• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

D.C. Straight edge is my #1 music love. Is that what they focused on?

I dunno.

They talked about Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Teen Idles, Trouble Funk, Chuck Brown and Scream.

There was a dude with glasses that didn't play punk but lead some activist movement wearing a PMA shirt.

They focused on Inner Ear Studios and Dischord records.

To keep the discussion out of the EPL thread...

The whole PMA thing reminds me of a show I went to in 2002 or 2003... RX Bandits were the headliners.  The lead guy was such a douchebag, stopping the show every time a mosh pit broke out or people weren't dancing enough for him.  "While we are dropping bombs in Iraq I don't want to see people beating each other up in a mosh pit, I want to see you dancing with love for the people we are bombing!"  Shit like that.

To top it off they were a really shitty Ska core band

That's not PMA.

It all stems from the book Think and Grow Rich.

YouTube the song "Positive Outlook" by Youth of Today and try to look up the lyrics. That's the legacy of PMA in the hardcore scene. It's more of an outlook on life than hippie togetherness in the skacore scene.

In the late 70s/early 80s most punk was nihilistic shittiness. Bad Brains and the Dischord punks changed punk to say it's ok to live a positive life, change things for the better instead of doing nothing with your life.

Think Darby Crash v Ian Mackaye

To keep the discussion out of the EPL thread...

The whole PMA thing reminds me of a show I went to in 2002 or 2003... RX Bandits were the headliners. The lead guy was such a douchebag, stopping the show every time a mosh pit broke out or people weren't dancing enough for him. "While we are dropping bombs in Iraq I don't want to see people beating each other up in a mosh pit, I want to see you dancing with love for the people we are bombing!" Shit like that.

To top it off they were a really shitty Ska core band

Lol at calling rx bandits a shitty ska core band.

I had one of their CDs and thought they were ok.  I forget who I went to go see that night.  It was on the second floor of a playhouse in Ventura.  Maybe 50 people there.

You would never know if any of their songs were good since they stopped after every 30 seconds or so to tell people to dance more.  I think they were plenty loaded on RX.

Looking back I think another band that played there was another OC band, The Stryder.  I think they were a super emo band.  It was a strange show man.

Here's that song I was telling you about Nate. This is the legacy that started with PMA in 1980. I'll tell you what, lyrics like this changed my life when I was in high school. I could have easily fallen into the throw a bottle at a window type of punk attitude but instead I went the route of being a "posi" kid.

Through the clouds i see the light
my conscience tells me
what's wrong and right
morals and goals deep inside
a bunch of feelings i can't hide,
but that's me
it's the way i live
my outlook on life is positive!
so what should i hide
or try to conceal
all of these feelings
that i feel
like to sit and talk about them
i want to stand and shout them!!

Here's another great PMA type song by the OC band Unity.

Positive mental attitude!
Look in my eyes, tell me what you see.
No trace of ignorance inside me.
Positive thinking, free from guilt.
Proud of friendships that I've built!
Think positive-PMA!
Live positive-PMA!
Act positive-PMA!
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!
Some do say what I believe is wrong.
But in times of hardship my beliefs stand strong.
Something solid in my heart,
too clean too strong, to tear apart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI21RNZtHKg

I can't believe I still remember their name.  I am sure it was because they were so ****ing awful.  That was the one and only time I heard them.

Waiting for my friend to wake up to see if he remembers why we went to that show.  It might have just been because we knew someone there and we got in for free.

edit: turns out they are from NY.  I just assumed they were from OC cause there was such a huge emo scene there.  I think one of the dudes from Glassjaw was in the band too.  Another ****ing terrible band.

edit 2: my friend woke up and can't remember why we went either, all he can remember is how annoying both bands were.  Some RX was involved on our end too...

He thought maybe they opened for The Dead Kennedys or Bad Religion but I would remember that.  Plus the place was too small.

Edited by nate

Here's another great PMA type song by the OC band Unity.

Positive mental attitude!

Look in my eyes, tell me what you see.

No trace of ignorance inside me.

Positive thinking, free from guilt.

Proud of friendships that I've built!

Think positive-PMA!

Live positive-PMA!

Act positive-PMA!

POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!

Some do say what I believe is wrong.

But in times of hardship my beliefs stand strong.

Something solid in my heart,

too clean too strong, to tear apart!

Really like this one, didn't like the other one because of his singing style.  Loved the bass line in this one too.

The lyrics are the exact opposite of FEAR haha.

Edited by nate

Really like this one, didn't like the other one because of his singing style.  Loved the bass line in this one too.

The lyrics are the exact opposite of FEAR haha.

It was pretty much a niche of straight edge hardcore. Starting from the early hardcore punks of D.C. to the straight edge jocks of O.C. and NYC.

So Naked Raygun, Cheap Trick and Urge Overkill open for Foo Fighters at Wrigley. I wonder if this will be a theme in each city this summer. If so, I may have to make travel plans just like Rally.

Hoping to hear of another song released today.

There is something terribly offensive and wrong -- very very WRONG! -- about Cheap Trick opening for the Foo Fighters.  It should be the other way around or they shouldn't be playing together at all.  Please Mr. Nielsen, just say NO!

I had one of their CDs and thought they were ok. I forget who I went to go see that night. It was on the second floor of a playhouse in Ventura. Maybe 50 people there.

You would never know if any of their songs were good since they stopped after every 30 seconds or so to tell people to dance more. I think they were plenty loaded on RX.

Looking back I think another band that played there was another OC band, The Stryder. I think they were a super emo band. It was a strange show man.

Ok I can't blame you for making that comment then. Sounds shitty. Sorry you had to sit through The Stryder.