• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeff Passan: Angels to go after Scherzer

The "Scherzer to the Angels" thing is misleading. Passan said that the Angels will probably have to exceed the luxury tax and getting Scherzer may make sense since they're going over the limit anyways. 

Going over the cutoff is no big deal but only if you're very certain you can get back under it after a couple years. The tax itself is minor for the first couple years (starts at 15% of the amount over the threshold), but for teams that are over for multiple straight years that eventually goes up to 50% and, more significantly, leads to teams being disqualified from receiving their share of MLB revenue sharing funds. Fro a team like that Angels that would be like a $30M/year fine.

The "big three" (Trout, Pujols, and Hamilton ) will be earning an avverage annual value of $25M/year each for the next 3-7 years. If we do go over it would probalby be for some mid-tier free agents that will be available on shorter term deals than what Scherzer or Lester would need.

Edited by ScottLux

I've learned to never say never with regards to Arte.

Also if Dipoto was able to cut enough payroll we'd actually have the money to make a run at Scherzer.

However this would be difficult to pull off without going over the luxury tax and that would require Moreno's blessing which seems very doubtful.

I really hope not.  The Angels need to get younger, more athletic, more balanced.  Pujols, Ham, Weav, Wilson, Iannetta, Kendrick, Aybar, Freese, Street, Smith and Jepsen are all 30 or older.  That's a tremendous chunk of the team.

They have a solid young core in Trout, Calhoun, Cron, Richards, Shoe, Skaggs, Santiano, Tropeano and most of the bullpen, but the Angels are in need of high level talent in the 20-26 age region.  Mind you, they don't need to get it all at once, but that's where their long term focus needs to be. 

The minors will help with high end guys like Newcomb, Baldoquin and Ricardo Sanchez, but they need at least a few more high level talent guys.  You do that through the draft (meaning NOT signing guys like Scherzer) and trading veterans nearing free agency from positions of strength in return for good prospects that are in AA/AAA.

THe Angels played the other game long enough, the one where they buy pricy veterans in free agency and surrender draft picks.  Now it is time to slowly but surely reload so that you can remain competitive.  

Without considerable help from the high minors, I can't see this team remaining competitive any longer than two more years. 

Going over the cutoff is no big deal but only if you're very certain you can get back under it after a couple years. The tax itself is minor for the first couple years (starts at 15% of the amount over the threshold), but for teams that are over for multiple straight years that eventually goes up to 50% and, more significantly, leads to teams being disqualified from receiving their share of MLB revenue sharing funds. Fro a team like that Angels that would be like a $30M/year fine.

The "big three" (Trout, Pujols, and Hamilton ) will be earning an avverage annual value of $25M/year each for the next 3-7 years. If we do go over it would probalby be for some mid-tier free agents that will be available on shorter term deals than what Scherzer or Lester would need.

Yeah I don't think it's smart by any means. Just reiterating the basic idea behind the news. 

I really hope not.  The Angels need to get younger, more athletic, more balanced.  Pujols, Ham, Weav, Wilson, Iannetta, Kendrick, Aybar, Freese, Street, Smith and Jepsen are all 30 or older.  That's a tremendous chunk of the team.

They have a solid young core in Trout, Calhoun, Cron, Richards, Shoe, Skaggs, Santiano, Tropeano and most of the bullpen, but the Angels are in need of high level talent in the 20-26 age region.  Mind you, they don't need to get it all at once, but that's where their long term focus needs to be. 

The minors will help with high end guys like Newcomb, Baldoquin and Ricardo Sanchez, but they need at least a few more high level talent guys.  You do that through the draft (meaning NOT signing guys like Scherzer) and trading veterans nearing free agency from positions of strength in return for good prospects that are in AA/AAA.

THe Angels played the other game long enough, the one where they buy pricy veterans in free agency and surrender draft picks.  Now it is time to slowly but surely reload so that you can remain competitive.  

Without considerable help from the high minors, I can't see this team remaining competitive any longer than two more years. 

Yup. 

Be smart and sign guys to short term deals right now. We have pitching on the way so you don't need to overspend just for the 2015 season. 

Yup.

Be smart and sign guys to short term deals right now. We have pitching on the way so you don't need to overspend just for the 2015 season.

We could very much use two more really good infield prospects and an OF prospect. Two of which need to be 20+ SB threats and the other which needs to be a 20+ HR threat.

I think the best way to do this is to trade for one, draft one and develop one. I feel confident in developing one, because someone will step up. I'm confident the Angels will draft one as well. The hard part will be trading for one. If Jepson can't net you one, Kendrick would.

We could very much use two more really good infield prospects and an OF prospect. Two of which need to be 20+ SB threats and the other which needs to be a 20+ HR threat.

I think the best way to do this is to trade for one, draft one and develop one. I feel confident in developing one, because someone will step up. I'm confident the Angels will draft one as well. The hard part will be trading for one. If Jepson can't net you one, Kendrick would.

I know you're much bigger on Green than most are but I still have an issue handing over the everyday job to him in 2015. The Angels are poised to make noise again and creating a hole to add a piece for the future is a tough move to sell. 

If the Angels are blown away by an offer for Howie, then I could side with the move. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

If they are willing to blow past the luxury tax, I'd rather they go after Lester. Don't have to forfeit a 1st round pick. Scherzer's mechanics scare me going forward as well. The talk when he was a prospect was that with his delivery he wouldn't last as a starter and would eventually have to move to the pen, and he's dealt with general shoulder soreness/tightness at times over his career