• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Serial - Anybody else listening? (SPOILERS)

http://serialpodcast.org/

Serial is a podcast by This American Life where host Sarah Koenig is conducting an ongoing investigation for a murder that happened in 1999, where she goes all through the facts of the case and talks to the accused, and will play audio from witnesses and the police. It plays like a combination of police procedural and crime documentary.

There's only 5 episodes so far, but the case is very intriguing. Also interesting that the investigation she's performing is still ongoing with no real apparent end goal

Edited by Sam Sanchez

Curious on your thoughts if you do check it out. The case is fascinating and even the narrator says she's not exactly sure how she feels about all the evidence she's uncovering. She presents everything very well structured and clearly. Each episode, outside of the first, is about 30 minutes long. So they're pretty quick listens if you're driving or able to listen to stuff at work. I started yesterday and got all caught up in the same day. Now I'm eager for Thursday to come to listen to the next installment.

Edited by Sam Sanchez

I honestly look forward to each episode on thursdays more than I did Christmas morning when I was a kid (we got crappy presents).

In a nutshell:

*Baltimore high school 1999

*A popular boy, from Pakistan, Adnan is dating a Korean girl.  Both second generation.  Parents of both kids don't want them dating.

*She breaks it off winter of their senior year.  Typical hs romance and breakup  (we hear readings from her diary)

*She is murdered after school one winter day.

*Ex boyfriend, Adnan is main suspect.  A stoner friend of his totally implicates him.

*Stoner friend's story has plenty of holes in it.  However, Adnan cannot account for himself that afternoon to police.

*Each episode, you are thinking, "it has to be him".  Then, you hear other stuff, and you think, "he didn't do it.

*Adnan is in jail.  The NPR reporter does tons of jailhouse phone interviews with him.

Each episode lasts about 40 minutes.  It is REALLY  good.

Yeah, listening to this, you're never really even sure what your actual opinion on the matter is. It's just very compelling to hear all the contradictory stories and evidence that went into convicting this guy who can just as easily be innocent as potentially guilty. Though, listening to him talk in the phone calls, he does sound very convincing even when there are some inconsistencies in his stories.

I just find it pretty hard to see how the whole case was built on his friend's testimony but given the track record and reputation of that friend, not to mention his admitted participation and knowledge of the crime beforehand, and his word for it all was accepted by a jury.

In!

Started last night. Had a lot of writing to do today so I was able to catch up.

I'm with the rest of you. Sounds like he probably did it, but there are a ton of holes - enough to create a lot of reasonable doubt. Will be interesting to see where this goes and if there is any resolution in the end. 

Better half has been trying to get me to listen to this for a couple weeks now. We had a road trip, so to speak, so she put it on for our drive.

Pretty unique story.

What skews my perception is kind of leveling where someone is trying to uncover a mystery, but I also consider it's entertainment and she's making a buck (advertising) and even how she tells the story in the podcasts are done in a suspenseful manner opposed to a direct uncovering of all events and timelines. So there is a story element to consider.

Also, we came across others this weekend that listen and everyone's first question is whether he did it or not, but my mind works much like the lawyer lady in the previous episode where instead of looking for an answer it's processing info and deducing relevant material opposed to jumping to conclusions on a week to week basis......asking more questions opposed to answering them.

The one thing I'm fairly certain of is that there is no way there is enough info and empirical data to say he absolutely murdered the girl. Not saying he's innocent, but definitely hard pressed to just give out a guilty verdict and life sentence with all the holes and questions to the entire story.

Kind of curious to see what's next as it seems they hit all the major loopholes and issues and having caught up last night it almost felt like they are running out of arguments or issues to go over.

We were talking about this last night as I caught up. If you consider her cause of death to be strangulation, accused of hands, there is no evidence although maybe taking a look at the rope next to her body should have been done. What I don't get is her being strangled and having no dan evidence under her finger nails or through any kind of struggle.

Actually quite a few things/items that they seemed as irrelevant that now look like they should have been looked at.

I liked this episode. My least favorite is probably the one from I think two weeks ago where they sat down with the team looking into the case now. It's the start of something potentially interesting but I don't believe there was anything new at all that came out of that episode.

Nothing huge in this one, but Laura talking about there not being ANY payphones at all at Best Buy is interesting. It's not proof of innocence at all or anything, but it's indicative at how little things were looked into that didn't fit alongside Jay's telling of the story. Same goes for the girl saying it was impossible for the 2:36 call to be the call after the murder was done.

Edited by Sam Sanchez