• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeff Passan: Angels to go after Scherzer

I'd rather see the halos trade away whatever is left of the farm for a young pitcher.  

There are so many reasons why this shouldn't be true, but the ultimate trump card is Arte.  When he wants a player, he will make it very diffcult for that player to turn him down.  

spending 200mil on this guy is ill advised.  

if they are going to blow past the luxury tax, I could see them doing it next year because they have a much better chance at dropping back under for 2016.  I'd rather have Cueto, Zimmerman or Latos who are free agents next year.  There is also potentially Price, Medlen, Gallardo, Porcello, Leake, among others.  

I also think Scherzer is primed for a velo drop and/or injury.  There is no way that fastball lasts much longer.  

Don't do it Arte.  Don't do it.  

Seriously. If this past offseason showed them anything, it's that you don't need to chase the big names in FA. Just be smart about it. Evaluate and analyze the market/FA's rather than just go the simple route of throwing a lot of money at the top name

They can improve their team by adding some mid-tier starter for way cheaper, bolster the pen even more(if they want) and entertain trade discussions, etc.

Last offseason, Yankees signed Brian McCann, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Matt Thornton(RP), Brian Roberts, and Masahiro Tanaka...spending nearly $500 million.

What was the end result? They won 1 less game than they did in 2013

Edited by bloodbrother

i listened to the interview it's total bs. it's actually a hatchet job at arte moreno. passan makes some mostly innocuous comments about moreno, and the radio hosts package the interview with overstated headlines to get website hits. 

things like, meddlesome moreno not a baseball man or angels favorite to sign sherzer. i love rumors, but i hate when they make up the rumor just so they can talk about the rumor.

I would not at all be surprised if the Angels sign one of Scherzer, Lester, or Shields. Should it happen? Hard to say. Any of the three would greatly improve the team over the next 2-3 years, especially Scherzer or Lester. But the Angels would likely be in yet another situation of playing for the near future with the long-term future.

Of course in the cases of Hamilton and Pujols, it is paying for the pre-Angels past with the Angels present and future.

I'd be ok with signing Lester or Scherzer at 6/140-150, but I suspect they will get more. Although such a deal would cause the Angels to exceed the tax threshold, there is a lot of money that will be off the books by the end of 2016 (including Weaver, Wilson, Kendrick, Aybar, Smith, and Street).

Not sure what to make of this...
Only way i see it being true is if Arte wants to stack the deck, but if thats the case i think we need a DH a la carte to go with that pitcher to really sends the odds into that region.
i wouldn't be surprised to see it happen at all, if Arte has proven anything its that hes willing to spend where needed.

I'd be ok with signing Lester or Scherzer at 6/140-150, but I suspect they will get more. Although such a deal would cause the Angels to exceed the tax threshold, there is a lot of money that will be off the books by the end of 2016 (including Weaver, Wilson, Kendrick, Aybar, Smith, and Street).

And we'll replace those players how? If young cost controlled players were in high supply, we'd have more. Relying on 6 expiring contracts (that are all reasonable) to afford one is not a sustainable model.

And we'll replace those players how? If young cost controlled players were in high supply, we'd have more. Relying on 6 expiring contracts (that are all reasonable) to afford one is not a sustainable model.

Therein lies one of the problems with the approach. But if you just limit the analysis to Weaver and Wilson, you are still looking at about $35 mil coming off the books. If you are replacing that $35 mil with $25 for scherzer or Lester, you still have some money to play with.

This just reinforces how horrific the signing of Josh Hamilton really was. 25 million per year for a garden gnome.

I didn't now they made a Hamilton gnome, only ones i have are of Pujols and Weaver...

And that money should ONLY be used on FAs playing at the prime of their career and are not 30 yet.

And if there aren't very many like that, then pass on big money FAs!

We have been burned FARRRRR too often with this!