• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

Watched these yesterday when I realized it wasn't a Foo Fighters show. I don't own any Foo Fighter albums or listen to them outside of Everlong being one of my favorite acoustic songs to play. I also don't know anything about th band outside of Pat Smear being the guitar player for the Germs.

Not really into the Foo Fighter tracks, but really dig music docs and they do such a good job hitting underground or regional sounds. It's pretty sweet to see the relationships they have with very influential bands/sounds....the Bad Brains stuff was killer. Haven't seen a PMA reference since Glassjaw's first album.

Also dig that they use Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros as background music to the stories.

New song available for download on iTunes. Congregation. I haven't had a chance to listen.

Take the talking points of the show script and you have the song. It is... not great. In fact I think they did an ok job showing Nashville and it's C/W influence but relied too much on Parton and Harris for their dialogue.

Watched these yesterday when I realized it wasn't a Foo Fighters show. I don't own any Foo Fighter albums or listen to them outside of Everlong being one of my favorite acoustic songs to play. I also don't know anything about th band outside of Pat Smear being the guitar player for the Germs.

Bass player and former drummer were in Sunny Day Real Estate who Dave asked to join almost immediately after their last show.

They go over it pretty extensively on the Foo Fighters Back and Forth documentary.  The drummer only lasted for one album, Nate Mendel, the bass player is the only band member other than Dave that has been with them since the beginning.

I am sure when they go to Seattle they will talk about Sunny Day Real Estate.

Leche Con Carne is a classic. Dave was in Scream before Nirvana, but I only like their first album which was pre-Dave.

Funny thing about NUFAN is their first 7"s were released on Slap a Ham Records. That was EARLY NUFAN when Chris Dodge of Spazz fame was in the band. They were released on that label because Dodge owned Slap a Ham. When you look at the line up of bands that have been released on Slap a Ham, NUFAN sticks out like a sore thumb. It's especially awesome to know that Chris Dodge out of all the amazing power violence bands he's been in was a founding member.

Yeah I was thinking it was pre SCREAM but maybe not.  He talks about it in his documentary.

I am not even a giant FF fan for their music, Dave Grohl is just awesome at storytelling on film and in general listening to him talk about music is awesome.

TF - you are from the IE/Pomona area right?

Did you ever go to the old Kung Fu shows at the glass house?

Vandals, Ataris, Tsunami Bomb, Bigwig, Longfellow, Undetermined, etc?

I actually found out about NUFAN from a show at the Glass House.  I think they opened for Lagwagon.

Also Chris Shifflet is from No Use For A Name and Me First And The Gimme Gimmes

Saw me first a few months ago in Chicago at riot fest. His brother(bass player for Face to Face) fills in for him when he's not available due to foo fighters commitments. Awesome seeing No use for a name getting some love in here!

Edited by Richard

TF - you are from the IE/Pomona area right?

Did you ever go to the old Kung Fu shows at the glass house?

Vandals, Ataris, Tsunami Bomb, Bigwig, Longfellow, Undetermined, etc?

I actually found out about NUFAN from a show at the Glass House. I think they opened for Lagwagon.

I don't remember any Kung Fu showcases at the Glasshouse, but anytime a Kung Fu band(s) played I didn't miss it. I loved Kung Fu Records.

I also can't believe you through out Longfellow. In my opinion one of the most underrated bands of all time. If they were on a different label/different distributor I feel they could have been HUGE. The singer used to work at the old Borders in Brea off of Imperial. My friend had the biggest crush on him and would make me tag along with her to go there when he worked just to creep on him. Haha.

Dude I ****in loved Longfellow.  They commonly opened for The Vandals/Ataris.  I saw them play so much.  I agree they could have been huge if they were with another label.

There is a place in Fullerton?? called The Back Alley that they played with I think The Vandals and another Kung Fu band called Fall Out that was such an epic show.

If you went to any of those old Vandals/Ataris shows at the Glass House in 99-2001 I was probably at those shows too.  I never missed them.

I was just going through CDs I have and I have a couple Longfellow EPs where it's just a burned cd and a printer label with the band name and song list.  Have the same for Fall Out.

Edited by nate

Yea when I went it was pretty bad.  I just remember it was dark, small and stuffy.  They had these ceiling fans that suspended pretty far down.  At one show people were getting up and hanging onto the ceiling fans.  The security guards would pull them down.  At one point one of the bands stopped the show and said if another person gets pulled down they were going to walk off.

I can't remember what band it was, I remember they were a pretty big name to play such a small place.  Anti Flag or Screeching Weasel or someone like that.

Ha. Played at Back Alley a few times. I think they updated it, but it used to be pretty bad.

First Back Alley show I went to was probably '99. Assorted Jellybeans, Longfellow, Ataris. That was an awesome show filled with all Kung Fu bands.

I loved that venue except for they had carpet throughout the entire floor. If you fell while circle pitting you'd get pretty bad rug burns on your arms/legs.