• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kendrick or Freese likely to be traded

HBMike

Don't we pretty much trade Kendrick every offseason and again before every trade deadline. He will be in our Opening Day lineup next season just like he always has.

Seems like people mentally work out deals every year for him, and every year they don't happen. Dipoto tried to trade him to the White Sox for Santiago straight up, which should give everyone an idea of the type of starter we could expect in return if we deal him. I can't see trading a middle infield starter for a #4 or #5 guy for the rotation, which is essentially what we would be doing.

Seems like people mentally work out deals every year for him, and every year they don't happen. Dipoto tried to trade him to the White Sox for Santiago straight up, which should give everyone an idea of the type of starter we could expect in return if we deal him. I can't see trading a middle infield starter for a #4 or #5 guy for the rotation, which is essentially what we would be doing.

You mean Quintana, not Santiago

You're both right. Santiago and Quintana's names came up. The White Sox needed a leadoff hitting OF and were probably interested in Bourjos before he was dealt.

If the Angels are around 8.5 short of the luxury tax, reading Kendrick would put them 18 short. I could see them packaging Cron and Kendrick together to get a mid rotation SP that's still cheap and then signing Billy Butler to play DH/1B.

You're both right. Santiago and Quintana's names came up. The White Sox needed a leadoff hitting OF and were probably interested in Bourjos before he was dealt.

If the Angels are around 8.5 short of the luxury tax, reading Kendrick would put them 18 short. I could see them packaging Cron and Kendrick together to get a mid rotation SP that's still cheap and then signing Billy Butler to play DH/1B.

A package of Cron and Kendrick would be the perfect fit for the Blue Jays.

The 2b FA market is awful this year so it makes Kendrick's trade value that much higher.  That said, Howie is arguably our second most valuable position player at this point.  Are we going to get enough value in return to replace the downgrade at 2b?  Even if it's equal, then what have we bought ourselves?  

Freese is a poor defender that doesn't make up for it with his offense.  If he can get you anything significant in return, then he'd be the guy I'd move.  

But I wouldn't move either just to do it.  

Kendrick cannot be replaced by a combo of Green and Beckham - Green can't field and Beckham can't hit. He's cheap, productive and versatile (can also play 1B/OF). I don't trade him...

Freese is fool's gold...he can't stay healthy and needs a defensive caddy. He's a big reason we carried an offensive liability like McDonald all season. Keep him on one year deals until something better comes along. As for a trade, he has no value.

That's exactly where I stand. They may have more 2B options on the team than they do 3B options...but it doesn't mean they are good options. Going from Kendrick to Green or Beckham would be a huge downgrade

I'd say Freese has no trade value, but I didn't think they'd get the haul they did for Trumbo. 3B IS pretty weak around MLB, so who knows...though I'm not counting on them getting much. I mean, they gave up a backup OFer to acquire him, so what kind of pitcher do they think they can get for him, really?

You can blast Freese all you want, but the reality is that the 3B position is actually quite thin in MLB
Among qulified 3b in MLB last year Freese actually placed 16th on WAR.. not awesome mind you but it doies suggest that he would be an upgrade to roughly half the league.
The better question is what would we do to replace him... were not exactly deep there ourselves unless your going to go sign Sandoval or some other FA.
I think it far more likely we move Howie simply because he is largely replaceable to us. should have far more value being as he was in the top 5 for qualified 2B in WAR, and should get a better return.

I think id be having that conversation with the Nets first and foremost and see where that goes...

I still feel like Grant Green is being sold short here by fans. I've watched him enough at SS that I can tell you he's a viable option there in the same way Freese is a viable option at 3B. Green's no Aybar in the field (who is?) but then again how many infield prospects can hit like Green?

As for whether or not he can play 2B, just give him time. He has the glove, range and arm to be a very good MLB 2B. He just doesn't have the experience or instincts. But with time, it may become second nature for him.

Will he be as good as Kendrick overall? Not sure, but It may be close. His defense won't match Howie (not many do) but his offense will either match or exceed Howie's.

Worst case scenario, Kendrick is traded and Green is barely good enough to hold it down until Alex Yarbrough arrives late next year. Best case scenario, Green gets comfortable enough at 2B that he earns a full time gig there and we figure out what to do with Yarbrough later.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

You can blast Freese all you want, but the reality is that the 3B position is actually quite thin in MLB

Among qulified 3b in MLB last year Freese actually placed 16th on WAR.. not awesome mind you but it doies suggest that he would be an upgrade to roughly half the league.

The better question is what would we do to replace him... were not exactly deep there ourselves unless your going to go sign Sandoval or some other FA.

I think it far more likely we move Howie simply because he is largely replaceable to us. should have far more value being as he was in the top 5 for qualified 2B in WAR, and should get a better return.

I think id be having that conversation with the Nets first and foremost and see where that goes...

When I read your posts, sometime I feel like Frank the Tank after taking a tranquilizer dart to the jugular.  

You're crazy.  I like you man, but you're crazy.   :) 

The league is very thin at 3b yet our guy still ended up 16th among qualified leaders.  Several teams don't have a qualified player at the position so if you take all comers, Freese is 20th.  The halos were 21st in WAR as a team at the position.  You wouldn't upgrade hardly anyone, because a weak platoon gave several other teams as much production at a fraction of the cost.  

I have a hard time saying that a guy who put up almost 5 WAR last year is largely replaceable more so than a 2 WAR player.  But I am working under the assumption than Green can be as capable at 3b as he can at second.   

To me, it's a no brainer unless someone knocks your socks off to get Howie.  If you are trying to shed some payroll, Freese is the guy to go. You don't need Pablo Sandoval to replace him.  To me, Howie is a guy you move at the deadline if you are out of it.   

Howie was a 4.6 WAR 2B last year. I am extremely hesitant to trade him unless we're getting Doug Fister back, whose also a FA after next year and is a similarly valued player. 

Freese makes more sense but what can you expect to return? The guy was a non tender candidate after the 2013 season and was about a leaguer average player last year. He's also a FA after next year. 

I get the need for pitching and we absolutely need 1 more starter. Trading Howie just doesn't seem smart, however, since you're just creating another hole. I would much rather see the team go sign McCarthy or a guy like Jake Peavy and keep the current team intact. 

If Howie or Freese is traded, a guy who could be traded for separately could be Luis Valbuena. Posted a 2.7 WAR as a 2B/3B for the Cubs and can provide decent defense, a good OBP, pretty good pop and can really hit right handers well. 

In fact, it would be cool to keep Howie and Freese AND also acquire Valbuena. He would be a nice utility player and you could match him up well. 

well, trading Freese to free up some salary space makes some sense.......but the reality is the Halos won't get be able to free up all that much space because if Freese is to be moved, the Halos would probably have to agree to take on about half of his 2015 contract salary amount........

Freese came on late in the season and was one of the few guys who hit half way decent in the playoffs (or at least didn't look bad at the plate when not getting a hit).  But his early season offense was poor and I'm not sold on his defense at 3B....poor range and not a great glove.........he did make some good play but overall, he's a guy who needs to be replaced by a late inning defensive fielder after the 7th inning.........and Freese seems to be not only slow and slow on the base-paths but in addition to, does not seem to be a very good base-runner ------- I mean, you have a player who is not a speedster, who may not have much speed on the base-paths but whose baseball instincts make him a good base-runner.........Freese is slow AND does not seem to have any baseball base running instincts..........as a number 6 hitter he turns into Mr. GIDP.