• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Might as well grab Moncado

Second Base

The Angels blew past their predetermined international spending cap when they signed Baldoquin. They're already limited to spending no more than 300k on any prospect next year. If the team felt comfortable dropping 8 million (plus the tax on 5.8 million of it, which bring the total closer to 13-14 million), they might as well stock the farm system back up with Moncado.

That'd make for 3 very impressive prospects at the top of the prospect rankings, and selfishly, would make those offseason prospect rankings (my own included at MWAH) a heck of a lot more interesting to read for the general public.

Open up the check book arte.

1) it's not my money

2) rather take my chances on a cuban position player than a Asian pitcher

if you're talking about the two korean pitchers coming out, neither one of them are really worth a shit. i'd be surprised if they post for little more than a few million.

sure, what the hell. 

but the one thing I see holding them back is the fact that they have now spent 13 mil on an international player.  So yes, now would be the time to do it, but are they really going to commit that much more additional money on one guy? It's thought that Moncado will get upwards of 30mil which would cost 60mil with the tax.  I am not sure I want the team spending that much on a guy just about to turn 20.  

The whole point of developing prospects is that you are getting them on the cheap for those first few years.  For that kind of money, wouldn't you rather have a known quantity?  

I guess the question then is what does $60 million get you for a position player and for how many years?

Aaron Hill makes $12 mill a year and is a light hitting 2nd baseman. Simmons the Braves  shortstop is on a $58 million dollar contract. J.J. Hardy makes $13.3 million a year. Pedroia signed a $110 million dollar contract. Phillips a $72 million dollar contract along with Kinsler for about the same money. The Rangers gave Andrus $120 million.

None of those guys are available but they are what the market will bear for infielders and not even truly elite infielders. So for that $60 million, who do yu buy that can fit the bill?

I guess the question then is what does $60 million get you for a position player and for how many years?

Aaron Hill makes $12 mill a year and is a light hitting 2nd baseman. Simmons the Braves  shortstop is on a $58 million dollar contract. J.J. Hardy makes $13.3 million a year. Pedroia signed a $110 million dollar contract. Phillips a $72 million dollar contract along with Kinsler for about the same money. The Rangers gave Andrus $120 million.

None of those guys are available but they are what the market will bear for infielders and not even truly elite infielders. So for that $60 million, who do yu buy that can fit the bill?

exactly. however, my sense is that the angels aren't in on the moncada sweepstakes and that AW is setting itself up for disappointment, but i could be totally wrong.

exactly. however, my sense is that the angels aren't in on the moncada sweepstakes and that AW is setting itself up for disappointment, but i could be totally wrong.

They probably aren't, not after spending what they just did. Either way, it's finally good to see them making some noise in the International market. Need to replenish this farm and they've been too quiet on that avenue for too long

I agree that we'll get buttercupped on him, but agree. I know thing about this guy. But, if we cant sign another one for 2 more years, yes, go all in. The rality is 60 mill really isnt a ton of money in the big picture, especially if they work out. Its also a plus that this guy fills a position were not deep in, and will need a replacement in the not too distant future.

Good point by blarg, too

The Angels blew past their predetermined international spending cap when they signed Baldoquin. They're already limited to spending no more than 300k on any prospect next year. If the team felt comfortable dropping 8 million (plus the tax on 5.8 million of it, which bring the total closer to 13-14 million), they might as well stock the farm system back up with Moncado.

That'd make for 3 very impressive prospects at the top of the prospect rankings, and selfishly, would make those offseason prospect rankings (my own included at MWAH) a heck of a lot more interesting to read for the general public.

Won't happen because I think the Angels do operate on a budget.  I like the logic of the move.