• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hot Stove, chiming in...

floplag

Wel, i guess i should get some ideas down before stuff happens

As far as our roster i like what we have, i would try to retain the pieces we have in arbitration for the most part, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Most of the FA guys arent a big loss so meh, let those go.

Ill preface this by saying i fully expect them to explore trade options for the infielders to get back pitchers and then replace that as a general strategy.

As for targets thru FA or trade.... well, my shoppping list has 3 items on it:  SP, LHRP, DH. 

a SP.  no brainer, but im not shopping at the ritz here. im looking for a guy that is mid rotation somewhere at best that even though may have a cost this year isnt going to tie up multiple years.  AJ Burnett comes to mind as a good choice to help bridge the gap till the injured return for the year and wont likely want more than 1 year and wants to play for a competitor so.  If we want something more long term maybe the next possible NPB import Kenta Maeda, not as good as darvish, but also wont cost as much and would slot in mid rotation nicely.   I dont think we go after any of the big names here... i just dont think any will be worth the cost.  Lester is poison to me after being in both Bos and Oak, lol...  There are a few good ones in the pool this year, but cost will be a factor.. if we go shopping at the ritz, it should be for the top of the rotation and slot people down.

LHRP.  i love the pen, but a lockdown lefty would make it near bullet proof.   Andrew Miller maybe? or if he gets up near closer money maybe not, but something in that line i think.

DH.  This is a need to me.  I know most here wont agree but the rotating DH thing and Kendrick in the 5 tells me we need another power bat.  VMart would be awesome, but unlikely.  Idlike to get a guy that has some flexibility to spell Pujols and others but be more than a bench guy slotted in.

I am completely ok with trading Kendrick for the right return, but that means ML level help, not stocking the farm.  If we are going to trade Freese, which i doubt, we would have to sign a replacement since we dont exactly have one.  i like Beckham, but i dont think hes an everyday 3B... if anyone was going to trade with us they would likely just go get headley or one of those guys and not give up talent.. but thats a guess.

I like Beckham in short time he was with us and hope we keep him.  He couldd drop in at 2B i all else fails.  wont be as good, but wont leave a black hole either.   something about the guy i just like, and his peripheral numbers jumped after the trade to us..   Kendrick put up a 293/744 last year, he gave us 268/757.. small sample i know but still, he seemed to fit in well.

Would take a serious look at the Korean SS/3B/2B/OF with the power bat Jong-Ho Kang as a possible drop in post trades.

Id look at more Cubans right now.. already blew the tax/whatever. might as well get as much as we can.

More to follow im sure.. but thats where i am right now.. well see who all actually comes available and augment accordingly.

Seems like a good year to load up on overseas talent....if it doesn't effect the luxury tax, which seems to be a bugaboo with Arte, why not....Maeda, Moncada, maybe one of the SKorean guys....could solve some long range problems (thin in the minors, Hamilton and Pujols dragging the payroll) without busting the luxury tax....

Edited by DMVol

the thing about that oversees tax though is that its this year only as i recall.. we already blew it, adding more wont affect next year in that regard.. it isnt like the payroll tax i dont think aside from how it affect next year.  could be wrong on that, just seems a good time to look that way if were going to  is all.

I wonder how well the Kang can play 3B, from what i read he projects better there or 2B here than he does at SS.  He has however won the equivalent of the gold glove over there.

He isnt a big guy at about 6' 200ish...   here is something i got form one site on him:
Defensively, Kang has quick reactions. His arm is generally decent enough to get the job done, and he makes up for any missing zip on his throws with good range and agility to his left and right. He is able to get to balls to the right (his left) of the second base bag and to the deep shortstop hole with equal ability. He loses some zip on his throw from deep in the hole, but such throws are generally sufficient to get slower baserunners out. If he shows no issues playing shortstop in MLB, he should be at least an average defensive player. At 6 feet and roughly 210 pounds, there should be no concerns about him being "too big" for the position.

Here a video i saw on him.. i have to say im quite impressed.  got a leg kick that scares me a bit but defensibly looks really sharp

just some hot stove pron to muse over... lol

I think they are completely done with the pen. Perhaps they make a run at a starting pitcher via free agency if the can't trade for one.

I honestly would not be surprised if the only other move made is a bench depth signing. The pen and position players are set, and with Tropeano we now have six starting pitchers.

Probably going to be a very quiet off-season.

true.. with the recent issues it may seem set if we assume them ML ready, though i suspect they may look at someone to hold the line till Richards gets back and Skaggs heals.. as i said AJ Burnett makes  a lot of sense on a one year deal to me pending cost i mean i dont overpay for him, but he does fit the need.  not know for the west coast but still.. just a sample of what im talking about

also i saw something predicting that Kang is likely to only get about 2/5 plus posting fee due to offensive translation concerns... for that i definitely think id take a look.  May only top out of upper level utility player, may be a wolf in sheeps clothing.. only time will tell

Korea also has a lefty starter posted that might now be terribad at the back end for 1-2 years.  Kwang-Hyun Kim.  plus another that projects even higher though didnt put up as good numbers last year.

Edited by floplag

the thing about that oversees tax though is that its this year only as i recall.. we already blew it, adding more wont affect next year in that regard.. it isnt like the payroll tax i dont think aside from how it affect next year. could be wrong on that, just seems a good time to look that way if were going to is all.

I wonder how well the Kang can play 3B, from what i read he projects better there or 2B here than he does at SS. He has however won the equivalent of the gold glove over there.

He isnt a big guy at about 6' 200ish... here is something i got form one site on him:

Defensively, Kang has quick reactions. His arm is generally decent enough to get the job done, and he makes up for any missing zip on his throws with good range and agility to his left and right. He is able to get to balls to the right (his left) of the second base bag and to the deep shortstop hole with equal ability. He loses some zip on his throw from deep in the hole, but such throws are generally sufficient to get slower baserunners out. If he shows no issues playing shortstop in MLB, he should be at least an average defensive player. At 6 feet and roughly 210 pounds, there should be no concerns about him being "too big" for the position.

Here a video i saw on him.. i have to say im quite impressed. got a leg kick that scares me a bit but defensibly looks really sharp

just some hot stove pron to muse over... lol

Only if he changes his name to Gung-ho.

aj burnett is not coming here. his wife won't fly and he's already flat out refused trades to the angels. he's just about done with baseball, and it would take a major sea change in attitude for him to come here, it's not going to happen based on probability.

i think it would be awesome if the Angels signed a ton of these korean and cuban guys, rather than any of the big name american FA. i like how they'd complement the angels needs and i like their long term prospects better, plus they don't effect the luxury tax in the same way. i don't expect it, but i'd be stoked.