• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ian Kennedy - A Prime Trade Candidate

Tyler

I'm not feeling this one. 

I don't see the halos giving up 2 everyday players that are young, club controlled and have a lot of potential unless it's for an elite starter and I don't consider kennedy elite.

Kennedy is going to make ~$4 mill this year, and is arb elgible in '14 and '15, FA in 16.  28 yrs old, who is usually around 8 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9, flyball pitcher (still pitching to angels strengths, even sans Bourjos), and is entering prime of his career. That's pretty good value, no?

Let's not forget about Cron to replace Trumbo in the future too.

I said it before and I 'll say it again, the Angels need to seriously give Garrett Richards a chance at breaking into this rotation.  If we like what's done in 1-2 inning spurts, wait till you see him do it for 6.  I honestly think he could be a solid #3 or #4 starter right now, if not better.   

Great in theory, but we apparently had to give Blanton an Abreu-esque contract. We can't give up on him now.

I wouldn't give up on Blanton just yet, or any of the starters.  But it looks like Weav might need some DL time for the non-throwing elbow, in which case I think Richards could come in for a few starts, show them he belongs and then once Weav is ready, if the other starters are still performing well, move Richards back to the pen.  If they aren't, Richards is primed and they could make the switch. 

Silly to trade either one of these guys. Trumbo is a perfect match for Pujols. When Albert is hurt and plays DH then Trumbo plays first. When Pujols is feeling good then Trumbo DH's. Who plays LF if we slide Trout to Center and Trumbo is playing first base? Would you start Calhoun? Shuck? Not much depth to choose from (thanks Reagins).

Getting rid of two cost-controlled young players for a questionable ace is a joke. But lets look at what you are proposing in a little more depth.

The only way Arizona trades Ian Kennedy is for minor league depth and/or a position of need now. Do they have any positions where they aren't comfortable?

They've locked up Prado at 3rd, which was their biggest weakness last year. They have Didi Gregorius for the future as a result of the Bauer/Choo/Stubbs trade with the Reds and the Indians, and Cliff Pennington now. At 2nd they have Aaron Hill, who just got a contract extension. So did GoldSchmidt at first. In the OF, they have Kubel, Eaton (on the DL), Ross, and Parra. They also have Matt Davidson at third in the minors who is one to two years away, and high ceiling prospects at nearly every other position in the minors at A/AA. They have enough starters so that Skaggs was sent to AAA, who I assume would be called up to replace Kennedy, should they trade him. They have a good pen.

Oh and they have Miguel Montero at catcher, who they are paying 10 Million a year, and he's locked up through 2017. 

So… why trade Ian Kennedy again? To fill what need?

Bourjos, while I am high on him, only makes sense if he's dominating, Eaton is sent to the minors, and they send back contract dollars to the Angels in the form of Jason Kubel. Trumbo would also work if they sent back Kubel. 

Bourjos and Trumbo together makes zero sense since they have a first baseman, and the NL doesn't have a DH. They have four quality OF now, and even if they sent one back, what is the point of that if they lose Kennedy?

The Angels and D'Backs just don't line up on a trade like this. Kennedy could be traded for young prospects, which the Angels do have depsite their low minor league ranking. 

If the Angels were to trade for a guy like Kennedy, it would take likely guys like Girchuck, Lindsey, etc. Not major league guys. And the D'Backs have no incentive to go for that. So… Trade Idea debunked.

Well thought-out reply, hubs. That's all this thread was about; Kennedy being on the radar for a package centered around Bourjos. The more I think about it, Trumbo probably wouldn't be the other piece in the trade because of the dumb contract to Ross.

Thanks for the response!

• 11 months later...

I dont see it happening shane.

If we move bourjos, what would you guys think about getting david freese for him? Callaspo is ok, but hes really more of a1B in my opinion.

you'd probably have to throw in a minor leaguer, but you could probably get back a major league reliever in the deal, if you did.

Edited by ukyah

This just seems like an odd thread to resurface after a year? Ocho did you do a search and type in last year instead of this year?

I think he bumped it because of this thread.

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/11298-marlins-and-angels-will-match-up-sooner-or-later/page-2

I'm glad the Angels didn't trade for Kennedy. He was crummy before and after he was traded last season.

• 3 years later...

KC basically jacked up their franchise for the next 5-6 years (at least) by what they've done over the last couple of seasons and/or  off seasons.  I guess I could see bringing back Gordon but that deal is just awful.  Tack Ian kennedy on top of it and boom.  Two really terrible deals.  Then after a mediocre season and an opportunity to move some expiring assets, they don't trade anyone for fresh talent even though they weren't going anywhere last year.   Now they're going to lose 90+ games.