• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Election Night 2014

Years ago my grandfather's (uninhabited) house was ransacked and lots of valuables taken.  Besides stealing a gun, jewelry, and tools, they got away with every key in the house.  Every key.  What made it particularly awful was the stash of keys included spare keys to neighbors' homes too.  My grandfather was the neighborhood caretaker whenever people left on vacation and he amassed quite a collection of keys.  The neighborhood was on edge for months after this happened. 

The way I'm reading Prop 47 in the voter guide, it would be exceedingly difficult to prosecute the suspect for a felony if this happened all over again.  I hope I'm reading it wrong. 

I'm with you Brandon for the most part, but matters like these are not as cut-and-dried as they appear.  What's bothersome about this change is the lax sentencing handed out for misdemeanors these days, also due to overcrowding but at the county jails. 

In this case, I believe that since a gun was stolen, it would be a felony even after todays rulings.  Might be wrong though.

Years ago my grandfather's (uninhabited) house was ransacked and lots of valuables taken.  Besides stealing a gun, jewelry, and tools, they got away with every key in the house.  Every key.  What made it particularly awful was the stash of keys included spare keys to neighbors' homes too.  My grandfather was the neighborhood caretaker whenever people left on vacation and he amassed quite a collection of keys.  The neighborhood was on edge for months after this happened. 

The way I'm reading Prop 47 in the voter guide, it would be exceedingly difficult to prosecute the suspect for a felony if this happened all over again.  I hope I'm reading it wrong. 

I'm with you Brandon for the most part, but matters like these are not as cut-and-dried as they appear.  What's bothersome about this change is the lax sentencing handed out for misdemeanors these days, also due to overcrowding but at the county jails. 

Agreed and that's my point, not all cases or situations are cut and dry. I think some should be treated with more severity.

I felt I gave a pretty good retort to Adam's post, but deleted it because I used personal examples of how the system affects people, whether right or wrong, and some long term effects.

Throw the book at the repeat and armed robbery type shit. But throwing a felony at some dude stealing an iPad, which in some cases means state prison...likely county, but still possible is just absurd. Even expunged records are still viewable.

I don't think a lot of people consider the long view or the overall ramifications and just want to possibly lynch a dude that may be swiping that iPad to simply put food in their mouth or diapers for their kid.

Throw the book at the repeat and armed robbery type shit. But throwing a felony at some dude stealing an iPad, which in some cases means state prison...likely county, but still possible is just absurd. Even expunged records are still viewable.

I don't think a lot of people consider the long view or the overall ramifications and just want to possibly lynch a dude that may be swiping that iPad to simply put food in their mouth or diapers for their kid.

A felony conviction destroys any chance of finding employment for years, maybe decades, to come.  You'd have to become a self-employed entrepreneur to earn decent wages again.  That means the person who stole in the first place -- because he's now unemployable -- has extra incentive to steal again.  I think this is more or less your point.  I agree, this is a problem. 

The only thing I'd add to this is there's no middle ground because misdemeanor sentencing is pathetic.  If prison and county jail isn't the answer, then monetary fines and/or mandatory community service hours need to be increased 5x or 10x (or more) to make it truly punitive. 

Yeah, I touched on that in my deleted post.

I actually think they're too lenient with repeat offenders, but the alternative is something on your record that haunts you forever. Courts do try to give someone every chance to redeem themselves. I think they do a good job with non-violent offenders, but if some dude is in court for stealing his 5th car something different needs to be done or the court needs to realize this is the type of dude that doesn't need that second chance like the dude that stole money out of the register working at Wal-mart.

I've never been but from what I understand OCJ is no joke.

Yeah, Santa Ana sucks. It's a lot of gangbangers so they're tougher over there because of what they have to deal with.

Beaumont has a nickname of Camp Snoopy....easy going.

Robert Presley in Riverside seems standard.

Southwest in Murrieta is rough depending on what pod you're in. It was supposed to be a women's maximum security prison but with the overcrowding they move petty stuff over there.

The overcrowding affects sentencing per county as well. I knew some loser that got an 8th dui (he started getting them in the 80s) and I don't remember his sentence, but being in LA county they had to let him go after 3 days to make room. Although at 8, I don't think any amount of time is going to keep him from drinking and driving.

I knew some loser that got an 8th dui (he started getting them in the 80s) and I don't remember his sentence, but being in LA county they had to let him go after 3 days to make room. Although at 8, I don't think any amount of time is going to keep him from drinking and driving.

I have never understood the concept that incarceration somehow deters DUI. It is a substance addiction, and all you are doing by throwing them in prison is putting them into alcohol deprivation for a while (unless they live in a pod with a guy who is really good at making pruno).

I have hands free. A business partner of mine uses the hands free texting so much around the office it has started to rub off where I use it a little more everyday.

I also got a new car recently and got it in manual, so both hands are generally tied up driving anyway.

Trying to select that Spotify playlist is a bitch though.