• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cardinals OF Oscar Taveras dies in a car accident

beatlesrule

I think as a whole, we are more numb to seeing the deaths of children in car accidents on the news...when stories like that are reported, it is a little 30 second spot on the news giving the report and details, and then on to the next story.

The same could be said for school shootings vs any other shooting.

I think it is more a shock factor. Just two weeks ago, this kid was playing in the MLB playoffs. Now he's dead. He would probably still be here had the Cards gone to the WS. Its just a major shock and the news media runs with it.

It can be anyone, not specifically children, or that 9-year-old. If this had been Oscar Tavares, 22 from Santa Ana killed on the 15 freeway coming home from Vegas, there wouldn't be the same sentiment. Anyone taken from earth before living life is tragic. Who knows what all of these young victims could have accomplished.

It can be anyone, not specifically children, or that 9-year-old. If this had been Oscar Tavares, 22 from Santa Ana killed on the 15 freeway coming home from Vegas, there wouldn't be the same sentiment. Anyone taken from earth before living life is tragic. Who knows what all of these young victims could have accomplished.

That is because no one knows who random guy from Santa Ana is nor has a connection in some way to him. You are finger wagging.

We all know who Oscar Tavares, 22, from the Dominican Republic, is.

We don't know random Oscar Tavares, 22, from Santa Ana. To those who know this random Oscar, their grief and sorrow are overwhelming and and those who know him or any other random death have my sympathy.

It's about scale. Because the one Oscar played baseball and hit a walk-off home run in the NLCS, we know who he is.

Each instance is tragic to those who know and love the victim. No more, no less. The world of baseball knew and loved Oscar Tavares, the baseball player. He wasn't loved and won't be missed more, he was loved and will be missed BY more.

Edited by Mark68

Sad to hear this -- Oscar Tavares was to play a more significant role in the Cards' plans in 2015......he was a top prospect who, I think, homered in his first game after being called up mid-season in 2014 -- he went on a bit of a short hitting streak (maybe not consecutive game stuff -- but hit well upon being called up) and then cooled off and got sent back out to AAA. Got called up before Sept. 1 and was on the NLDS and NLCS playoff roster and hit a key HR against the SF Giants in the NLCS.

A prior comment on this thread noted that road conditions and driving habits in that part of the world are quite different than what we're used to here (well, I can hear some folks saying nothing can be worse than driving on S. Cal freeways!) -- reports also indicate that weather conditions were poor -- raining and windy -- at the time of the accident.

This is a real tragedy -- Nick Adenhart and Ken Hubbs (Chicago Cubs rookie in 1964) names come to mind.

This Tavares kid, like those guys, had his whole life and MLB career ahead of him -- destined for good things only to have it all snuffed out in an instant.

sad. prayers to the family, friends and Cardinals organization.........

We were watching this kid give a pinch hit HR for the cards a little over a week ago and next thing you know, he's gone. Even if someone dies in a car crash and we hear a quick spot on the news, it's really sad but not something you grieve over as much.

Why? Most of us knew who Oscar Taveras was and some of us had our eye on him for a few years considering he was such a highly touted prospect. The fact that he suddenly died is a major shock which is something that makes the grieving process worse. Like Adenhart, we all knew he was gonna be a good player and now we'll never know on top of the fact that the world lost what seemed to be like another good person.

It's not that we don't care that a "9 year old dies in an accident", believe me, I do. It's that we had no connection to him in anyway and weren't expecting to even hear of him.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't see how you can even compare the two.

• 2 weeks later...

What a damn fool. I freaking knew it.

Screw his damn supposed career...my first reaction a few weeks back was... "Drunk? High? Both?". Why? Because that's usually the reason.

Five times the legal limit?!?!?

I'm truly sorry to everyone involved..especially Edilia Arvelo

Anybody can act all high and mighty like they've never made a mistake in their life. As an Angel fan, I would understand all the lack of sympathy now towards Tavares. It doesn't change the fact that it is still a tragedy, he died young and wasted a lot of potential, and he killed his 18 year old girlfriend. It is still a sad situation all around. It was a mistake that he can never change. 

Anybody can act all high and mighty like they've never made a mistake in their life. As an Angel fan, I would understand all the lack of sympathy now towards Tavares. It doesn't change the fact that it is still a tragedy, he died young and wasted a lot of potential, and he killed his 18 year old girlfriend. It is still a sad situation all around. It was a mistake that he can never change. 

so all bad decisions and poor choices are treated the same?  

He committed murder.  

I really hope a drunk driver wasn't involved like with Adenhart.  It's still incredibly sad though.

He was in the Dominican so who knows. They don't exactly have the highest quality roads there.

It could have been raining and slid off a cliff or something.

Or all of the above apparently.

5X is pretty absurd. What a waste.