• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Playing devil's advocate, should we have spent more on pitching?

Hey guys, been out of town for a few days but something was on my mind watching the Rangers series. This lineup is absolutely stacked although not exactly playing like it, should we have spent more money on pitching as opposed to Pujols and Hamilton? I'm a fan of both guys and am happy to have them but I cannot help but wonder how the team would look if the $50 mil/year would have be spent a another higher profile starting pitcher and keeping Torii.

I understand the team couldn't have ever known that Trout would become what he did but I am truly concerned about our pitching. Weaver and CJ just don't look right and 3-5 are hardly reliable. I'm sure I'll shut up when we start crushing the ball but for now, this doesn't look like a World Series pitching staff. If Weaver goes on the DL, it won't be pretty for us.

Am I overreacting to the bad start? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I agree that keeping Torii and not going after Hamilton would have been preferable. It would have allowed us to go after some better pitchers, should they become available. Hamilton is a gifted player, bur very inconsistent (streaky).

We would have liked

Marcum...think he has neck nerve damage?

Haren and Santana knocked around

McCarthy 10.80 era (1start)

Scott Baker on the DL

Greinke as advertised against Pitt, but at that price idk

Saunders didnt impress me against Oakland

Dickey maybe a 1 yr wonder?

Yes its "still early"

Just to name a few

Hey guys, been out of town for a few days but something was on my mind watching the Rangers series. This lineup is absolutely stacked although not exactly playing like it, should we have spent more money on pitching as opposed to Pujols and Hamilton? I'm a fan of both guys and am happy to have them but I cannot help but wonder how the team would look if the $50 mil/year would have be spent a another higher profile starting pitcher and keeping Torii.

I understand the team couldn't have ever known that Trout would become what he did but I am truly concerned about our pitching. Weaver and CJ just don't look right and 3-5 are hardly reliable. I'm sure I'll shut up when we start crushing the ball but for now, this doesn't look like a World Series pitching staff. If Weaver goes on the DL, it won't be pretty for us.

Am I overreacting to the bad start? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Had we spent 50 million on a pitcher, the would be Ace would blow his elbow out....that is the Angels luck right now!

The Angels lack of concentration on their biggest projected weakness (by everyone) heading into the off-season was disconcerting, at best.  Now, well, you reap what you sew.  The Angels ignored their rotation and now look at where they are.  The starting rotation is not going to make anyone tremble, nor is there a pitcher that other clubs will look at the upcoming schedule and be thankful they are just missing.  Weav was that guy, and now that guy is gone.  No disrespect to the other pitchers, but Weav was by far the best pitcher on the team.  Period.

Even though Weaver is now out, I was concerned about depth before this. I like the guys DiPoto brought in, thought Hanson and Vargas trades were really great.

Yet I really wanted to bring Haren or Santana back, not both, just one. I think they could've gotten Santana back for what they spent on Blanton or a few million more. Haren possibly could have been brought back for what they paid in his buyout, plus Blanton's contract, plus maybe 5 M more. He'd likely have signed for 2-24 with an option for three years. They spent 18.5 on Blanton and Haren's buyout. 10 M this year (same), 12 M next with a 2 M buyout.

I know Santana and Haren both got lit up in their first starts, but Santana and Haren were both dominant on occasion with us, and I doubt Blanton will ever be that.

The Angels lack of concentration on their biggest projected weakness (by everyone) heading into the off-season was disconcerting, at best.  Now, well, you reap what you sew.  The Angels ignored their rotation and now look at where they are.  The starting rotation is not going to make anyone tremble, nor is there a pitcher that other clubs will look at the upcoming schedule and be thankful they are just missing.  Weav was that guy, and now that guy is gone.  No disrespect to the other pitchers, but Weav was by far the best pitcher on the team.  Period.

The Angels spent more on new acquisitions for pitching than any other department this off season.

I think so, yes.

The strategy of blowing the offseason budget on a bat after finishing the season with one of the best offenses in baseball while trying to get by with a patchwork rotation was pretty risky, especially with the total lack of starting pitching depth on the farm(which is even worse now because the team's best pitching prospect is a reliever).

The Dropoff from Greinke to the next best pitcher was very severe in the FA market.  The other factor being we don't have the trade chips to acquire a 1-3 type pitcher.  Dipoto did the right thing.  Shored up 4-5 pitching, and went after Greinke.  When he didn't sign, then changed the strategy and went for hitting.  By the time Greinke was signed, the traitor Torii already signed with the Tigers.  So he wasn't an option.  

Grienke is costing the Dodgers $19 million this season and $26 million next. Hamilton is costing the Angels $17.4 this year and next. So if the Angels picked up Grienke they would have less money for the bullpen and even far less the following season.

Last years bullpen was one of the worst in the majors and was not improving by bringing in the AAA kids this season.

Grienke is costing the Dodgers $19 million this season and $26 million next. Hamilton is costing the Angels $17.4 this year and next. So if the Angels picked up Grienke they would have less money for the bullpen and even far less the following season.

Last years bullpen was one of the worst in the majors and was not improving by bringing in the AAA kids this season.

But Greinke is a better player than Hamilton and would have addressed the Angels' biggest weakness instead of adding on to the team's strength.

Or they could have signed Anibal Sanchez, Edwin Jackson, Ryan Dempster, etc. and not only shored up that weakness but saved their 1st round draft pick.

Well, we went after Greinke so I'm not sure what else we could do. I think DiPoto made sure he shored up pitching after letting go Haren and Santana. We need the guys to do their jobs, mostly hitters. I see no reason why the Weaver injury, seeing the teams we're up against during his slots, should impact us that much. So this long answer is no.

But Greinke is a better player than Hamilton and would have addressed the Angels' biggest weakness instead of adding on to the team's strength.

Or they could have signed Anibal Sanchez, Edwin Jackson, Ryan Dempster, etc. and not only shored up that weakness but saved their 1st round draft pick.

Jackson and Dempster wouldn't have shored up anything