• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone else hear Harold Reynolds denounce the "Contact Play"?

JoJo26

When KC had runners on 2nd & 3rd...with Perez the catcher on 3rd...with one out...Reynolds mentioned he doesn't like the Contact Play in this one out situation. So when Escobar hits the ball to 1B, the runner on 3rd sticks...allowing the batter to reach first, because Belt hesitated.

Next batter gets a hit...and the Royals end up plating 7 runs...

Harold says by Perez NOT RUNNING on contact saved an out, and allowed an easy run on a bouncer over the Shortstops head...allowing a big time inning...

I wonder if The Mad Genius was watching???

Of course if the Giants werent expecting the contact play Belt wouldnt have messed it up so much.

Reynolds also said he doesn't like it with a slow runner on third. He's ok with it with other runners.

The contact play actually works a lot but no one ever notices when it works because it just looks like a run scoring on a grounder. I pointed out a lot of times this year when it did work, including sometimes when it forced errors by opponents.

Another issue is that teams expect the Angels to use it so much so they play the infield in more often to discourage/defend it and that ends up resulting in hits.

I don't think its always the right play. But I do the think the knee-jerk opposition to it misses it a lot of the nuances.

That is why some sacrifice bunts are such a terrible idea.  It becomes expected.  The defense cheats.  Your chances of getting a weak hit increase.   I think that happens more than them cheating to defend the "contact play".   The Angels are too predictable with this stuff, I think, but do teams really cheat on defense when the contact play might be on?  

I don't agree with using the contact play "no matter where" the ball is hit. But again maybe that isn't technically a contact play.

I think it's up to the runner after contact is made to decide if they're going to be a sitting duck, or if they actually have a shot at rushing the throw and making it home safe. I like aggressiveness and forcing the team to make a play sometimes, but when the guys out by 10+ feet, it really does seem like the Angels give up a lot of outs on things like this.

That is why some sacrifice bunts are such a terrible idea. It becomes expected. The defense cheats. Your chances of getting a weak hit increase. I think that happens more than them cheating to defend the "contact play". The Angels are too predictable with this stuff, I think, but do teams really cheat on defense when the contact play might be on?

Yes, they play in closer and more often.

If the next batter grounds onto a double play, there would be people screaming about why perez didnt score from the 3rd on the last play. Im not saying either side is right. But someone is always going to have a different opinion, and when something happens that works out that supports the opinion, they speak up

I don't hate on all these guys, I understand exactly what they are. They aren't hired to appeal to guys that spend hours a day on a baseball message board. We have a higher expectation of all these guys. I have a cool personal story involving Harold Reynolds, he was a real cool guy. The year he was on the Angels I was working at the INO in Santa Ana, and back then we weren't as busy. So after a game one night he drives thru and we were slow. So I say hey and we strike up a conversation and it's literally just him and me. I let him know I'm a big Angel fan. The next night he comes back in after the game and he hands me four tickets to a game. He was just incredibly talkative and real.

excellent. BSpn gets zero air time at my house. was this suit related to the sexual harassment allegations?

excellent. BSpn gets zero air time at my house. was this suit related to the sexual harassment allegations?

yes. They had agreed on a 6 yr $5million  contract and then handed him a letter that he was terminated "  for cause" but never stated the actual reason.  Turned out it was for sexual harassment - in this case, for hugging an intern.  Espn also refused to provide his personnel filw even though it's required under Connecticut law.