• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kendrick or Freese likely to be traded

HBMike

So maybe a deal like Morales for Vargas, where one FA to be is dealt for another...

Starting Pitchers that are up for FA after the year:

Clay Buchholz (31) – $13MM club option with a $245K buyout

Mark Buehrle (37)

Trevor Cahill (28) – $13MM club option with a $300K buyout

Jhoulys Chacin (28)

Wei-Yin Chen (30)

Bartolo Colon (43)

Johnny Cueto (30)

Ross Detwiler (30)

R.A. Dickey (41) – $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Marco Estrada (32)

Doug Fister (32)

Yovani Gallardo (30)

Jaime Garcia (29) – $11.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Jeremy Guthrie (37) – $10MM mutual option with a $3.2MM buyout

J.A. Happ (33)

Dan Haren (35)

Tim Hudson (40)

Hisashi Iwakuma (35)

Scott Kazmir (32)

Ian Kennedy (31)

John Lackey (37)

Mat Latos (28)

Mike Leake (28)

Tim Lincecum (32)

Kyle Lohse (37)

Corey Luebke (31) – $7.5MM club option with a $1.75MM buyout

Kris Medlen (30)

Bud Norris (31)

Ross Ohlendorf (33)

Mike Pelfrey (32)

Rick Porcello (27)

David Price (30)

Ricky Romero (31) – $13.1MM club option with a $600K buyout

Jeff Samardzija (31)

Alfredo Simon (35)

Jerome Williams (34)

Jordan Zimmermann (30)

i looked at that list and i saw the name cory luebke. cory luebke's story is a baseball bummer. one of the most talented pitchers that you've never heard of. if given just a reasonable amount of health, he could have been an ace. i know who he is because i live in SD, and i was hoping for years that somehow the angels could steal him, but knew there was no way the padres were giving him up. he was a really good pitcher. i'd still like the angels to grab him, just in case he has health on his side now.

In my mind, the Angels have the starting pitching depth they need now.  If they want to trade Howie, you have to chase quality, not necessarily quantity.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels get a Calhoun-like OF or 3B in AA/AAA for Howie.  That's how you ensure future success, by building the necessary talent at and around the major league system. 

The Angels are going to need 2-4 more really good prospects very soon to remain competitive beyond the next two years.  The draft can help, but I think the most surefire method here is dealing Howie.  

The Angels SP depth is basically right where it was last year, but with more question marks. Richards is not a lock to be healthy by opening day, and they don't have Skaggs.

I don't agree that it has more question marks. Last year we went into spring training with Blanton still on the team and an option. Last year we were going in with two starters that had success at the major league level, Wilson and Weaver. This year we are going into the season with Weaver, Shoemaker, Richards (when he comes back), with Santiago, Tropeano, Ramos, and Rasmus. All that and we still haven't seen any of the free agent pitchers sing a contract yet. Granted we don't know when Richards will come back, but hell last year we didn't even know if he was a good major league pitcher. We found out he was a great starting pitcher. Wilson is the big question mark and I have no defense for him. He could be a solid starting pitcher that walks to many but gets you six innings, or he could be the complete joke that he was most of this past season, I have no idea. Last year we didn't know if Shoemaker had the stuff to be a major league starter. This year, he may not be what he was last year, but at least we know the potential is there for a solid 3-5 starter even if he regresses. I am not saying we have no question marks, but I will say we have more quality major league depth going into this year.

Last offseason we had no idea if Weav's body was breaking down or what effect the drop in velo would have on his results. There were also questions regarding his new old arm angle.

Tyler Skaggs was expected to be bounced between AAA and the majors.

Garrett Richards was a question mark as a 5th starter.

There were serious questions as to Santiago remaining in the rotation.

And you think there are more questions now? We have only two minor concerns: 1. Will Richards be ready on Opening Day or shortly thereafter? 2. Does CJ suck as bad as he looked?

That's a heck of a lot more certainty than last year.

I don't agree that it has more question marks. Last year we went into spring training with Blanton still on the team and an option. Last year we were going in with two starters that had success at the major league level, Wilson and Weaver. This year we are going into the season with Weaver, Shoemaker, Richards (when he comes back), with Santiago, Tropeano, Ramos, and Rasmus. All that and we still haven't seen any of the free agent pitchers sing a contract yet. Granted we don't know when Richards will come back, but hell last year we didn't even know if he was a good major league pitcher. We found out he was a great starting pitcher. Wilson is the big question mark and I have no defense for him. He could be a solid starting pitcher that walks to many but gets you six innings, or he could be the complete joke that he was most of this past season, I have no idea. Last year we didn't know if Shoemaker had the stuff to be a major league starter. This year, he may not be what he was last year, but at least we know the potential is there for a solid 3-5 starter even if he regresses. I am not saying we have no question marks, but I will say we have more quality major league depth going into this year.

yup, all of this. In fact, I was leading the charge last spring in saying that the starting rotation was full of huge question marks. Even though I still think there is work to be done, I already feel more confident in next year's staff than I did going into last year.

I don't consider Rasmus as SP depth. And Ramos is debatable as he has made just 10 MLB starts in his entire career (and he has been pretty bad as a starter). Richards could very well miss the first 1-2 months of the season, and how effective will he be when he comes back?

Last offseason we had no idea if Weav's body was breaking down or what effect the drop in velo would have on his results. There were also questions regarding his new old arm angle.

Tyler Skaggs was expected to be bounced between AAA and the majors.

Garrett Richards was a question mark as a 5th starter.

There were serious questions as to Santiago remaining in the rotation.

