• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Election Night 2014

Sorry but DUI is one of those where I think severe jail time is needed.  Every time someone drives drunk they are endangering the lives of others.  Once they get out of jail they can be forced into rehab.

jail may not cure their addiction, but it sure as heck gets them off the road where they are an inherent danger to everyone else. 

is it possible to do a betty ford kind of treatment while in jail? that would seem to address both needs.

jail may not cure their addiction, but it sure as heck gets them off the road where they are an inherent danger to everyone else. 

is it possible to do a betty ford kind of treatment while in jail? that would seem to address both needs.

The courts may offer treatment in lieu of jail. I think they run on average about 20k a month and the court may make them go for three months....maybe it depends. I only know of a police officer that got a dui and got the leniency (and cash strap) of going to Betty Ford.

I don't condone drinking and driving, but feel safer on the road with someone that is .10 than some chick that can't put the phone down. If it's a 100lb chick .08 might be an impairment, but for a 200lb dude that is nothing. Again, it's the government one size fits all justice system.

I suggested this maybe a year ago in a similar thread.  If we're not going to do jail/prison for DUI's, the penalty ought to be extreme in other ways.  The current system is too "affordable" meaning you can nearly kill somebody, avoid jail, and the most it costs you is several thousand dollars in fines and lawyer fees for first time offenders. 

How about in lieu of jail, DUI offenders -- who don't kill or injure anybody -- get a fine of $25,000 or 2500 hours of community service time.  Their choice.  I don't think people would take the risk of DUI nearly as often knowing what penalties await them. 

The decision to drive drunk is not one made of rational thought. Punishment is not a going to deter because offenders assume they won't be caught or are not dangerous. I would make a second DUI an automatic lifetime loss of license.

i would require they have the breathalyzer device installed in their car in order to start it. losing their license won't prevent them from driving; not being able to start their car will.

The decision to drive drunk is not one made of rational thought. Punishment is not a going to deter because offenders assume they won't be caught or are not dangerous. I would make a second DUI an automatic lifetime loss of license.

No, but the decision to drink alcohol is rational, as is the decision to drink more and more -- up to a point. 

i would require they have the breathalyzer device installed in their car in order to start it. losing their license won't prevent them from driving; not being able to start their car will.

Nothing is going to stop them, really. But if you make them register like a sex offender then the neighborhood has a chance to defend itself.

How do you figure that?  The penalty most DUI offenders pay doesn't even cover the costs of their court trials. 

Almost no one goes to trial for a dui. It's a churn and burn industry. Dui's are almost all automatic (there is a courtroom in Riverside that is just for dui's that has a whiteboard up with specific fees and costs) and you're just wasting money if you try to go to trial. The only time trials are even considered is if jail time for a multiple offense or injury to someone.

Your average dui case is someone simply paying their couple grand court fees and going to dui school to get their license back, which are huge revenue generators for the counties. Lawyers and trials are a waste of money for people.

I used to know the stats because I was going to open a few dui schools....had the financial backers, doctors/licenses, and everything. The funny thing, and this only applies to Riverside County, is when I went to apply for a permit from the county they said they weren't taking any new schools because of territory issues because schools weren't reporting financial gains......which is pretty awesome considering almost all of them are all cash businesses, so easy to manipulate the books. I got in close with a counselor that I wanted to recruit from a prominent IE dui school. I think they were open 6 days a week and averaged 20 new people a day and their fees were somewhere around 2-2.5k per person for the course. You do the math. And this was a shitty little city mall type building with a couple employees that had a curriculum of watching the tv show Intervention then doing group chat sessions about how everyone's weekend was for a couple weeks, so the overhead was absurdly low. Riverside County also has people convicted go through a county office that just pushes papers for the court....more fees.

I think most people know the prison system is big business and a multi-billion dollar one at that. Dui's and dui schools are equally a large racket.

I think breathalyzers are pretty effective for the average person. When I was researching them people do all sorts of shit to bypass them though. From the guy having his buddy blow in it for him to the guy driving fast down the freeway putting the device out the window so it registers to even when they made them pressurized so people couldn't do the out the window trick joe construction guy with the air machine for nail guns would use the machine to push pressurized air into the device to allow them to drive. I think there are a bunch of other tricks the companies are still trying to catch up to.

Another good moneymaker as well. I know a dude that owns a tint shop that became a licensed dealer for a breathalyzer company that does more business installing the devices than he does selling tint.

I think breathalyzers are pretty effective for the average person. When I was researching them people do all sorts of shit to bypass them though. From the guy having his buddy blow in it for him to the guy driving fast down the freeway putting the device out the window so it registers to even when they made them pressurized so people couldn't do the out the window trick joe construction guy with the air machine for nail guns would use the machine to push pressurized air into the device to allow them to drive. I think there are a bunch of other tricks the companies are still trying to catch up to.

Another good moneymaker as well. I know a dude that owns a tint shop that became a licensed dealer for a breathalyzer company that does more business installing the devices than he does selling tint.

like a lot of things, companies have to outthink all the possible ways around their device. i hope they can figure it out sooner rather than later.

Almost no one goes to trial for a dui. It's a churn and burn industry. Dui's are almost all automatic (there is a courtroom in Riverside that is just for dui's that has a whiteboard up with specific fees and costs) and you're just wasting money if you try to go to trial. The only time trials are even considered is if jail time for a multiple offense or injury to someone.

Your average dui case is someone simply paying their couple grand court fees and going to dui school to get their license back, which are huge revenue generators for the counties. Lawyers and trials are a waste of money for people.

I used to know the stats because I was going to open a few dui schools....had the financial backers, doctors/licenses, and everything. The funny thing, and this only applies to Riverside County, is when I went to apply for a permit from the county they said they weren't taking any new schools because of territory issues because schools weren't reporting financial gains......which is pretty awesome considering almost all of them are all cash businesses, so easy to manipulate the books. I got in close with a counselor that I wanted to recruit from a prominent IE dui school. I think they were open 6 days a week and averaged 20 new people a day and their fees were somewhere around 2-2.5k per person for the course. You do the math. And this was a shitty little city mall type building with a couple employees that had a curriculum of watching the tv show Intervention then doing group chat sessions about how everyone's weekend was for a couple weeks, so the overhead was absurdly low. Riverside County also has people convicted go through a county office that just pushes papers for the court....more fees.

I think most people know the prison system is big business and a multi-billion dollar one at that. Dui's and dui schools are equally a large racket.

Never heard it broken down quite like this.  Interesting.