• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's very difficult to determine the best song by The Who

For whatever reason, a lyric from "Tommy" just popped in my head.  "You had no reason to be over-optimistic.  But somehow when you smiled I could brave bad weather." 

Made me think of how wide ranging the band's catalogue is.  So many songs, so many different sounds.  I like so many of these songs.  I know the Rolling Stones get a lot of the '60s/'70s rock band glory, but The Who just seems so much better and varied.

Yesterday, I was thinking of "I Can See for Miles" and it stuck in my head.

I've always been partial to a few of the tunes from Quadrophenia such as "Sea and Sand" or "I'm One."  And "Dr. Jimmy" and "5:15" will make you either wanna get in a fight or go on a ten mile run.  Or both.

Then, out of the blue I heard "Don't Let Go the Coat" which is arranged so perfectly with the subtle use of the steal string guitar.  It's from the mostly forgotten Face Dances album.  

I betcha can't pick just one.

Great thread DR! It's true, the second I come to the conclusion that ________ is my favorite song, I think of another that I would consider my favorite song.

Maybe it has to do with they have so many different types of songs like you kind of pointed out that it depends on what kind of mood you are in.

I'll tell you one thing though, in my opinion there is no better live concert performance of all time than their Isle of Wight performance, and if someone were to ask me what my favorite t.v. performance of a band is, I'd probably have to say The Who on the Rock and Roll Circus doing "A Quick One..." So they sweep in those categories for me.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ss8xx_the-who-a-quick-one-while-he-s-away_music

(I wish I knew how to embed daily motion videos on here)

If you were to ask me though what Who song do I sing the most in my head, it would probably be Sally Simpson. The piano on that song is just so damn catchy.

These would NOT make my top three, but here's a few great ones:

Entwistle's:  My Wife  - from Who's Next.  Catchy, witty.. it is a great song.

"Had Enough" (written by Entwistle) - one of the last hard rock songs - a bit reminicsent of "515" or "Won't Get Fooled Again".... I really like it.

"Acid Queen" - I just love Townshend's singing voice.  It isn't great by any means, but so much character.  This is a great song.

These would NOT make my top three, but here's a few great ones:

Entwistle's:  My Wife  - from Who's Next.  Catchy, witty.. it is a great song.

"Had Enough" (written by Entwistle) - one of the last hard rock songs - a bit reminicsent of "515" or "Won't Get Fooled Again".... I really like it.

"Acid Queen" - I just love Townshend's singing voice.  It isn't great by any means, but so much character.  This is a great song.

I love the Tina Turner version in the movie.

There might have been a more bitter man than the mid 1970's Pete Townshend, but I am not sure anything more bitter came out in lyrics ("They're All in Love")

Hey, goodbye all you punks
Stay young and stay high
Hand me my checkbook
And I'll crawl out to die

But like a woman in childbirth
Grown ugly in a flash
I'm seen magic and fame
Now I'm recycling trash

Edited by yk9001