• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Angels aim to add the right pieces in free agency

Why would we expect major changes from a team that had the best record in baseball?
There are opportunities, and some needs especially while 2 good arms are on the mend, but i dont expect much

For me the list start with three things...
another starter to bridge the gap, nothing from the tier one guys

lh reliever to solidify the pen

legit DH

Why would we expect major changes from a team that had the best record in baseball?

Because having the best record in baseball is meaningless if you are going to be swept out of the playoffs by a wild card team...

I don't know why this article is talking about starting pitching. Both Richards and Shoemaker will be back with Weaver. They need to focus on help for that garbage bullpen and guys who can make contact and get timely hits. 

Edited by MBell

Because having the best record in baseball is meaningless if you are going to be swept out of the playoffs by a wild card team...

I don't know why this article is talking about starting pitching. Both Richards and Shoemaker will be back with Weaver. They need to focus on help for that garbage bullpen and guys who can make contact and get timely hits.

Richards will be back when? And how effective will he be? Then they have Wilson who could very well be done as a starter if we see the same shit from him. Santiago is a good number 5. And then what? Do we want Wade LeBlanc making more starts when someone goes down with an injury?

They absolutely need starting pitching. Ideally they get a reliable back end starter and a decent prospect for depth.

Also what do you mean "garbage bullpen"? The pen was outstanding once Frieri was traded. They hit a rough patch at the end but that will happen when you have a bullpen game every 5th day and another starter who basically averaged 4 innings a start in the second half. Nothing wrong with bolstering the pen but no need to go overboard.

Also I believe Ibanez was brought in to "get timely hits" and we saw how that worked out. You can't just sign guys because they are "clutch". Then you have a team full of Freeses.

The bullpen had a lot of talent but they got tired near the end of the year because they pitched more innings than any other team post all star break by a huge margin. Know why? Because we didn't re-sign Vargas (or replace him with a comparable starter) so we were forced to have the bullpen pitch every 5th day to make up for our lack of pitching depth.  The main flaw in our roster was and still is not enough starters. Injuries to 2 starting pitchers over the course should be all but expected nowadays, the face we didn't plan ahead was a major oversight.

Richards will be back when? And how effective will he be? Then they have Wilson who could very well be done as a starter if we see the same shit from him. Santiago is a good number 5. And then what? Do we want Wade LeBlanc making more starts when someone goes down with an injury?

They absolutely need starting pitching. Ideally they get a reliable back end starter and a decent prospect for depth.

Also what do you mean "garbage bullpen"? The pen was outstanding once Frieri was traded. They hit a rough patch at the end but that will happen when you have a bullpen game every 5th day and another starter who basically averaged 4 innings a start in the second half. Nothing wrong with bolstering the pen but no need to go overboard.

Also I believe Ibanez was brought in to "get timely hits" and we saw how that worked out. You can't just sign guys because they are "clutch". Then you have a team full of Freeses.

On the opposite extreme you might have a team full of Kershaws and Trouts  :(

You try and get the absolute best starting pitcher(s) you can get. None of this "back end" or "No. 4 or 5 guy." Get another ace. 

If Arte is serious about winning while the windows is open, we need an ace and a #4 or #5 guy. If we try to phone it in and stay under the cap best we can do is sign two #4 or #5 guys.

Edited by ScottLux

What I don't understand is why, with salaries increasing, the "cap" doesn't.  It seems that each year salaries go up, arbitraiton goes up, major league minimums rise.  Seems like, given enough time, everyone will get close to that limit.

Do I understand this correctly?

I found one article which makes a very intersting point: http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/12/30/5253168/why-the-mlb-luxury-tax-matters-more-than-you-think

The tax itself is pretty minor. 17.5% surcharge on any payroll dollars above $189M for teams who owe the tax for the first time, and that progressively increases to 50% if you're above the tax for three or more consecutive years. Being over by a small amount even for consecutive years isn't too much money. The problem is, as that article above points out, if teams are over for multiple consecutive years they actually forfeit their refund on money paid into the revenue sharing pool. That's essentially the equivalent of a $30M/year fine on top of a 50% tax on payroll above $189M. That means if you're going to be over you better make d#mn sure you don't stay over for multiple years.

Edited by ScottLux

Hamilton, Ibanez, Conger, Stewart all tried and failed so in the end the only thing close to lefty power was our leadoff hitter. This has to change somehow. 

Same premise in the pen. There needs to be a lefty partner for Jepsen to erase the inherited runners in the 6th and 7th innings.

With the Yankees, Red Sox, Tiger, and Dogs all looking for SP it's a good bet that the big 3 get way overpriced. Probably better to start at the next tier and work from there so we don't end up wasting a whole off season waiting for nothing. 

The team has kinda backed itself into a corner. They can't afford to get a new "Big Splash" and their three current big splashes Wilson, Hamilton and Pujols are already non-productive.

I think Arte has learned a good lesson. Stick with youthful players and build from within or minor deals.

Those 98 wins came from Trout, Shoemaker, Richards, Aybar, Kendrick, Weaver, Skaggs, Calhoun, Morin and some of the minor bullpen deals. Hamilton, Wilson and Pujols weren't much help.

Edited by CALZONE

About signing yet another big money age 30+ FA....have we not learned our lesson yet?

Either that or get better big league scouts so that guys like Hackilton aren't signed anymore and guys like Wells aren't traded for.

Do we even utilize due diligence?

Pujols can't even crack an .800 OPS any more.

Edited by Angel Oracle

You can't seriously think Pujols wasn't much help. Your broader point really suffers when you go out of your way to take a shot like that.

Albert Pujols 2014 RISP .256 / .739ops

Albert Pujols 2010 RISP .343 / 1.170ops

He gets paid a lot of money and he should be performing at a much higher level. Don't think for a minute that Arte wasn't expecting more from Pujols.

Albert Pujols 2014 RISP .256 / .739ops

Albert Pujols 2010 RISP .343 / 1.170ops

He gets paid a lot of money and he should be performing at a much higher level. Don't think for a minute that Arte wasn't expecting more from Pujols.

That's not what you said before. You said he was of no help even though he was the second most productive position player from start to finish.

I keep reading this. What at all does it matter that KC was a wild card team? So were we in 2002...so were the giants this year....is the trophy different?

Those 98 wins came from Trout, Shoemaker, Richards, Aybar, Kendrick, Weaver, Skaggs, Calhoun, Morin and some of the minor bullpen deals. Hamilton, Wilson and Pujols weren't much help.

Disagree on Pujols....he wasn't/isn't vintage Pujols but 30 Homers and 100 ribbies isn't bad at all....Wilson was pretty good until June, awful thereafter....Hamilton is just bad....

Hamilton was playing hurt ... get off his *ss! I know you guys are butt hurt, as am I, but let's wait until next season before you declare him dead.

I've hit my fandom with defibrillator paddles on his behalf more than I care to recall at this point.  How about he actually earns our support instead of it being a default that he gets it automatically because of what he's done with another team?  

Why does it matter anyway? He doesn't play for the fans.  

I have no patience for Hammy. He has done nothing to deserve our suppport. There is definitely a need for a left handed bat to DH and play some OF-IB. Another need is a utility INF. who can play SS. Should be able to find a lefty reliever for a cheap one year deal, as long it is not Thatcher. This team is razor thin and will not be able ro absorb any major injuries. If trades are made I would like to see young, controllable players in return. I agree that it is much better to build from within.

Edited by TroutCron