• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UNC report finds 18 years of academic fraud to keep athletes playing

I remember reading a story several years ago about Dexter Manley of the Washington Redskins pretending to read a newspaper on team flights to hide the fact that he was functionally illiterate. He managed to stay eligible at Oklahoma State for four years, though. I am surprised that there wasn't more investigation about that.

what will be more interesting is watching UNC's actions from here on out.  Do they bend over and grab their ankles or do they try to play the "we didn't know about it" card.  If they bend over and grab their ankles and the NCAA takes away a couple of scholarships, then we will see the true colors of the NCAA.  

Roll out the read carpets for us and we will take away scholarships.

Treat us like USC did and we will raise hell.

I am sorry, but the Miami stuff and this UNC stuff is way worse than what USC did. Not even close.  

I remember going to UNC message boards and they were constantly talking shit about Wooden re: Sam Gilbert.

Screw them.

Those UNC fools can't separate a great coach/human being from a cheat like Uncle Sam Gilbert.

Yes, if he was tired of the J.D. Morgan/Gilbert mess, Coach Wooden could have gone elsewhere.   

But he was the best coach in America, at UCLA, and he and Nell loved life out here.

exactly.

you can argue that it's a dumb rule, but it's a rule that every collegiate athlete knows.  To knowingly tbreak the rules , thereby bringing on investigations/sanctions against your program, teammates and school is incredibly selfish. 

the fact that people hold ncaa athletes

Actually when you sign up to be an ncaa athlete it makes it wrong. Whether you agree with that or not is a different discussion.

sorry but someone making money off their ability isn't wrong. the ncaa is wrong to exploit athletes the way they do.

I am sorry, but the Miami stuff and this UNC stuff is way worse than what USC did. Not even close.  

I completely agree. In the case of Miami, the NCAA botched the investigation so badly that they didn't have grounds to come down hard on Miami. Their investigators violated their own regulations in collecting information against the school. They had a lot of things against Miami, but the methods they used to collect many of them cast serious doubts upon both their motives and the credibility of the information they gathered.

the fact that people hold ncaa athletes

sorry but someone making money off their ability isn't wrong. the ncaa is wrong to exploit athletes the way they do.

you really don't understand the concept of following rules that are not only agreed upon, but actually an agreement that 

has been signed by both parties do you?

the athlete has two choices :

1.honor your agreement or suffer the consequences (you know, like in real life)

or,

2. don't accept the scholarship offer and do something else

Edited by Lou

I completely agree that NCAA athletes ought to be able to make money off their own likenesses and signatures if they can. However, the NCAA says that this is not allowed, and each athlete agrees to this once he signs with a particular school. It is one of the conditions for competing. The regulation should be changed, IMO, but for the time being this is the rule and athletes have to follow it.

you really don't understand the concept of following rules that are not only agreed upon, but actually an agreement that

has been signed by both parties do you?

the athlete has two choices :

1.honor your agreement or suffer the consequences (you know, like in real life)

or,

2. don't accept the scholarship offer and do something else

Tell me what other way a high school kid has to make the NFL? If there is another viable route to the NFL then I would agree, but there's not (I get most will not go pro).

It's a joke a kid can't make money off selling autographs or whatever. Making extra money makes no difference on the field.

a kid has to go to med school to be a doctor or pass the bar to practice law.

just because there's only one viable way doesn't make it ok to break the rules.  if he doesn't like the rules then he shouldn't agree to abide by them.