player has. Usually it's innocuous things like how a person puts their chips in the pot, posture, breathing patterns, or even one that I used to have (it's also why I generally wear a hoodie at the table and try to cover up my neck) where the carotid artery in the neck starts pulsating like crazy if a player has a monster hand or is trying to run a huge bluff. So with it being live and on television I can see analyzing what players are doing a bit more than usual because you are getting feedback from your rail or section of the stands where friends/family act as a second set of eyes.

But yeah, I was playing a weekend or two ago and some asshole was physically leaning over into the middle of the table to mad dog everyone playing, whether he was in the hand or not. It was so tilting and just obstructing if you're in a hand against someone across the table and have to look through some dork. Some older guy spoke up because where they were seated at the table it was just awkward what this guy was doing. He asks the dork, "What the hell are you doing?" and the guy responds with, "I'm looking for tells" to which the older guy states, but were not even in the hand together....it's pretty disrespectful to be a nuisance if you're not in the hand and obstructing others playing a pot.

Just absurd because poker isn't like in the movies where if some guy blinks three times they are bluffing or whatever. With tells you're mostly looking for betting patterns and timing patterns. You may once in a while get the guy that has the carotid artery pulsing too much with a big hand or they stop breathing when they are bluffing, maybe they even look down before they bet a certain amount every time trying to steal a pot. But trying to look through people's souls in a 1/2 game is absurd. The only thing it did was the reverse where a bunch of us seasoned players knew this dork was a rookie or the type that just watches it on tv and tries to emulate what they see the pros do.

I have never understood the appeal of televised poker.

It's boring unless you play...to be honest. I can see the casual guy into the fact millions ride on the pay jumps between finishing 3rd or 4th, etc. Looking at it from a casual or someone not interested it's watching dudes sit around and stare at each other, but playing for millions. I see that appeal, but don't think the average dude watching The Voice or American Idol will give a shit about it.

There's a mix between a competitive aspect for millions and math/ play based aspect that some find interesting........some dude trying to bluff to win for a couple million has some appeal.

Cez mentioned Omaha and that is a straight degen game of counterfeits. It's just fun and exciting. You need to have a good bankroll to play because even solid hands that generally win are losers in Omaha. I used to play a monthly game with the rich white dude country club types where we had a minimum $500 buy-in but because it was dealers choice you could literally leave a couple grand up the way and the games these guys played. It was mostly Omaha and O8 (Omaha 8 or better where there can be a high winner and low winner), but being dealers choice there was a dude that always picked O8, but would deal two rails (boards........think Texas Hold'em, but with two flops) just because he was a baller and wanted to gamble.

Omaha is fun. I feel I would need to learn more pre flop strategy to play well with regards to starting hands and spots to play. 

They tried to show O8 and I even thought they did a good job with showing the high and low hands and talking about play, but it never caught on. I was reading a Deadspin article and poker, mainly no limit hold'em and the World Series get better rating sthan the WNBA (lol), hockey, and the MLS.