• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yoan Moncada

SoWhat

"Top young Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada has established residence in Guatemala, where he will have a showcase November 12, Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports. Evaluators from all 30 teams are expected to attend. Moncada is petitioning to become an MLB free agent. In June, Sanchez reported that Moncada had left Cuba through legal means."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/yoan-moncada-to-hold-showcase.html

"Moncada is 19 and packs a lot of tools into his 6’1/210 frame. He’s a plus-plus runner with above average raw power from both sides of the plate and the tools/skills to stick in the infield, possibly at shortstop. Moncada is the quick-twitch type with big bat speed that clubs covet and his track record of hitting at big tournaments and in Cuba’s professional leagues is excellent considering his age. Ben Badler has even more details about how he’s performed in specific tournaments if you can’t get enough of this stuff."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/yoan-moncada-game-theory/

Edited by SoWhat

This us actually really good news for the Angels, as he falls under international spending and the biggest spenders already blew their wad and can't offer him as much as we can at this point.

There's a need in the system, there's the money in place, it's a perfect fit. Although he could excuse to wait until next July to sign, on which case he could get considerably more money but also lose an entire year of development. This is crucial because part of what makes him so appealing is his age. Signing a 19 year old fresh off a full season could be decidedly different than a rusty but toolsy 20 year old.

This us actually really good news for the Angels, as he falls under international spending and the biggest spenders already blew their wad and can't offer him as much as we can at this point.

if this is true, do you know what financial flexibility the different teams have? i only remember the yankees and rangers blowing their wads.

Edited by ukyah

There's a need in the system, there's the money in place, it's a perfect fit. Although he could excuse to wait until next July to sign, on which case he could get considerably more money but also lose an entire year of development. This is crucial because part of what makes him so appealing is his age. Signing a 19 year old fresh off a full season could be decidedly different than a rusty but toolsy 20 year old.

So it's basically the perfect fit for the Angels?

Welcome to a completely different team, Yoan!

The flip side of course is he can wait til next July 2nd and he has a lot more teams who could get involved.

If the defectors from Cuba successfully petition to be free agents doesn't that mean they fall outside of the international spending limits?

edit:

nope...I was wrong

Because he is under 23 and has not played in a Cuban professional league for five or more seasons, Moncada will be subjected to the international signing guidelines but it’s unclear if he will sign during 2014-15 international signing period that started July 2 and ends June 15, 2015 or during the 2015-2016 signing period that starts on July 2, 2015.

http://js.mlblogs.com/2014/11/03/showcase-planned-for-cuban-prospect-yoan-moncada/

Edited by red321

My question is, Why don't the Angels get more involved with more international prospects? Did something change in the system? did they pull funding. We used to have Shigi back in the day, then Kendrys

oh boy.... put on a tee for AO....

As I understand the international signing rules, unless he is eligible to be signed prior to June 15, 2015, the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays will effectively be prohibited from signing him as a penalty for exceeding the bonus pool this year.  

Presumably any team signing him will blow through the pool limits, but given his age, position and reported skills, I would "all in" on this kid if I were Arte.

i do have to agree that superficially it seems like we're missing out on complementing our weak farm system with international players. i'm sure there's quite a bit to the subject that i don't understand. so, i'll refrain from demanding satisfaction. 

My question is, Why don't the Angels get more involved with more international prospects? Did something change in the system? did they pull funding. We used to have Shigi back in the day, then Kendrys

Yeah, I'd really like us to start pumping some money into a strong scouting/development program in Latin America. Given the way the free agent market for major league players is structured, I would think the ROI from putting a ton of resources toward Latin America would be way better.