• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you have sent Gordon?

red321

The base coach made the right call absolutely, but it is interesting to actually ponder the odds. Was there a better chance...

a. a disheveled Giants defense pulls it together and Crawford makes a good throw to Posey

b. Perez gets a hit or Bumgarner throws a wild pitch

Scenario A had about a 90% chance of happening.

What about scenario B's chances? Less than 10%? Doubtful.

No way.

Dude was at 3rd when it hit the cutout, Brandon Crawford could have beaten him home and tagged him out himself.

I think they were happy to get the two extra bases as is, no way do you send him home and just pray for a bad throw.

Fun to ponder though.

Edited by mrwicked

I don't know the job of a 3rd base coach? Do they have to have that scenario running in their mind before it happens? If so, he has to take into account the fact that they did absolutely nothing against Bumgarner that entire series and they should have sent him. More than likely, he is out, but still a better chance than getting a hit off Bum there.

Posey probably would have went and hid anyways since he is scared to block the plate now. I bet if that ball short hops Posey, it gets by him and Gordon scores. I really wish we would have found out

I would have waved him around third and taken my chances the way the Giants were kicking the ball around in the outfield. It's not like KC had loads of scoring chances (or hits), and the chances of SF making a perfect throw on that play would have been slim.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

No way.

Dude was at 3rd when it hit the cutout, Brandon Crawford could have beaten him home and tagged him out himself.

I think they were happy to get the two extra bases as is, no way do you send him home and just pray for a bad throw.

Fun to ponder though.

Agree, they did well to have the runner on third base.

I would have waved him around third and taken my chances the way the Giants were kicking the ball around in the outfield. It's not like KC had loads of scoring chances (or hits), and the chances of SF making a perfect throw on that play would have been slim.

They wouldn't have needed a perfect throw, crawford could have lobbed the ball to posey and probably still got him out.

I feel like many posters on this board could make that throw

I don't know the job of a 3rd base coach? Do they have to have that scenario running in their mind before it happens? If so, he has to take into account the fact that they did absolutely nothing against Bumgarner that entire series and they should have sent him. More than likely, he is out, but still a better chance than getting a hit off Bum there.

Posey probably would have went and hid anyways since he is scared to block the plate now. I bet if that ball short hops Posey, it gets by him and Gordon scores. I really wish we would have found out

If there's one or no outs, maybe, but you don't risk making the last out of the game on a Hail Mary like that when a bloop single or wild pitch ties the game. Even a suicide squeeze 

Edited by ScottLux

The third out wouldn't happen at home, it would be at first. As m0nkey said, there were two outs. There is no such thing as a suicide squeeze with two outs since it's a simple throw to first to end the Series. In essence, the question is "Should Perez with his sub-Benjie Molina speed have tried to bunt for a base hit?" I'm guessing no.

Nope. You never have your 3rd out come at home plate, especially in the WS 

The third out wouldn't happen at home, it would be at first. As m0nkey said, there were two outs. There is no such thing as a suicide squeeze with two outs since it's a simple throw to first to end the Series. In essence, the question is "Should Perez with his sub-Benjie Molina speed have tried to bunt for a base hit?" I'm guessing no.

MBell was referring to the original question, "do you send Gordon", not the follow question about bunts

This is just another reason that you run out of the box.

Hunter Pence is gangly and a little weird...but he ALWAYS runs hard. Even if he is on 3rd and Belt hits a 390 foot fly ball to deep center where the outfield catches it on his heels...he still runs hard (even though he doesn't have to).

IF Gordon ran hard AND they didn't have that wuss rule that you couldn't truck the catcher...than I definitely would have sent him.

Another thing I would have done is pinch run Gore, Dyson or Colon.

A wild pitch, passed ball... hell, the 'distraction' that any would actually try to steal home?! Wouldn't all that be somewhat beneficial?

Edited by DW711

Making the last out of Game 7 of the World Series at home plate trying to score from first would have led to a lot more second-guessing that NOT sending him.

with that being said, I might have sent him THIS YEAR because of the new 'no blocking the plate rule' -- this ill-conceived rule, ironically put into place because of play causing injury to Buster Posey two years back -- really gives the runner the advantage as the catcher can't block the plate in the manner we're all used to seeing........

so the catcher now has to be pretty much in front of the plate and the throw has to not only beat the runner and be an on line throw but the catcher now has to reach back to tag the sliding runner who is usually sliding on the far side of the plate with the arm / hand sticking out touching the plate...........this is a real difficult play for the catcher to make even on a perfect throw.

so the answer to the question is -- yeah, I might have sent him THIS YEAR with the NEW RULE but not in a similar situation in the past.

IMO, the new "NO BLOCKING THE PLATE" rule should be scrapped.......it's pretty much eliminated what used to be, perhaps, the most exciting play in baseball -- the throw to the plate to nab the sliding runner..........