• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

5 moves Angels can make to reach 2015 playoffs

70runner

Grilli can stay if he's cheap.

Josh can take a hike.

Kuroda could use a job somewhere else for the money he wants.

I'd love Arte to find an extra $40mil to spend (lol).

Another full year of Santiago in the rotation scares the sh*t out of me. Rasmus, not so much. 

I've never understood the logic behind moving Santiago to the pen....Guy can't throw strikes as a starter and that seems like a recipe for disaster in the pen.....same with CJ....I would offer Grilli a one year deal and if nobody offers him 2, he might take it...but I suspect they figure they have enough for the pen and they won't talk to him....

The post-steroid era is here so the older players such as Pujols and Hamilton will not be afforded the opportunity to recover from fatigue or injuries through artificial means like Bonds, Sosa and Big Mac did.

Those two guys are going to be at the heart of the order and they're declining more each season. Who would have imagined that those two would've only delivered a .790 and .745 ops when the were signed.

Arte has to be crushed about all of this because he knows that it's only the beginning and a matter of time when their wheels fall off for good. They need to make more than 5 moves to stay competitive. We did win 98 games this season but we also won 99 games in 2002 followed by a 77 win season in 2003.

Edited by CALZONE

Meh, I'd obviously love to see Hamilton moved, but that ain't happening. Kuroda's a bit too long in the tooth for me. Grilli doesn't make that much sense for a team who's worried about the tax threshold with only $9 million to spend. Give Grilli's spot to Pestano. The only things I agree with are 2 and 5. 

Agreed on giving Grilled Cheese's spot to Pestano, Roger Dorn is here to stay for at least one more season because how do you rid yourself efficiently of $90 million, Rasmus could be a lights out 8th inning guy like fellow former starter Wade Davis eventually, and hope Bedrock Jr. can replace Tossed Salad.

Street, Smith, Rasmus, Pestano, Morin, and Bedrock Jr. if command better (or maybe still Jepsen) makes for a real good set of righties.   

They still need a lefty big time.    Is it too risky to move Santiago into that role, and leave themselves a little shorthanded in the rotation?

Kuroda has been a mixed bag the past 2 seasons (good pre-2013 ASB, bad post-2013 ASB, bad pre-2014 ASB, good post-2014 ASB), and is 40.

Can he hold on for one more season?    That's all we need with Skaggs due back for ST 2016.

In any event, just say no to the waaay overpriced Scherzer, Lester, and Big Tank James Shields!  

Edited by Angel Oracle

Lester might be worth *somewhat* close to what he'll be paid. He'll probably maintain his current level of performance for another 3 years or so and should gradually decline after that. Even in 5 years, he'll still be a decent pitcher (think Weaver-like). This is due to the type of pitcher he is.

Lester might be worth *somewhat* close to what he'll be paid. He'll probably maintain his current level of performance for another 3 years or so and should gradually decline after that. Even in 5 years, he'll still be a decent pitcher (think Weaver-like). This is due to the type of pitcher he is.

Between the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgres all needing pitchers and having money, I wouldn't be surprised if Lester gets Kershaw-like money this offseason.

We realistically need two decent (but not premium) starting pitchers. We were very fortunate that doing all the bullpen starts actually worked out this year but that's definitely not something that can or should be counted on next year. Losing 1-2 starting pitchers to injury should be expected during the year and prepared for.

Edited by ScottLux

1. Get rid of "Buttercup" once and for all

2. Stay Healthy

3. Be Lucky

4. Throw Strikes

5. Hit 'Em Where They Ain't

6. Hire Joe Maddon or promote Dino Ebel to manager

7. "Promote" Scioscia to some made-up front office job

8. Win the World Series

What a dumb and lazily written article.

1. Kuroda toyed with the idea of retiring last season and considering it again this year. If he pitches again, it will be a qualifying offer from the Yanks. A guy thinking of retiring isn't going to leave an start with a new team.

2. Since 1 isn't happening, Santiago will stay as a SP. His numbers weren't that bad for a 4th starter compared to other teams. Most 4th/5th starters usually are on the cusp of the pen. But Hector can put together solid 5-6 inning of work.

3. So in a matter of 3 games in the postseason, his presence lowered the skills/talent of the entire team?! What a stupid assumption. Apparently this didn't happen at the beginning of the season or his time in Texas. We get it...Josh has been struggling. But he isn't the reason why the team slumped in the playoffs. Also doesn't give a solution to how the Angels could trade him.

4. Only thing that makes sense. Grilli was solid and should come back.

5. Arte has NOT made it clear he doesn't want to go over the luxury tax. In fact, he said the exact opposite during the last offseason. He will go over the threshold if he believes a player puts the team over the top.

What a dumb and lazily written article.

1. Kuroda toyed with the idea of retiring last season and considering it again this year. If he pitches again, it will be a qualifying offer from the Yanks. A guy thinking of retiring isn't going to leave an start with a new team.

2. Since 1 isn't happening, Santiago will stay as a SP. His numbers weren't that bad for a 4th starter compared to other teams. Most 4th/5th starters usually are on the cusp of the pen. But Hector can put together solid 5-6 inning of work.

3. So in a matter of 3 games in the postseason, his presence lowered the skills/talent of the entire team?! What a stupid assumption. Apparently this didn't happen at the beginning of the season or his time in Texas. We get it...Josh has been struggling. But he isn't the reason why the team slumped in the playoffs. Also doesn't give a solution to how the Angels could trade him.

4. Only thing that makes sense. Grilli was solid and should come back.

5. Arte has NOT made it clear he doesn't want to go over the luxury tax. In fact, he said the exact opposite during the last offseason. He will go over the threshold if he believes a player puts the team over the top.

Arte has NOT made it clear he doesn't want to go over the luxury tax. In fact, he said the exact opposite during the last offseason. He will go over the threshold if he believes a player puts the team over the top.

I think that Arte is going to hold the line. He's going to let Dipoto try to figure it out for one more season with the current budget. He picked up a one year option on Dipoto (no extension) while the doggies handed over a higher position to a much younger Andrew Friedman. I also think that Arte is going to focus on the off field issues involving the real estate. If the Angels have a down year next season like they did in 2003 Dipoto will be gone.