• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jake Locker???

howie

Just browsing espn and notice that the Titans have named Metrenburger their QB- got me wondering how long we have the rights to Jake Locker- according the article I read, Angels hold his rights until August of 2015 and he's only signed for football through the end of this season.

Seems like it might be a smart move for him to give baseball a shot since he's still relatively young (he's only 26). I'd love to see him give baseball a shot- from what I read, he was a great baseball prospect

Found this quote in this article:

One anonymous scout was quoted in Baseball America magazine earlier this year saying Locker "could be a potential Hall of Famer" on the diamond. He's also viewed as a potential high-round draftee in football, though depending largely on how he progresses under new UW coach Steve Sarkisian.

http://seattletimes.com/html/huskies/2009669878_uwfb16.html

Great talent but baseball is a game of fine-tuning. The talent gap has to be considerable before an unrefined player can experience success over a refined player.

In a sense, it's the opposite of riding a bike, it doesn't just come back instantly.

If Locker chose baseball, he'd be back in the ST complex for a full year and then would be in Rookie or A ball at age 28. Best case scenario, he'd be a major leaguer at age 30. Worst case, he never makes it out of the low minors and spent his late 20's not making money as a backup QB in the NFL.

All things considered, Jake Locker made his choice. He won't be an Angel.

I realize it probably won't happen, but it would be interesting if it did. Odds are he never sticks as an NFL starter again- I'm sure when the contract was signed with the Angels the possibility was discussed that he gives a good shot in the NFL and considers baseball if the NFL doesn't work out. Why else would the Angels have signed him through 2015?

Seems to me that the NFL hasn't worked out and probably won't. You'd think maybe, just maybe there's a chance

I know I'm probably going way overboard on trying to make a case for why Locker might choose baseball, but according to this article, his wife played softball at UW and her dad played in the Padres system- oh- she's from Placentia, CA too- maybe she wouldn't mind coming home?

http://www.playerwives.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jake-lockers-wife-lauren-greer/

Edited by howie

Found this quote in this article:

One anonymous scout was quoted in Baseball America magazine earlier this year saying Locker "could be a potential Hall of Famer" on the diamond. He's also viewed as a potential high-round draftee in football, though depending largely on how he progresses under new UW coach Steve Sarkisian.

http://seattletimes.com/html/huskies/2009669878_uwfb16.html

I bet that scout is out of a job

More guaranteed money.

He knew he was getting top 10 draft pick money. If he goes with baseball he's making shit for 6 years then hoping he is healthy and plays well enough to get a decent contract when he is FA eligible.

I would have done the same thing. Fully guaranteed 12.5m. Just playing the numbers, a lot of dudes don't make it in baseball.

He went 8th overall because of his size and upside at the most overvalued position in the NFL draft.  We had this discussion when he was drafted and some people were wondering why he would choose football over baseball after his stock slipped.  As Brandon pointed out financially it was a no brainer and it was also the game that he appeared to prefer to play.  The guy is far from done as an NFL QB as some team will give him another shot because he's young and talented enough for some team needing depth to at least give him a shot as a backup.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

• 4 months later...