• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

World Series Format

OregonLAA

I must say that I was very against the Giants winning last night so I am bias, but personally I don't like how the World Series works. The season is a marathon where you need all 25 players and every bullpen arm and every starter counts. Kershaw and Bum don't get 50% of the innings over the course of a year. That would be crazy.

So why after 162 games, do we change how baseball is played. When the games matter most, now a complete team doesn't matter? One of my biggest beefs with the NBA is that 1 player has too big of an impact for a team. It's the least team game in all of sports. But here we are with Bumgarner being the guy who completely trumped the Royals. Pence and Panda had a nice series too, but that's it. Don't get me wrong, what Bum did was amazing and deserves a lot of credit. I just don't like that 1 guy won that championship for them. Without him, the Royals might win that series in 5 games.

So maybe we get rid of travel days?

The starters going 2 innings is absurd too. I don't know. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that way

Reduce the regular season to 150 games, make the wildcard 5 games, make the DS 7 games, boom.

5 games would be too long of a break for the teams getting a bye straight to the division round. Make the wild card a best of three, all three at the home park of the top seed, then make the division series a best of 7. In that event the delay for the division winners is no longer than the delay between a 4- or 5- game series and the start of the next round of the playoff.

They could lower regular season back to 154 games (what it used to be until the '60s), or they could trim a couple games from spring training and add a couple doubleheaders back into the regular season and still finish everything by the same time of year without having to reduce the length of the season (team owners aren't going to want to do that, spring training venues likely have less leverage in that regard)

The regular season needs to be a lot closer to a balanced schedule, though. Right now teams play 19 games against division rivals and only 6-7 games each against all other teams in the league. That should be more like 13 and 9, respectively. A completely balanced schedule would be tough for travel but what we have now is way too lopsided.

So maybe we get rid of travel days?

The travel days in the playoffs are there so that in case there's a rain out, they can seamlessly schedule a makeup game without having to delay every remaining game in the series (or delay the start of the next series)

Edited by ScottLux

I don't know how you could possibly do that, especially when you have teams on opposite coasts facing each other. A night game in, say, Seattle followed by a game in New York the next night? Logistically I don't see how it could work.

this. you have to plan on worst case scenario, two teams on opposite sides of the country playing each other. Even in the regular season you usually get more than 24 hours to go across the country. Also, yes, the teams can take charter flights, but what about the thousands of media that also have to travel? It's just not logistically very practical.

They've eliminated the off-days when staying in the same city (remember in '09 when the Angels got ****ed by having to face Sabathia like 3 times in 6 games?), which is good. 

I don't know how you could possibly do that, especially when you have teams on opposite coasts facing each other. A night game in, say, Seattle followed by a game in New York the next night? Logistically I don't see how it could work.

Me neither.

Logistically, there's no way the Mets could ever make the World Series.

It should be 2-2-1-1-1 not this 2-3-2 bullshit.

You bring up a good point about homefield advantage. Now that Selig is gone we absolutely have to get rid of the All Star Game determining home field advantage.

2-2-1-1-1 would be tough for a sport like baseball where rain-outs are a possiblility. You'd have to put travel days after games 4, 5 and 6 to prevent a scenario where a home elimination game get postponed and you can't make it up before the start of the next scheduled away game.