• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are you Libertarian or Authoritarian

NrM

Are you Libertarian or Authoritarian  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Libertarian or Authoritarian

• Libertarian
    • Authoritarian

Religious fundamentalism is a political stance. Why can't being anti-religious be one as well?

My point is that any laws that try to legislate morality (abortion, birth control, marriage, prostitution) seem to have their roots in (big M) Morality, and most who consider themselves Moral or support "family values" (whatever the hell that means) seem to be religious.

If one is against abortion, don't have one. If one is against birth control, don't use it. If one is against gay marriage, don't be gay and/or don't get married.

Religion does affect one's political views, so how could it not be a religious stance? After all, the very first amendment in the Bill of Rights deals with it. You don't think the Founding Fathers knew that it could be a political issue?

Religion is not a political stance.  At all.  In fact both black and white churches share a common faith and yet you will find the folks inside of them with completely different political views. 

By the way, all laws legislate morality.  That is what laws are.  It is silly to say otherwise.  Don't agree with murder, don't kill anyone.  Don't agree with embezzlement, don't steal from your company.

In a world with a million denominations of different protestants, sure, there isn't a clear ideology. 

But at my Church, a traditional Catholic parish, there is. We proclaim to hold the True Faith, as it was practiced by the Apostles handed down to the Church Fathers and the next 1,500 years of Latin Mass in Europe. Heretics like "liberal Catholics", sodomites, and the divorced are denied Communion. This isn't true for many Novus Ordo Catholic Churches, as they are increasingly becoming Lutheranesque. 

If you follow the doctrine of the Church, you'll find a common belief system. 

Edited by bakunin

So, I guess Focus on the Family or the Right to Life Coalition or the National Organization for Marriage, etc, are not both religious AND political.

Murder and embezzlement are crimes against other persons and companies (which are one and the same according to five justices of the Supreme Court). These are generally acknowledged as criminal acts by a vast majority of people.

Drug possession/use, homosexuality/gay marriage, and abortion/birth control are religious beliefs/doctrines which have been politicized and are not generally agreed upon by a vast majority of people as being criminal. They are also not acts that have a recognizable victim (with the exception of abortion, and reasonable people can and do disagree on whether the fetus is a victim).

Another issue that crosses political and religious boundaries is creationism or "intelligent design". This is clearly a religious concept.

So, I guess Focus on the Family or the Right to Life Coalition or the National Organization for Marriage, etc, are not both religious AND political.

Murder and embezzlement are crimes against other persons and companies (which are one and the same according to five justices of the Supreme Court). These are generally acknowledged as criminal acts by a vast majority of people.

Drug possession/use, homosexuality/gay marriage, and abortion/birth control are religious beliefs/doctrines which have been politicized and are not generally agreed upon by a vast majority of people as being criminal. They are also not acts that have a recognizable victim (with the exception of abortion, and reasonable people can and do disagree on whether the fetus is a victim).

Another issue that crosses political and religious boundaries is creationism or "intelligent design". This is clearly a religious concept.

Of course they are both, that wasn't my argument.  I am saying they are not inherently connected.  The fact that faith has been politicized is just the fact that human beings are political by nature. 

Your argument isn't that religious folk are trying to legislate morality your argument is that they are trying to legislate morals you do not agree with, which is fine.  Debate is a good thing but bigotry, which is what you communicated in your first post on here, is not.

http://www.isidewith.com/

This is the test I always use and is the most detailed and thorough I've ever found.  It covers just about every issue and allows you to set the level of importance for each question.  It also allows you to enter your own answers.  Be sure not to miss additional questions that need to be 'expanded' at the bottom of each section.

They say I'm 78% Libertarian.

To non religious people they aren't truths, they are fallacies.

What makes the truths of non-religious people more legitimate than the truths of religious people? Why should non-religious people be encouraged to vote based on their worldviews, but not religious people? Shouldn't all people be encouraged to vote based on what they believe?