• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sweet strike three call to end the Rangers game

Then you obviously don't pay much attention to the baseball world outside of Fangraphs.  Try listening to MLBRadio this a.m. - its all they are talking about.  Listen to the radio replays by BOTH the Rags and TB broadcasters.  It was a HORRIBLE call.

I disagree, and it has nothing to do with reading Fangraphs or which team someone is a fan of. Brian, just because you're completely unable to get past your own bias doesn't mean others can't. I'm just expressing what I see, not what I want to see.

To be clear, I'm not saying it was a good call, just not as bad as people are making it out to be - and that's because of Pierzynski's handling which made it look much worse. It was actually a fantastic pitch with incredible break.

Ya baseball definitely doesn't need instant replays at all. Baseball is living in the 1800's. With calls like these, who wonders why baseball is losing a market share with people of all ages.

Kevin, I have to agree with you.  Ball/strike calls can be totally automated.  The ump could even be equipped with an earpiece to hear the computer tell him what to say. He can be there for the difficult calls, like dropped balls and tips and things, but for basic ball/strike calls there is no reason not to use technology.

I disagree, and it has nothing to do with reading Fangraphs or which team someone is a fan of. Brian, just because you're completely unable to get past your own bias doesn't mean others can't. I'm just expressing what I see, not what I want to see.

To be clear, I'm not saying it was a good call, just not as bad as people are making it out to be - and that's because of Pierzynski's handling which made it look much worse. It was actually a fantastic pitch with incredible break.

LOL - I am not the one being "biased" here.  You are one of only a handful of people (outside of Rag Fans) that have said it was even close.  YOU are in the minority AJ.  Not me, not MLBRadio, not the radio guys from both the Rags and TB, not Joe Nathan himself, not the umpire who blew the call.

I can say for a fact that none of the people posting hate for umpires in this thread has even attempted their job in any fashion, let alone upper-level baseball.

You people couldn't even umpire a decent Pinto game.

Hate mongers. 

I can say for a fact that none of the people posting hate for umpires in this thread has even attempted their job in any fashion, let alone upper-level baseball.

You people couldn't even umpire a decent Pinto game.

Hate mongers. 

Easy now.  I think "hate monger" is a little bit over the top. 

For years umpires have been the necessary evil in the game of baseball. Technology has advanced enough that their role can be lessened.... and should be.

At the very least, dolts like Marty Foster, Doug Eddings, Joe West, et al should be held accountable for their deplorable actions. If MLB or the Umpires Union can't do it, then expect the fans to do it, in a verbal way.

Ok, LAA, was it a strike? What is your professional opinion? Face it everybody the only reason we care about this is because it helps the Rangers. If this call went against the Rangers and the Rays had one, we would be laughing it off. I don't want electronic strike zone, I wouldn't mind expanded replays, but not to the extent of ruining the tradition or flow of a game.

Easy now.  I think "hate monger" is a little bit over the top. 

For years umpires have been the necessary evil in the game of baseball. Technology has advanced enough that their role can be lessened.... and should be.

At the very least, dolts like Marty Foster, Doug Eddings, Joe West, et al should be held accountable for their deplorable actions. If MLB or the Umpires Union can't do it, then expect the fans to do it, in a verbal way.

"deplorable actions"? You mean "calls you don't agree with"? 

Once again, have you ever umpired any kind of real baseball in your life? 

EDIT: Also, read the post I responded to above & quite a few others in this thread. "Hate mongers" beats any other obscenity that I would be justified in calling them. 

Ok, LAA, was it a strike? What is your professional opinion? Face it everybody the only reason we care about this is because it helps the Rangers. If this call went against the Rangers and the Rays had one, we would be laughing it off. I don't want electronic strike zone, I wouldn't mind expanded replays, but not to the extent of ruining the tradition or flow of a game.

Oh and to answer your question, it was a ball no doubt. I just think that the people screaming and crying about it or calling for his head don't actually realize how good these people are at their job. 

If you guys want to start arguing for K-Zone and what not, fine. Just don't go throwing hate out there for umpires that are doing a damn better job than you ever would. 

I'm speaking to the hate mongers of course. 

Pierzynski had no way to put lipstick on that pig.

LOL - I am not the one being "biased" here.  You are one of only a handful of people (outside of Rag Fans) that have said it was even close.  YOU are in the minority AJ.  Not me, not MLBRadio, not the radio guys from both the Rags and TB, not Joe Nathan himself, not the umpire who blew the call.

I stand by what I perceive based upon the footage and pictures that I've seen. Wrong call? Probably. A terrible one? No, at least not based upon the actual footage.

"deplorable actions"? You mean "calls you don't agree with"? 

Once again, have you ever umpired any kind of real baseball in your life? 

EDIT: Also, read the post I responded to above & quite a few others in this thread. "Hate mongers" beats any other obscenity that I would be justified in calling them. 

Sorry laagamer.  I mean deplorable actions... as Joe Maddon said last night, (paraphrase) "Calls like that should NEVER be made in MLB"

Yes - I have umpired little league... or would you like to call that "not real" baseball?

and "hate monger" is still way too strong of words to be directing at those fans who do not like the umps call.  As I said, Marty Foster is going to get a slap on the wrist, if that, since he admitted it was a bad call.  And in return they will put him on the playoff umpire roster or worse yet the WS roster.

Its bullshit. Look, If I open up the paper or read the highlights of ANY of last nights games and it mentions an umpire BY NAME, we have a problem.  The Game is not about the umpires.  Something that the umpires need to wake up and realize.

I stand by what I perceive based upon the footage and pictures that I've seen. Wrong call? Probably. A terrible one? No, at least not based upon the actual footage.

Thank God you are not an umpire.  I do hear the Umpires Union would like to speak to you though.

Geeeeez. It amazes me how deep some of your balls are in Fangraphs analysts. 

Also, I did some umpiring as well. In fact, I was just talking to a friend of mine, he umpires a fast pitch league and he said that was a TERRIBLE call and he's not even an Angels fan. 

Maybe he shouldn't be fired, but under review for one of THE worst strike three calls to end a game in the history of this sport. 

I'm an umpire & I find that offensive. 

Nobody's perfect and you want him fired over 1 blown strike call?

If I screwed up that badly on an account I managed at work, I WOULD BE FIRED. 

You're super sensitive if you find what I posted offensive. 

cry-baby-blog.jpg

Really, Chuck? Did you read my post? Evidently not. It has nothing to do with the article itself but the pictures. Relax.

OK then. But I did see the pictures too. It is where the ball crosses the plate, not where the picture was taken when the ball was in the middle of the plate. 

everything happened so quickly and people were focused on pierzynski's glove that they were certain it was a ball. like most, i thought it was an egregious error until i saw this:

NathanZobrist2.gif.opt_.gif

it appears to be borderline if not a strike and would have looked more like a strike in real time if pierzynski had kept his glove still.

it's like watching the zapruder film after the jfk assassination