• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Might as well grab Moncado

Second Base

Sure, Moncada would be excellent but I don't view it as particularly realistic. I definitely agree though that it makes sense to go hard in the international market this year given that we can't next year. If that means going for a handful of mid-tier guys, with bonuses in the $1mil+ range, then that's great. If it means going for that one big splash, that's fine too.

Baseball America is saying the same thing

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/one-team-to-watch-for-yoan-moncada/

But after the Angels chose not to make an aggressive financial push for players on July 2, it is surprising that they would suddenly decide it’s worth it to break their 2014-15 bonus pool just to sign Baldoquin. Some scouts liked Baldoquin, others didn’t like him enough to break their bonus pool and have to sit out on premium international amateur prospects the next two signing periods, while others didn’t see what the Angels saw in him.

If you want to restock the farm system and put your team in a position to succeed in the future, this is the way the Angels will need to do it. I don't anticipate them finishing in the bottom half of the standings any time soon and thus don't expect any high draft picks. Picking up Newcomb when they did was a tremendous blessing.

Picture him, Moncada and Baldoquin all in the farm system and all within two years of being on the big league team. Folks would suddenly go from talking about how empty the cupboard is to how full it looks.

If you want to restock the farm system and put your team in a position to succeed in the future, this is the way the Angels will need to do it. I don't anticipate them finishing in the bottom half of the standings any time soon and thus don't expect any high draft picks. Picking up Newcomb when they did was a tremendous blessing.

Picture him, Moncada and Baldoquin all in the farm system and all within two years of being on the big league team. Folks would suddenly go from talking about how empty the cupboard is to how full it looks.

+1....Arte will spend, that's never been a problem....but if the luxury tax really does present a problem, this is a way to spend without worrying about the luxury tax......

Edited by DMVol

The only impediment I see to signing Moncado is that they already spent $13 mil on Baldoquin. I know Arte has deep pockets, but that is $13 mil less he now has to spend on Moncado. It would seem the signing of Baldoquin would make a Moncado signing less likely, not more likely.

Ok, perhaps I am wrong. It happens all the time.

You follow the organization as close as anyone. Can you name any of these prospects?

Couldn't name them if I wanted to. But the again there was a time I had no idea who Jose Rondon was, or Erick Aybar or Ervin Santana, or Jean Segura.

Most of those signings are so low profile the scouts in the organization aren't even sure who they are. They don't have a name or identity until they put up some numbers.

Most of the guys signed are done so for just a couple thousand dollars and a chance to play ball.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/yoan-moncada-expected-to-receive-record-bonus-for-amateur-player.html#disqus_thread

Yoan Moncada Expected To Receive Record Bonus For Amateur Player
By Steve Adams [November 12, 2014 at 9:39pm CST]

Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada is quickly becoming one of the most hyped amateurs in history, and it’s expected that he will absolutely shatter the record for an amateur player — international or domestic — according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. Passan spoke to a pair of GMs and two other executives, and all four agreed that they expect the 19-year-old Moncada to land an incredible $30-40MM bonus.

While that bonus doesn’t necessarily seem steep right off the bat, at least when juxtaposed with the commitments made to countrymen Yoenis Cespedes ($36MM), Yasiel Puig($42MM), Jose Abreu ($68MM) and Rusney Castillo ($72.5MM), bear in mind that each of those players was viewed as a professional under baseball’s collective bargaining agreement and therefore was not subject to international spending limitations.

Moncada, on the other hand, will be subject to spending limits, but executives that spoke with Passan still seemed to believe the price tag could approach $40MM. That would obliterate any team’s bonus pool, and a signing team would have to pay a 100 percent luxury tax on all overages (in addition to subsequently being prohibited from spending more than $300K on a player in the next two signing periods). In that regard, then, a team would essentially be dropping $60-80MM to add Moncada to its farm system, based on the range Passan received in his poll of execs.

If it doesn't count toward the luxury tax, he has family near Anaheim and is the last major prospect they'll be able to sign for the next two years, you might as well do it.  The Angels won't be getting another chance to assemble a farm system like this.  98 wins is great, but in a couple of years, the Angels will look awfully old and they'll need elite prospects like Moncada, Newcomb and Baldoquin to infuse the team with young talent.  

Think about it like this, the Cardinals run should've been over in 2008.  But they have signed, drafted and developed so many outstanding prospects that it's a forgone conclusion they'll be in the playoffs.  That's what the Angels have a chance at building.