And you think there are more questions now? We have only two minor concerns: 1. Will Richards be ready on Opening Day or shortly thereafter? 2. Does CJ suck as bad as he looked?

That's a heck of a lot more certainty than last year.

1. Weaver is another year older and last year was his worst full season since 2009 before his breakout year in 2010. He is basically a good number 3 pitcher at this point.

2. Tyler Skaggs is missing the entire season so he is a moot point now.

3. Richards is still a question mark because of his health. Even when he returns, you are assuming he will pick up exactly where he left off.

4. There are still question marks about Santiago remaining in the rotation. Except now he pretty much HAS to be in the rotation.

5. CJ Wilson was a "sure thing" last year. This year he is anything but.

I think you are way too overconfident in what we have. If CJ Wilson sucks and Richards can't get healthy we could have serious problems. All because "they have the depth they need now".

I don't consider Rasmus as SP depth. And Ramos is debatable as he has made just 10 MLB starts in his entire career (and he has been pretty bad as a starter). Richards could very well miss the first 1-2 months of the season, and how effective will he be when he comes back?

1. Weaver is another year older and last year was his worst full season since 2009 before his breakout year in 2010. He is basically a good number 3 pitcher at this point.

3. Richards is still a question mark because of his health. Even when he returns, you are assuming he will pick up exactly where he left off.

4. There are still question marks about Santiago remaining in the rotation. Except now he pretty much HAS to be in the rotation.

I think you are way too overconfident in what we have. If CJ Wilson sucks and Richards can't get healthy we could have serious problems. All because "they have the depth they need now".

1. Weav sounding like a #3 starter isn't a question, it's a fact.

2. You're questioning whether Richards will have the same stuff despite rehabbing from a non-arm related injury? That's just looking for things to freak out over.

3. Santiago has posted two consecutive seasons with an ERA under 4, is in his physical prime, experienced no loss in velocity and has a low impact delivery. He's about as far from a question mark as you can be right now. We know exactly who Hector is, and who he isn't. He's a #4 starter. Better than a #5, but not consistent enough to be a #3.

4. We agree on CJ.

So even if we pretend CJ is toast (I call it 50/50) the Angels still line up as Weav, Richards, Shoe, Santiago and Tropeano.

If you want to be pessimistic then go ahead and pretend Richards isn't ready in time, fine. Weav, Shoe, Santiago, Tropeano and Rasmus which is incredibly solid when you consider that's assuming their ace, #2 and #4 starters are out. Do other teams have that depth? Not many.

Worried about future depth? Richards, Shoe, Skaggs, Santiago, Tropeano, Rasmus, Newcomb, Ricardo Sanchez, Nate Smith and Tyler DeLoach.

I'm confident that in that group of 10 pitchers, they'll be able to scrape together 5 good ones. Depth is our friend. What we need to ensure is quality.

1. Weav sounding like a #3 starter isn't a question, it's a fact.

2. You're questioning whether Richards will have the same stuff despite rehabbing from a non-arm related injury? That's just looking for things to freak out over.

3. Santiago has posted two consecutive seasons with an ERA under 4, is in his physical prime, experienced no loss in velocity and has a low impact delivery. He's about as far from a question mark as you can be right now. We know exactly who Hector is, and who he isn't. He's a #4 starter. Better than a #5, but not consistent enough to be a #3.

4. We agree on CJ.

So even if we pretend CJ is toast (I call it 50/50) the Angels still line up as Weav, Richards, Shoe, Santiago and Tropeano.

If you want to be pessimistic then go ahead and pretend Richards isn't ready in time, fine. Weav, Shoe, Santiago, Tropeano and Rasmus which is incredibly solid when you consider that's assuming their ace, #2 and #4 starters are out. Do other teams have that depth? Not many.

Worried about future depth? Richards, Shoe, Skaggs, Santiago, Tropeano, Rasmus, Newcomb, Ricardo Sanchez, Nate Smith and Tyler DeLoach.

I'm confident that in that group of 10 pitchers, they'll be able to scrape together 5 good ones. Depth is our friend. What we need to ensure is quality.

I assume you understand how big a role legs play when it comes to pitchers? If his landing leg isn't 100% wouldn't it stand to reason that he himself wouldn't be 100%? He will be forced to change his mechanics which in turn could have a serious effect on his stuff.

I'm not assuming Richards will still have health issues, nor am I assuming that he won't be effective. I'm just saying that the Angels FO shouldn't assume that he will be 100% and a lock for picking up right where he left off. Which is why I think they should get another starter on a 1 year deal.

And your point about quality over quantity I agree with. It seems we simply disagree about what is quality. I like Rasmus, but does he really count as SP depth? When was the last time he threw more than 5 innings in a single appearance? 2011? I think he could eventually be stretched out but I'm not sure he can just come out and immediately throw 5-6 innings without possibly hurting himself. I'd rather keep him as the long man in the pen and only start him in emergencies. Same with Ramos.

Santiago still hasn't pitched over 160 innings yet.  

He's a solid #5 for 2015, but still needs to build up more durability to advance to a #4 spot.

2015 rotation by May:  Weave (until GRich back to 100%), GRich, Shoe, Nibs, and Santiago

Tropeano can fill in until GRich is ready.

It's up to you Nibs, to pitch like the April-June 2012, 2013, and April-May 2014 CJ Wilson...and NOT the July-Sept 2012 and June-Sept 2014 Nibs!

Edited by Angel Oracle

Not to mention that Richards might be due for some regression, even if he comes back 100%.

If this year taught us anything, it's that lack of starting pitching depth WILL expose us. What if Skaggs & Richards had been injured in, say, May?